Semiauto firearm - Rate of fire?

MM90

What is approximately the maximum rate of fire (cyclic) of a semiautomatic firearm? I've read 45-60 rpm with an M16 but it's more than one second to pull and release the trigger and seems a bit too much.

lopez

This is probably for accurate sustained aimed shots. Rather than what is physically and mechanically possible for a semi automatic rifle. You can get bump fire attachable stocks which could theoretically allow for 950 rounds/minute.

Rythm

Practically somewhere around 12-14 rounds per minute. Depending on training, weaponchoice, caliberchoice etc.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What is approximately the maximum rate of fire (cyclic) of a semiautomatic firearm? I've read 45-60 rpm with an M16 but it's more than one second to pull and release the trigger and seems a bit too much.
A bit faster than one a second I'd think. (Just trying to remember the sneaker ranges at Canungra where you'd practice engaging with double taps). The real issue which has been hinted at by others is that of ruining the barrel by overheating it and the possibility of having rounds cook off. There are reasons why sustained fire weapons have heavier barrels, interchangable barrels and fire from an open bolt.

Smokin' Joe

Verified Defense Pro
Semi-Automatics are usually measured in Semi-Auto Rates of fire which is the maximum number of times that the weapon can be ACCURATELY fired within a minute. 45-60 rpm is pretty standard for this type of measurment.

What you are probably looking for is the cyclic rate, which is where it measures how many rounds you can put down range with no aiming or magazine changes.

Cyclic rate of a M-16 is 700-950 rpm. I am sure this is out of the semi-auto mode.

You probably won't find an actual cyclic rate for Semi-auto mode as it is as many times as your little finger can pull the trigger in a minute and would vary so much with different users.