40mm granade system by Metal Storm?

sammo

Verified Defense Pro
This weapon is amazing this weapon is a 40mm granade system unmanned weapon. It is all terrain weapon and its just amazing. I would love to know more about this machine! Will someone get back to me as soon as they can please! :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Sammo,

Excitement aside, could we please follow the forum rules?

#15: Proper punctuation is a must. Do not add excessive dots as a replacement for a comma. this....isn't really....fun..to read. also watch the spelling. [Its hrd 2 reed whn peple tipe poorly, its also trashy! This will make posts much nicer, neat and easy to read for fellow participants. This isn't done on most forums, its time you get use to it here.

More:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

Big-E

Banned Member
I still haven't figured what is so great about metal storm. It has a high rate of fire but don't you have to store the ammo in the barrel?

sammo

Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still haven't figured what is so great about metal storm. It has a high rate of fire but don't you have to store the ammo in the barrel?
Yeh the ammo has to be stored in the barrell but seeing how you an fire all 4 barrles it once you dont have much to worry about it gettin hit :unknown

sammo

Verified Defense Pro
Mod edit: Arguing with Webs is NOT the way to continue posting on this site. Fix up your spelling and abide by the rules or you WILL be banned. Permanently. Use a word document to check your posts before submitting them if necessary but fix them up. You're are NOT going to be warned again. AD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big-E

Banned Member
Yeh the ammo has to be stored in the barrell but seeing how you an fire all 4 barrles it once you dont have much to worry about it gettin hit :unknown
So how do you reload... do you have to change barrells? Seems kind of useless if the case.

sammo

Verified Defense Pro
So how do you reload... do you have to change barrells? Seems kind of useless if the case.
to be honest dont know i was wondering if any one else new about it

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The Metalstorm website is a bit light on details, but it did mention there is no breech. It's possible that the ammo is muzzle loaded... Although with the ammo stacked inside the barrell that isn't necessarily as bad.

http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?src=

Also the barrells are modular, so it might be possible to pull one empty one off after an engagement to have it reloaded. I would imagine that the ammo could be setup in a pre-formed stack that would be put into place.

If anyone else has more detailed info, I'd love to hear it.

-Cheers

A

Aussie Digger

The Metalstorm website is a bit light on details, but it did mention there is no breech. It's possible that the ammo is muzzle loaded... Although with the ammo stacked inside the barrell that isn't necessarily as bad.

http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?src=

Also the barrells are modular, so it might be possible to pull one empty one off after an engagement to have it reloaded. I would imagine that the ammo could be setup in a pre-formed stack that would be put into place.

-Cheers
Yep you guys have got it right. The rounds are stacked within the barrels and the barrels replaced once fired. This grenade launcher system is designed as an "area" weapon system designed for ambush type scenario's, instead of using a landmine base system...

The more promising item (to my mind) is the "under barrel" M203 replacement designed by metal storm. It contains 3 40mm grenades in place of the usual 1x 40mm grenade in traditional M203's. An instant 3x fold increase in firepower. It's pretty rare that such a boost is created these days. Again you simply replace the barrel and you have 3 more grenades ready to fire.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the weapon introduced into Australian service when the F-88 Steyr upgrade comes into service.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

-Cheers
I've been to a live firing of the 36 Barrel weapon. It turned a vehicle into a salad strainer in a few seconds. Nothing but air and light at the back of the target. ;)

as for the upgr steyr, I've also seen the initial prototypes (and I think AD has seen a gen 2 version at a Land Warfare Conf recently as well)

A

Aussie Digger

I've been to a live firing of the 36 Barrel weapon. It turned a vehicle into a salad strainer in a few seconds. Nothing but air and light at the back of the target. ;)

as for the upgr steyr, I've also seen the initial prototypes (and I think AD has seen a gen 2 version at a Land Warfare Conf recently as well)
I didn't get a chance to go to the Land Warfare Conference, even though I could have worked overtime and been there, I was to busy watching race cars and chasing Girls on the Gold Coast at the time... :D

Ahem, so anyway I haven't seen one "in the flesh" but I've seen photo's and read up about the weapon. I expect there will be one or so at Avalon, which is the next mil conference/show I'm attending...

Mick73

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think the Metalstorm system is a great idea, quick reloads and getting rounds down range fast when you need them and with not much to cause a stoppage apart from the round it self.
I guess the only draw back would be the logistics i.e. the 40mm GLA barrel would either need to be made cheaply so you can dispose of them (even though dropping of mag's etc is not a good practice or not done to my knowledge) or be made reload able in the field (say in the B Ech).
I wonder if they have any ideas for a 81mm mortar system for the infantry?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I guess the only draw back would be the logistics i.e. the 40mm GLA barrel would either need to be made cheaply so you can dispose of them (even though dropping of mag's etc is not a good practice or not done to my knowledge) or be made reload able in the field (say in the B Ech).
well, to paraphrase IBM, the mag/barrel is a FRU (Field Replaceable Unit)

If you drop it loaded or unloaded it is absolutely useless to the enemy unless they have their own MS weapon.

You would have to seriously get that mag/barrel out of whack if you dropped it and couldn't reinsert.

If we have to account for every round discharged, I reckon that accounting for an MS over and under will be covered to the point of indecent obsession...

:D

Mick73

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
well, to paraphrase IBM, the mag/barrel is a FRU (Field Replaceable Unit)

If you drop it loaded or unloaded it is absolutely useless to the enemy unless they have their own MS weapon.

You would have to seriously get that mag/barrel out of whack if you dropped it and couldn't reinsert.
What I meant was dropping the used mag/barrel instead of tossing it into your dump pouch for reloading back in "B Ech" it might be rather bulky thing to have flopping around.
If it was dropped by a dig, you are right it couldn't be used without the MS system but they could still pull it apart and use it for a IED of sorts hence why field disapline is important so as to not provide any thing for the enemy.

FRU is one thing but is it unit reload able or would it need to go back to the manufacturer for that? I thought I read somewhere it had to go back to the/a "company" for this?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
FRU is one thing but is it unit reload able or would it need to go back to the manufacturer for that? I thought I read somewhere it had to go back to the/a "company" for this?
It's been a while since I had any dealings with MS, but at the time they were designed around QM reloads. Which is why it was unattractive at that stage as a main gun solution. (hence the focus on an "over and under" solution)

just to keep everything above board re discussions, I do hold a small cohort of shares in the tech.

Mick73

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Well the "under over" sounds good as long as it is soldier proof and gets bombs down range when they are needed.

gary1910

I believe Metalstorm is not using standard 40mm but a specially design electrically fired 40mm rds by ST Engg for Metalstorm system.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I believe Metalstorm is not using standard 40mm but a specially design electrically fired 40mm rds by ST Engg for Metalstorm system.
Thye're a stacked and impulse fired round. ST have only recently ben involved in the manufacture of those rounds. Prior to that it was done by Alliant and in Germany.

ammarine92

point in this kind of gun????

Now I understand that this gun can fire multiple rounds at the same time, but metal storm has created a gun that fires 1 mill rounds in less then a second and that is a complete waste of ammo, much the same as i see this is. it may be power full but if you have to load all the barrels to fire it and your low on ammo and there is a small taregt to hit, is this really effective?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
is this really effective?
I've witnessed the live firing of the "million round" platform.

it turned a vehicle into a salad strainer in under 2 seconds.

you're missing the point on what the technology allows the handler to do.

its not just an issue of putting "x rounds on target" - thats the stuff typically absorbed by the "ambulancer chaser" quality publishing houses...