Reasearch

bookworm94

I am doing a little light research based on the Marines. I have yet to have someone answer my questions including google. So, I really need some help. These question hypothetically apply to an infantryman between deployments.

1. Can a superior call you on the phone to tell you you're getting deployed?
2. If so, who would call?
3. How long before deployment do you find out?
4. If you are between deployments do you have to live on base and if not how often do you report to base?

i'm kind of on a time crunch with this so please, please, please answer my questions accurately and quickly. I literally know nothing about the military as you can probably tell.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I am doing a little light research based on the Marines. I have yet to have someone answer my questions including google. So, I really need some help. These question hypothetically apply to an infantryman between deployments.

4. If you are between deployments do you have to live on base and if not how often do you report to base?

i'm kind of on a time crunch with this so please, please, please answer my questions accurately and quickly. I literally know nothing about the military as you can probably tell.
Mate, each country and service has different rules for different things. However on such things as deployments you will be informed by your chain of command which will usually be your unit commander face to face at a unit parade. Notice about being deployed would depend upon the type of deployment. If it was an immediate deployment then the call will come the quickest way possible. For example when I was in the RNZN we got a crash run to sea for a SAR (Search And Rescue) and we were at the pub, so the duty watch officer came and dragged us out of the pub.

Whether you live on or off base you have duties to perform, training etc., which are part of the normal work cycle, so you will be at the place appointed by your commanding officer at the time prescribed or suffer the consequences. Failure to turn up is not an option unless you have a lawful reason, such as being in the sick bay, on detached duty, leave etc. All personnel in the armed forces are paid 24/7 and leave is a privilege not a right.

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

Never served in the USMC, but speaking overall for the various branches of the US military, the answer to all the questions is, "it depends."

Working through the questions in reverse order, there a number of variables which come into play.

For #4, what is the MOS, as well as rank of the Marine involved? Where are they stationed (and corresponding with that, is there base housing available vs. the cost of civilian housing) plus what the specific unit policy is. I suspect some of the more notoriously closed-mouthed branches which touch on INT or SO have specific housing policies which are different from the USMC as a whole. Also does the Marine have dependents (i.e. spouse and/or children)? since that can make a difference.

The other three questions can all have very different answers which I believe would tie in with the Marine's specific MOS and/or unit. Does the Marine have a MOS which would cause them to be potentially 'on call' or part of some sort of rapid reaction force? Or are they an infantry grunt attached to a MEU or to provide security at a USN/USMC base or aboard a US warship?

Again, there are a wide range of potential scenarios for the different questions, with each scenario having a potentially different answer from the others.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
An infantryman is not going to get a phone call about a deployment ever. For a rotational deployment, folks will know months in advance. Orders are always published.

You do not have to live on base, caveat is you may not get a housing allowance if you choose to live off base and base housing is available. Housing availability varies from base to base.

Unless you are in a training environment (boot camp, MOS schools etc.) or the unit is doing a field problem, you go to work and go home on a regular basis like any other job.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Mate, each country and service has different rules for different things. However on such things as deployments you will be informed by your chain of command which will usually be your unit commander face to face at a unit parade. Notice about being deployed would depend upon the type of deployment. If it was an immediate deployment then the call will come the quickest way possible. For example when I was in the RNZN we got a crash run to sea for a SAR (Search And Rescue) and we were at the pub, so the duty watch officer came and dragged us out of the pub.

Whether you live on or off base you have duties to perform, training etc., which are part of the normal work cycle, so you will be at the place appointed by your commanding officer at the time prescribed or suffer the consequences. Failure to turn up is not an option unless you have a lawful reason, such as being in the sick bay, on detached duty, leave etc. All personnel in the armed forces are paid 24/7 and leave is a privilege not a right.
That is what it is meant to be, however I have seen it turn into a shambles at times.I was at Shelly Bay when one of the old lake class was called out for a SAR,
The crew were located in various clubs and bars and sent to the ship. Unfortunately the tide was out , making the gangway down very steep which caused several of the crew to arrive as crumpled heaps on the quarterdeck, the coxswain however out did them all by getting up a good head of steam going down the gangway and as what ever he had drunk had caused brake failure, he continued across the quarterdeck and rotated gracefully over the apposite side railing into Wellington harbour. The powers to be were not amused.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That is what it is meant to be, however I have seen it turn into a shambles at times.I was at Shelly Bay when one of the old lake class was called out for a SAR,
The crew were located in various clubs and bars and sent to the ship. Unfortunately the tide was out , making the gangway down very steep which caused several of the crew to arrive as crumpled heaps on the quarterdeck, the coxswain however out did them all by getting up a good head of steam going down the gangway and as what ever he had drunk had caused brake failure, he continued across the quarterdeck and rotated gracefully over the apposite side railing into Wellington harbour. The powers to be were not amused.
Haha. the Coxswain was leading by example see. Yes, crash runs to see can be interesting to say the least or when I was at Wigram when I wore the light blue uniform a certain 3 Sqn pilot having to be given O2 (oxygen) before doing a SAR with an Iroquois after a rather memorable all ranks function at Wigram. That was the time we drank a Lion Brown beer 20ft trailer tanker dry in an hour and that was just the start. :cheers :drunk1 :dance :drunk

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Haha. the Coxswain was leading by example see. Yes, crash runs to see can be interesting to say the least or when I was at Wigram when I wore the light blue uniform a certain 3 Sqn pilot having to be given O2 (oxygen) before doing a SAR with an Iroquois after a rather memorable all ranks function at Wigram. That was the time we drank a Lion Brown beer 20ft trailer tanker dry in an hour and that was just the start. :cheers :drunk1 :dance :drunk
Yea, you would never get away today with what we did back then, but some how we survived it in one peace our at least most of us did.