Russia To Build Over 4,500 Aircraft By 2025

XaNDeR

MOSCOW, August 15 (RIA Novosti) - Russia is planning to manufacture more than 4,500 civilian and military aircraft by 2025, worth $250 billion, the head of the Russian aircraft manufacturing mega-holding said Wednesday.

"We are planning to build over 4,500 aircraft, both civilian and military, under contracts totaling $250 billion [by 2025]," said Alexei Fyodorov, general director of the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC).

UAC is a majority state-owned corporation consolidating aircraft-building companies and state assets engaged in the manufacture, design, and sale of military, civilian, transport, and unmanned aircraft.

According to Fyodorov, the Russian aircraft industry will shift the future focus from manufacturing military aircraft to building civilian planes, including passenger planes and heavy transport aircraft.

"While the current manufacturing ratio is seven military aircraft to every civilian aircraft, by 2025 we will be making two civilian planes to each military plane," the official said.

Fyodorov, who also heads Russia's MiG corporation, said by 2025, Russia will be producing about 300 civilian aircraft, 100 transport and special-purpose planes and 100 military aircraft every year.

UAC has also determined the forms and the amount of direct annual investment into Russia's aircraft manufacturing industry for the next three years.

"We have decided to make a direct annual investment in the aircraft industry to the amount of 6 billion rubles ($235 million) during 2008, 2009, and 2010," Fyodorov said.

The state will also contribute to the development of the industry with subsidies worth billions of rubles allocated directly to aircraft manufacturers rather than air carriers as it used to be in the past.

UAC, which was formed in 2006 to help overcome the crisis in Russia's aircraft industry, incorporates many of the country's best-known aircraft builders, including Mikoyan, Ilyushin, Irkut, Sukhoi, Tupolev, and Yakovlev, and other enterprises in the industry.

Fyodorov said the holding would finalize the strategy for the development of Russia's aircraft manufacturing industry by the end of 2007.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070815/71658762.html

First they say they will build 6 Carriers , 12 Borei SSBN , and many new class SSN including alot surface combatants including new Frigate class , new corvette class etc.
Now they claim they will build 4500 aircraft by 2025 , these plans sound almost imposible , though the economy is growing fast , yet still its a very big number.

Chrom

First they say they will build 6 Carriers , 12 Borei SSBN , and many new class SSN including alot surface combatants including new Frigate class , new corvette class etc.
Now they claim they will build 4500 aircraft by 2025 , these plans sound almost imposible , though the economy is growing fast , yet still its a very big number.
USSR was building a lot more than that. Even if Russia reach only 1/3 former USSR capability it will be more than enouth for these numbers.

XaNDeR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
USSR was building a lot more than that. Even if Russia reach only 1/3 former USSR capability it will be more than enouth for these numbers.
Thats true but if you count that 2000 of those planes will be military then you got a huge number , and the new aircraft like Su-34 and more likely PAK-FA , PAK-DA etc. will cost huge amounts of money and even if they plan about 500 of those its a huge huge amount of money. Just look at the USAF , first they planed alot more F-22 now the number is reduced to less than 200, do you really think then that Russia will produce 500 Pak-Fa's ?

rjmaz1

Thats true but if you count that 2000 of those planes will be military then you got a huge number , and the new aircraft like Su-34 and more likely PAK-FA , PAK-DA etc. will cost huge amounts of money and even if they plan about 500 of those its a huge huge amount of money. Just look at the USAF , first they planed alot more F-22 now the number is reduced to less than 200, do you really think then that Russia will produce 500 Pak-Fa's ?
The F-22 program was a mistake known as the death spiral. The F-22 can now perform so many extra roles, if this was known at the start it would have changed other programs. In fact the F-35 may have never got off the ground if the F-22 was going to perform the "strike" mission from the start.

The death spiral can easily be prevented. If something runs 20% over budget you cant buy fewer aircraft to fit into the original budget. This then puts the indiviual aircraft price up and now its back to 10% over budget.. You then order less again so it fits the original budget and then the price of each aircraft goes up and its 5% over budget. Etc.

You end up with so few new F-22 aircraft that you are forced to keep older F-15 aircraft to make up numbers. Now the budget gets blown up completely as having F-15's will cost much more than the original 20% budget increase.

With the F-22 money should have been found and they should have ordered 500 aircraft. When the yearly production bill comes up, if they dont have enough money retire some F-15's, F-16's and F-117's.

Russia is smarter than the US as they dont have politicians running the show. You'll never see a death spiral in Russian aviation.

AntiBond007

Russia is smarter than the US as they dont have politicians running the show.

