Transfering from Royal Marines to Aussie Army

Bootneck

Hi all,

After 24 years service in the Royal Marines, I am considering transfering via the Lateral Transfer Scheme (if successful) to the Australian Army. I was wondering if there are any former Royals (or British Army) on this forum that can give me any advice/recommendations.

My good wife will be in tow (ex WREN) and possibly one of our two teenage kids. I will be looking to apply in the next couple of weeks. My background is Landing Craft (former WO1 LC) and latterly MTO and recruit troop commander.

Any comments (or stick!) would be much appreciated.

Paul.

ozsting

How do Royal
I'm a bootneck been out 2 years after 14 in, in the act of joining the ADF at the moment, but I have come to know a few people in oz Defense Force Recruiting so send me you questions and I'll do what I can if your stuck mate.

Hi all,

After 24 years service in the Royal Marines, I am considering transfering via the Lateral Transfer Scheme (if successful) to the Australian Army. I was wondering if there are any former Royals (or British Army) on this forum that can give me any advice/recommendations.

My good wife will be in tow (ex WREN) and possibly one of our two teenage kids. I will be looking to apply in the next couple of weeks. My background is Landing Craft (former WO1 LC) and latterly MTO and recruit troop commander.

Any comments (or stick!) would be much appreciated.

Paul.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi all,

I think you’ll be very much in demand. The Army will be keeping its amphib capability via ships army detachments (which load and unload all cargo), beachmasters plus coastal and riverine ops with LCM8s and a new littoral type combat boat. But the Navy will be manning the new LCMs for ship to shore from the new LHDs. So I’m sure the Navy would very much want you as well.

The lateral recruitment centre is in the following links. Army transport want watercraft officers but nto enlisted which they would probably be interested in commissioning you to Captain for.

Army: Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs

The Navy is also keen for amphib experience pers:

Navy: Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs

See the bottom of the webpage for the email address to send an expression of interest. You just need to attach a resume/CV to the email. I’d try the Army officer panel first rather than enlisted because you’re an WO1.

I’m one and one for helping out with laterals so any further questions send me a PM.

Vanguard

From my understanding, and this is speaking to soldiers around Holsworthy so may not be accurate for the amphibious capacity, you could be more in demand as a senior enlisted figure due to the difficulties in getting local professional soldiers up above Corporal as a lot of the leadership candidates are shipped off to ADFA and, in the views of several servicemen I have spoken with, where they are likely to get into the trouble we have seen of late due to their being unsuitable for being officers. I know most of the Brits we have got brought out lately, they often seem to arrive in batches I don't know if it is organised like that of if it was just a coincidence, have been Corporal, Sergeant or CSM.

Bootneck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you’ll be very much in demand. The Army will be keeping its amphib capability via ships army detachments (which load and unload all cargo), beachmasters plus coastal and riverine ops with LCM8s and a new littoral type combat boat. But the Navy will be manning the new LCMs for ship to shore from the new LHDs. So I’m sure the Navy would very much want you as well.

The lateral recruitment centre is in the following links. Army transport want watercraft officers but nto enlisted which they would probably be interested in commissioning you to Captain for.

Army: ww.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentcentre/canIJoin/overseasApplicants/army.aspx]Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs[/url]

The Navy is also keen for amphib experience pers:

Navy: ww.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentcentre/canIJoin/overseasApplicants/navy.aspx]Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs[/url]

See the bottom of the webpage for the email address to send an expression of interest. You just need to attach a resume/CV to the email. I’d try the Army officer panel first rather than enlisted because you’re an WO1.

I’m one and one for helping out with laterals so any further questions send me a PM.
Hi, thanks for the reply most useful. Just to clarify though - I have alerady been commisioned as a Captain and would be looking at transferring as an officer. The Navy is something I have considered but the Army would be my first preference.

Thanks again and will be in touch again soon.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi, thanks for the reply most useful. Just to clarify though - I have alerady been commisioned as a Captain and would be looking at transferring as an officer. The Navy is something I have considered but the Army would be my first preference.

Thanks again and will be in touch again soon.
All sounds good. I guess a big consideration between Army and Navy apart from the service culture and jobs would be local basing. The main water transport (which is what we call what the RM calls “assault”) base is in Townsville at Ross Island Barracks, which isn’t much of an island and not the same as the brigade level Lavarack Barracks in Townsville which is in the west of town.

Most of the Navy is based right in the middle of Sydney. Ever seen a photo of the Opera House in front of the Harbour Bridge then that is taken from the next cove over from the main fleet base. There is some talk about moving the Navy’s amphib force out of Sydney to Brisbane (where it used to be) but don’t count on it anytime soon.

Townsville tends to be a pretty popular base with families and is certainly cheaper and hotter than Sydney. But the beaches are shyte because of the Great Barrier Reef. Much better surfing in Sydney. But if you like boating and fishing then Townsville is much, much better than Sydney. But if you like the glamour of living in the city then Sydney is the place. Still Townsville is still pretty big for an Australian country town (200,000). I’m sure Raven, Icelord and others might type in with an opinion on basing for either.

ollieroyal

aussie commandos

Hi just wondering if any of you guys know about oversea lateral transfer to the australian commandos? anyone know any bootnecks in the aussie commandos? currently a cpl in the royal marines.

cheers ollie

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi just wondering if any of you guys know about oversea lateral transfer to the australian commandos? anyone know any bootnecks in the aussie commandos? currently a cpl in the royal marines.

cheers ollie
go to the Aust High Commission and ask to speak to the Mil LO.

SOCOMD will be in the ME for another 3 years at least, so no shortage of work
Plus they are also do work in some other countries .....

you's still need to qualify for entry, but paras and RM's have similar selection rigours....

plus - with the focus on expeditionary force capability, there's some opportunity