After US ARMY sniper school....

Battlebacon308

Ok so I understand that you will leave your unit and go to sniper school. Upon completion and graduation of the school you will go back to your unit. So my question is how would you go about transferring into a strictly sniper unit/detachment to be attached to other line units? Or would you just solely pickup the role of a sniper for that unit? If I am wrong about anything please let me know. Only information on the ((US ARMY)) please.. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Gidday cobber, welcome to the forum. This isn't a US centric forum, being very much an international forum. Such questions are best directed to the US Army.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It likely depends on the context within which you were sent to sniper school. It's my understanding that random grunts don't just go there unless they're going to be used in that role.

FormerDirtDart

Ok so I understand that you will leave your unit and go to sniper school. Upon completion and graduation of the school you will go back to your unit. So my question is how would you go about transferring into a strictly sniper unit/detachment to be attached to other line units? Or would you just solely pickup the role of a sniper for that unit? If I am wrong about anything please let me know. Only information on the ((US ARMY)) please.. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
The US Army does not have any "strictly sniper unit/detachments" to be transferred to. So, there is no way to go about getting transferred to them.
Your unit, which sent you to Sniper School, would more than likely have authorized sniper coded positions within its table of organization & equipment (TO&E). In combined arms and infantry battalions these positions would be in the sniper squad in the headquarters company, often under the administrative control of the scout platoon. Stryker follow the same organization, though they also have authorized positions for a single sniper team in each infantry company. These are all (in Combined Arms, Infantry & Stryker battalions) Infantry coded positions.
All in all, completing sniper school earns an additional skill identifier (ASI), you will still carry your same military occupational skill (MOS) and be assigned according to that first and foremost.

Ranger25

Staff member
The US Army does not have any "strictly sniper unit/detachments" to be transferred to. So, there is no way to go about getting transferred to them.
Your unit, which sent you to Sniper School, would more than likely have authorized sniper coded positions within its table of organization & equipment (TO&E). In combined arms and infantry battalions these positions would be in the sniper squad in the headquarters company, often under the administrative control of the scout platoon. Stryker follow the same organization, though they also have authorized positions for a single sniper team in each infantry company. These are all (in Combined Arms, Infantry & Stryker battalions) Infantry coded positions.
All in all, completing sniper school earns an additional skill identifier (ASI), you will still carry your same military occupational skill (MOS) and be assigned according to that first and foremost.
DD is correct. Teams may also be assigned on a Conditional basis to support particular missions as well. Some infantry units also get slots for individuals that return to the same unit and fill similar roles.

If you’ve been selected, congratulations.