Hehe, as a Russian, I can tell you that most of this statments are more for politcal purposes than anything else. It doesn't really matter if they can do it, what matters is if Russians believe it. Its trying to pound its chest, mostly for the consumption of its own population. Patriotism is of key importance to Russia, and spreading the image of an all powerful Army is vital. No one will remember in 10 years who promised what, and if push comes to shove, they can always "bend" the truth, as oversight is nonexistant. Many people who lived in the Soviet Union are familiar with this tactics. All these recent actions by Russia (i.e North Pole expedition etc) are just a show. People need to understand that reality is quite different from the image their trying to project. Unless the Army changed head to toe in the last 1.5 years, believe me when I say its not exactly a well oiled machine, but that doesn't matter, only image matters.

KGB

Or in other words Putin's wants to look successful when he retires. We better avoid eating sushi now;)

f-22fan12

Just because Russia SAYS it will build all these things doesn't mean Russia will. I seriously doubt that many aircraft carriers and SSBNs will be built. Their economy is growing fast so they might be able to build HALF of all that.

Last edited:

f-22fan12

The F-22 program was a mistake known as the death spiral. The F-22 can now perform so many extra roles, if this was known at the start it would have changed other programs. In fact the F-35 may have never got off the ground if the F-22 was going to perform the "strike" mission from the start.

The death spiral can easily be prevented. If something runs 20% over budget you cant buy fewer aircraft to fit into the original budget. This then puts the indiviual aircraft price up and now its back to 10% over budget.. You then order less again so it fits the original budget and then the price of each aircraft goes up and its 5% over budget. Etc.

You end up with so few new F-22 aircraft that you are forced to keep older F-15 aircraft to make up numbers. Now the budget gets blown up completely as having F-15's will cost much more than the original 20% budget increase.

With the F-22 money should have been found and they should have ordered 500 aircraft. When the yearly production bill comes up, if they dont have enough money retire some F-15's, F-16's and F-117's.

Russia is smarter than the US as they dont have politicians running the show. You'll never see a death spiral in Russian aviation.
I firmly believe that the F-22 program was NOT a mistake. The F-22 is needed to maintain U.S. air superiority for decades to come. Yes, it went over budget, but don't all government programs go over budget? The F-22s main mission is air superiority and it can also perform strike missions. But the USAF wants more than 1000 strike aircraft. The USAF can't afford 1000 F-22s for strike missions.

The F-22 rules the sky. :usa

contedicavour

Just because Russia SAYS it will build all these things doesn't mean Russia will. I seriously doubt that many aircraft carriers and SSBNs will be built. Their economy is growing fast so they might be able to build HALF of all that.

:usa
... and I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me how the Russian air force can maintain current strength levels... even supposing they can build 1000 military planes from now 'til 2025, it would only be enough to replace the current number of fighters+bombers+trainers+troop transports.

It's a bit like the USN announcing that in the next 30 years they will build 12 CVNs, 18 boomers, 50 SSNs, 50 DDGs, 800 fighters ;) Yes of course, but this is what's needed to replace existing numbers...

cheers

f-22fan12

... and I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me how the Russian air force can maintain current strength levels... even supposing they can build 1000 military planes from now 'til 2025, it would only be enough to replace the current number of fighters+bombers+trainers+troop transports.

It's a bit like the USN announcing that in the next 30 years they will build 12 CVNs, 18 boomers, 50 SSNs, 50 DDGs, 800 fighters ;) Yes of course, but this is what's needed to replace existing numbers...

cheers
I also think that there is no way for Russia to maintain its current airforce and army strength. Do you think Russia could buy 9,000 more T-72 tanks? NO. Or Hundreds more Su-27s. NO.

contedicavour

I also think that there is no way for Russia to maintain its current airforce and army strength. Do you think Russia could buy 9,000 more T-72 tanks? NO. Or Hundreds more Su-27s. NO.
And there you're mentioning relatively modern material.
I see more weaknesses in fighterbomber role (MIG29 and SU27 with R77 are good enough for another 15 years for pure fighter role). SU24s were wonderful fighterbombers in the '90s but are getting old now. MIG23/27 and SU22 haven't been replaced in sufficient numbers. I'd give priority to buying more SU30 like they export to India instead of building SU34 (cost-efficiency ratio-wise it would make more sense).
Regarding the army, I see armoured tank divisions and SAMs as points of excellence. Even if every 3 T72 there is a new T80/90 it's still enough if you compare with the reduction in MBT numbers in places like Germany. However there aren't enough replacements (actually none since MI-28 isn't being produced) for MI-24 Hinds, and the stock of APCs and AIFVs is growing old (BTR60/70/80 and BMP-1/2) and has been severely used in Chechnia.
Regarding the navy, all FFGs except the 7 border guard Krivak-III and the 1 Neustrashimy are completely obsolete. There are only a dozen operational DDGs between Sovremmenny and Udaloy. So even if a lot of work is being done for new SSBNs and SSNs and there are plans for new carriers, the bulk of the fleet needs about 25 new type 20380/22380 ships real fast.

cheers

ZeroOne

hmmm...

the way I see it "military aircraft" might mean anything from an UAV to the Tu-160. Also, they didn't claim Russia would be buying all of the production, quite a number will be exported regardless of Russia's acquirement possibilities.

