Turkey approves purchase of 100 F-35 aircraft

jedigman

Turkey approves purchase of 100 F-35 aircraft
March 27, 2008 (by Eric L. Palmer) - The English edition of the news source Sabah, has announced that Turkey has committed to the purchase of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Lightning II.

The National assembly of Foreign Affairs Committee confirmed the production contract for the F-35 aircraft. Within the scope of $10.7 billion project, Turkey will purchase 100 F-35A Joint Strike Fighters. These aircraft will be purchased within 10 years.

This should be a big confidence booster to the F-35 program considering some F-35 partner nations are a little more cautious about purchasing the aircraft this early in the program.

The aircraft will add a significant increase in firepower to the Turkish Air Force. Consider that the Air Force has a small number of Boeing KC-135R air-to-air refueling aircraft which would add a lot of range to a strike composed of F-35s. If the jet works as advertised, just 4 aircraft could hit more targets at a longer range with more survivability than a full squadron of the aircraft it is replacing: The F-16.

Another force multiplier for the Turkish F-35 will be the 737 Wedgetail project. This is a Boeing new generation 737 set up as an airborne early warning aircraft with a powerful “MESA” radar system. While this program is still in development and has shown some trouble, hopefully it is on the way to proving itself. The radar is capable of simultaneous air and sea search, fighter control and area search.

The developers and warfighters of the Wedgetail aren’t quite sure of the additional combat potential above and beyond its original requirement. There is a long term possibility that this system could perform long range electronic attack. This is the ability to soft-kill or subvert a variety of sensors within the frequency range of the radar.

Assuming there are no serious delays in the F-35 program, Turkish F-35 production and delivery looks as follows. The list below shows the year production is funded and approved, delivery year and number of aircraft built that year:

Turkish F-35A Production

LRIP (Low Rate Initial Production)
FY-2012/2014/ 10
FY-2013/2015/ 10

Full Rate Production
FY-2014/2016/ 10
FY-2015/2017/ 12
FY-2016/2018/ 12
FY-2017/2019/ 10
FY-2018/2020/10
FY-2019/2021/10
FY-2020/2022/10
FY-2021/2023/6

All Turkish F-35s will have a minimum of Block III software which should give full functionality to the aircraft.

F-16.net will update this story as more information becomes available.

http://www.f-16.net/news_article2803.html

---------------------------------------------------------------
Turkish F-35s will have force multipliers like tankers and AEW aircraft to back them up.
:cool:

s3kiz

Does this mean Turkish F-35s will have full Stealth Technology ?
Theres no such thing as full stealth, merely varying degrees of observability on radars, so yes jedigman the Turkish F35s will have the same stealth capability as the US versions.

I wonder how the Tubitak "stealth paint" is comparable with the one on F35s and whether they will be applied on the Turkish F35s in time. Who knows maybe its already been tested on F16s. But paint alone is no dissapearing magic wand.

Anyway, here is a list of all the countries in partnership in the development of the F35 and their initial estimate purchase quantities:

USA : 2443
UK : 138
Italy : 131
Turkiye : 100
Australia : 100
Holland : 85
Canada : 80
Norway : 48
Denmark : 48

“TAI of Turkey is one of the only two International Suppliers to Northrop Grumman Corporation (the other being Denmark). On 10 December 2007, the Turkish Aerospace Industries, Inc. (TAI) was authorized by Northrop Grumman Corporation to commence fabricating subassemblies for the first two F-35 production aircraft. The subassemblies – composite components and aircraft access doors – will be used in the F-35 center fuselage, a major section of the aircraft being produced by Northrop Grumman, a principal member of the Lockheed Martin-led F-35 global industry team.

In February 2007, Northrop Grumman also signed a letter of intent with TAI to also make it a second source for producing F-35 center fuselages. Northrop Grumman currently produces all F-35 center fuselages at its F-35 assembly facility in Palmdale, Calif.

It is also anticipated that TAI after 2013 will also produce 100% of the F-35 under licence from Lockheed Martin Corporation, as was also the case with the F-16 Fighting Falcon program Peace Onyx I and II.
Turkey also intends to incorporate in the distant future several Turkish designed and manufactured electronic systems (read Aselsan) into the F-35 platform.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35_Lightning_II

And some appetiser photos from the latest F35 flight below.

Cheers.

Atilla [TR]

I thought Turkey was going to buy 120? What happened not enough money? Sell all the F-4's and some F-16's and have a full inventory of new jets. And that production looks slow only 100 over next decade and half? Could they add more to the production lines if wanted? And to all the people that argued that it will not be a good AA fighter, it was stated as one of the requirements to have AA capability only second to the F-22.

ASFC

Yes but every other country in the partnership will want their planes at the same time if they all order. And wasn't Turkey was a late entrant into the project?

