U.S. Army use of ETD/EDS & CIED doctrine

Dan Jones

Hi all,

Thought I would start a thread on this topic as I am currently writing a report on a related subject, and commentary would be appreciated. I've also not contributed anything here so far, so it would be good to start.

In 2009/10, the US army became the largest customer of ETD devices, surpassing the TSA. However, it is my understanding that the current trend of JIEDDO research places much more emphasis on proactive rather than defensive or reactive measures against IED attack. In part, this has been due to a lack of faith in the efficacy of EDS/ETD technologies, leading to both a reappraisal of traditional methods such as EDD and increased research in areas such as geospatial analysis. This will have a corresponding impact on the military market for EDS/ETD devices. Until true stand-off detection becomes a reality, it seems likely that this trend will continue.

I'm looking to get some commentary from individuals that would know more on this topic than I, as this isn't my usual area of expertise.

In particular, I am interested in determining the ratio of ETD kits (Colorimetric) in U.S. Army inventory to ETD Handheld devices (IMS, GC etc.) such as vapour and particulate detectors, and potential future procurement in this area.

I would be particularly appreciative if servicemen with experience in this area could provide commentary, or even potentially an interview if sufficiently qualified on the subject matter.

Cheers!

Dan Jones

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone? Here's hoping. General commentary on the current trend of CIED doctrine would also be appreciated if the knowledge base here isn't sufficient for a discussion of ETD/EDS in the military.

kathleenayres

Dan-
Wondering if you were ever able to get any information of what the military buys - i.e. the ratio of colorimetric ETD/Chemical Identification kits vs. true ETD handheld devices (IMS, GC).
I'm attempting to some research into this myself and came across your posting.