ID This Weapon

Manfred

It looks like an 80mm home-grown recoiless rifle, or something along those lines. For some reason, it makes me think of the old Karl-Gustav.

The rifle scope indicates that it is a creation of a talented ameture, and one with access to intersting materials, but anlmost any military would use a smaller, but just as efficient, set of optics.

Possible origins are Iran or Pakistan, they both have access to simple Chinese munitions that would work well on a rough & ready launcher tube like that.

This is all guesswork, for all I know, some Iowa farmer is looking for a new way to launch fireworks (altho the RPG in the foreground makes that unlikely).
Sorry, but the best I can say is that it is either (1) a Hollywood prop, or (2) the prototype of a very short-run local prodution.

hybrid

On second thought... it IS a Hollywood prop, isn't it? :p:
Not really, if you follow the thread of comments on Michael Yons website you'll see that some people have said its a toy then linked to a fark.com image of the GI Joe named Cody with the unknown weapon in the toy box, however it seems that itself is a photoshopped image as the original image held an LBE instead. You can see the difference here

Photoshopped version:
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/skornenicholas_2007/toysoldiernk8.jpg

Original version:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6894934/

So the question still is valid, what is it? My personal guess would be that its a grenade type launcher or a recoilless rifle. Best way to tell what it is would be to see what ammo it was using.

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Looks like a homemade weapon for firing aircraft rockets. I've seen similar, cruder versions. This one is quite sophisticated but in the end, its just a stock with a sporting rifle telescope attached, designed to fire an 80mm aircraft rocket. One of the problems these weapons suffer from is the exhaust backblast from the rockets, which fire back into the firer's face. Some of the others I've seen pictures of featured a shield to protect the firer a'la the early Bazooka/Panzerschreck/Blindicide/etc. This one is lacking it, so it'd be pretty dangerous to fire it IMO, if it is what I suggest it is.

extern

Donno if it has any relation to the 'question picture', but that BS has also some degree of similarity to the new Russian 12,7 mm OTs-44 silensed sniper rifle (by the way an ultimative weapon against any body armor):

Hawkins2k4

Yah, this is my first post but I know my weapons. It is definetly a hollywood prop, there's no trigger guard, and it looks too plasticy in its fabrication, almost like its glued together.