F-15 Eagle

Atilla [TR];137871 said:
I thought Turkey was going to buy 120? What happened not enough money? Sell all the F-4's and some F-16's and have a full inventory of new jets. And that production looks slow only 100 over next decade and half? Could they add more to the production lines if wanted? And to all the people that argued that it will not be a good AA fighter, it was stated as one of the requirements to have AA capability only second to the F-22.
Turkey has always had a requirement for 100 aircraft not 120.

The only people who think the F-35 is not a good ATA fighter are kids who have a lot to learn. The F-35 will be a very capable ATA fighter, better than anything else out there that it could face in air combat.

shimmy

Why?

Why is Turkey spending so much on their defense forces? They reportedly are buying f-35s, they are improving their f-16 planes electronics, they are upping their APCs, etc. Are they really afraid of the Iranians? Do they need these weapons to fight the Kurdish freedom fighters? I really see no natural enemies for Turkey. I feel that any threat s to them are terrorist threats , requiring different arms than they are buying.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Atilla [TR];137871 said:
Sell all the F-4's
Sell them to who? Their are only a handful of air forces who still use them and all are looking to replace them or are replacing them.

jedigman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Azerbaijan or Georgia might receive some F-16s or F-4s since they want to join NATO

s3kiz

Why is Turkey spending so much on their defense forces? They reportedly are buying f-35s, they are improving their f-16 planes electronics, they are upping their APCs, etc. Are they really afraid of the Iranians? Do they need these weapons to fight the terrorists? I really see no natural enemies for Turkey. I feel that any threat s to them are terrorist threats , requiring different arms than they are buying.
Good question shimmy.

I highly recommend you start reading the following threads, the answers you are looking for will grab you by the neck: :grab

Balance of Power
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7459

Russia vs Azerbaijan
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=137898#post137898

Cheers.

Atilla [TR]

Why is Turkey spending so much on their defense forces? They reportedly are buying f-35s, they are improving their f-16 planes electronics, they are upping their APCs, etc. Are they really afraid of the Iranians? Do they need these weapons to fight the Kurdish freedom fighters? I really see no natural enemies for Turkey. I feel that any threat s to them are terrorist threats , requiring different arms than they are buying.
Are you serious you are kidding me right? First of all Every nation that is around Turkey other then N.Cyprus, Azerbaijan and Georgia hates Turkey with passion. You have to be kidding I mean the area Turkey is in , Turkey is like a wall between the middle east and Europe. Also they are not Kurdish freedom fighters they are terrorists you want to argue about this check the U.S lists and European lists of terrorists organizations. They are killing Kurds as well Kurds do not want a ethnic homeland they want peace, as we all do.

Last edited:

Beagle

Atilla [TR];137900 said:
Are you serious you are kidding me right? First of all Every nation that is around Turkey other then N.Cyprus, Azerbaijan and Georgia hates Turkey with passion. You have to be kidding I mean the area Turkey is in , Turkey is like a wall between the middle east and Europe. Also they are not Kurdish freedom fighters they are terrorists you want to argue about this check the U.S lists and European lists of terrorists organizations. They are killing Kurds as well Kurds do not want a ethnic homeland they want peace, as we all do.
Plus the political appeasment of the military(For those who don't know what I am talking about ask a 40ish year old turk when you have a few hours to spare and don't let them get onto cypress unless your interested :D ). The Turkey region has always been realitively unstable and contended (add Asia along with the middle east and Europe above). With Turkey slowly getting closer to the US I can see it becoming more pivitol in helping keep the region stable.

s3kiz

Beagle, im a Turk and 40ish, ask me :rel and i'll thrown in a "cyprus issue" free into the deal lol. :)

Jokes aside, the reason why Turkiye is purchasing all these new weapons is due to the same reasons of Cold-War. The USA-UK-Turkish alliance in the Middle East, Easter Europe, Caucasus, and Turkistan is needed to keep the balance of power and relative peace, been gradually rivalled by Russia-Greek-Serb-Armenian alliance, which we will see more of in the coming decades.

Anyway, I highly recommend those interested with global strategy to read through the following two threads, although a bit "messy" and very amateourish, these two threads still highlight the Turkish strategic situation in basic principles and hence the defence needs:

Russia vs Azerbaijan
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/sh...898#post137898

Balance of Power
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7459

Cheers.

jedigman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Theres no such thing as full stealth, merely varying degrees of observability on radars, so yes jedigman the Turkish F35s will have the same stealth capability as the US versions.
I didn't mean 'full stealth technology' as in just the design of the aircraft S3kiz.. But more in the lines of codes and hardware, im assuming Block I and Block II aircraft's wont get the same Stealth ability (codes/hardware) as Block III.