BM-30 with thermobaric rockets

aaaditya

The Soviet Union has had thermobaric weapons for decades.
hey buddy can you explain what's so special about thermobaric weapons,i know that they produce a very high blast preasure and are particularly deadly in confined spaces,but how do they differ from the fuel air explosives?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
hey buddy can you explain what's so special about thermobaric weapons,i know that they produce a very high blast preasure and are particularly deadly in confined spaces,but how do they differ from the fuel air explosives?
they can be an ideal tac weapon. eg in afghanistan they've been used on cave systems. if they're lobbed at the entrance they cause a vortex overpressure back into the cave and basically blast crush anything within the blast effect.

in iraq they've also been used to collapse large buildings. corner shot on a tall multistory building is apparently one of the ways to remove a sniper.

Chrom

1. The explosive inside thermobaric warhead take the oxydator from the air. That alone make it 2-3 times more powerfull per-weight than normal explosive.
2. Explosive fuel tends to leak inside any cover which make thermoabaric warhead very effective against trenches, bunkers, buildings, caves, etc.
3. Thermobaric warhead have unique "slow" explosion profile which make it even more effective against weak buildings like civilian houses.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The BMPT Russian vehicle also uses the Thermobaric warhead launched from a Kornet missle launcher, the fuel that they use is a metallic powder that sprays the inside of a structure, after it mixes with oxygen, you get one heck of a massive explosion.

Lawman

From reports I've heard from Iraq, they found that the SMAW-D thermobaric version was only truly effective when preceded by a conventional version, which breaks through the wall first. The thermobaric version has very little penetration capability, so cannot go through a proper wall, but once it is inside, it has serious effects. Perhaps a small precurser charge would be the order of the day?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
From reports I've heard from Iraq, they found that the SMAW-D thermobaric version was only truly effective when preceded by a conventional version, which breaks through the wall first. The thermobaric version has very little penetration capability, so cannot go through a proper wall, but once it is inside, it has serious effects. Perhaps a small precurser charge would be the order of the day?
It would be interesting to know how Russia`s differ from the U.S version.

caksz

rpg-7v did have thermobaric warhead right?
us army also had shoulder launch thermobaric weapons right ?

lobbie111

Fuel Air Grenades

Do you think there will ever be such a thing, I recently saw Underworld two I know this sounds stupid but they had a little handheld device that splurted out petrol or an explosive substance every direction like a fine mist then an electric spark detonated the mix just like a fuel air bomb

onslaught

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Soviet Union has had thermobaric weapons for decades.
I know they do but I want to know if they have it on rockets for the BM-30. I mean, if they already have it on the TOS-1, why not the BM-30 (or even the BM-27 for that matter).

hudi82

I know they do but I want to know if they have it on rockets for the BM-30. I mean, if they already have it on the TOS-1, why not the BM-30 (or even the BM-27 for that matter).
If by BM-30 you mean Smerch, they do have. Thermobarics are effective, a little bit too wicked for me, imaging to die like that :-(