So, 100 military aircraft per year really doesn't sound excessive to me.

contedicavour

Putin has just announced that as of midnight 4 strategic bombers plus several refueling planes will restart strategic flights 24h/24 over Russian skies. This had been suspended in 1992.
Beyond obsolete TU95 and 20 or so TU160 what else does the Russian air force call "strategic bomber" ? It isn't easy to keep 4 bombers permanently in the air isn't it ?

cheers

ZeroOne

Putin has just announced that as of midnight 4 strategic bombers plus several refueling planes will restart strategic flights 24h/24 over Russian skies. This had been suspended in 1992.
Beyond obsolete TU95 and 20 or so TU160 what else does the Russian air force call "strategic bomber" ? It isn't easy to keep 4 bombers permanently in the air isn't it ?

cheers
There should be 200-300 strategic bombers (Tu160/Tu95/Tu22) still operative, but it seems like a crazy stunt to pull. I do hope Russia doesn't bomb the Lomonosov ridge or anything like that. :)

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
the way I see it "military aircraft" might mean anything from an UAV to the Tu-160. Also, they didn't claim Russia would be buying all of the production, quite a number will be exported regardless of Russia's acquirement possibilities.
That's what i was thinking too. For all we know, half of those could be COIN cropdusters for export alone.

swerve

Super Moderator
That's what i was thinking too. For all we know, half of those could be COIN cropdusters for export alone.
Yes, and that's the annual production by 2025. It doesn't say that'll be the average production until then, & the tone (increasing production . . . ) suggests it won't be.

The figures ound feasible, but 1) that is not the same thing as certain, & 2) the figures still imply that Russias air forces will continue to decline rapidly in numbers. Most current aircraft, even with life extensions, will have to retire by 2025.

LancerMc

Currently the Russian Air Force is going to be spending a lot of its money modernizing their combat fleet of MiG-29's and Su-27/30's.

It is developing a new 5th generation fighter with Sukhoi but when and if it enters service is still a big question. The aircraft is only in an early design phase.

Attune to current defense spending by Russia they will not build 4,500 new aircraft by 2025 and is it is very likely they could not afford that unless they increase defense spending dramatically.

Current spending trends are to updating the twin engine fighter fleet, buying new aircraft like the Su-34, Mil-28, Ka-52, a new light transport, and updating the Tu-160 fleet. Eventually if Sukhoi produces the new fighter the Russian AF will start buying that aircraft.

Chrom

Currently the Russian Air Force is going to be spending a lot of its money modernizing their combat fleet of MiG-29's and Su-27/30's.

It is developing a new 5th generation fighter with Sukhoi but when and if it enters service is still a big question. The aircraft is only in an early design phase.

Attune to current defense spending by Russia they will not build 4,500 new aircraft by 2025 and is it is very likely they could not afford that unless they increase defense spending dramatically.

Current spending trends are to updating the twin engine fighter fleet, buying new aircraft like the Su-34, Mil-28, Ka-52, a new light transport, and updating the Tu-160 fleet. Eventually if Sukhoi produces the new fighter the Russian AF will start buying that aircraft.

You are wrong if you think what the number reffered to PAK-FA/Tu-160/IL-96 aircraft type. For example, small An-2 like civilian aircraft cost less than 800.000$, and for all i know Russia might build a lot of them. New civilian Su-100 is planned to be build in high 100s number in next 10 years alone. So, without telling WHAT aircraft type these numbers might be great overestimation OR great understimation.

Aussie

Banned Member

What is the definition of "5th generation"? Stealth?

The Su-35 being unveiled at MAKS next week is no mere "4th generation" plane. The only thing it has in common with the Su-27 is the basic airframe design. Minus the lack of stealth, is it really that far behind the F-22 in capability?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The figures ound feasible, but 1) that is not the same thing as certain, & 2) the figures still imply that Russias air forces will continue to decline rapidly in numbers. Most current aircraft, even with life extensions, will have to retire by 2025.
I think the numbers are screwed deliberately.

If we assume a progressive shift from military to civilian production, the whole thing boils down to about 65% average military production until 2025 (yes, i calculated it, that's not a random figure). Out of 4,500 aircraft to be produced in total, that's 2,950 military aircraft. Now guess how many aircraft the Russian Airforce currently operates. Exactly, "about 3,000".