If you wanted to buy a jet

Box

I heard that you can buy tanks for private use, but can you buy a military jet like a mig for private use? I mean if you have the right training and the license for it of course.

I'm assuming they have a limit on what you can buy so Bill Gates couldn't go crazy and build up a sizeable air force of F-35s or Eurofighters.

kiwifighter300

Re: PeterCrisp

Mr Conservative is hinting at the answer. Many countries apply sale/export/re-export restrictions on there military hardware. As has the US government on re-export of RNZAF A4 Skyhawks which is causing the sale process to drag on.

Thanks

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a number of ex military jets that are part of the warbird community. However they are only in particular countries that allow them to be on their civil register. For instance US, NZ, Aust and UK.

Most of them are usually ex trainers such as the Jet Provost, Vampire, L-29 for instance. Reason for that is they cheaper to own and operate. Also they are usually less complex to fly. Most of the more serious war birds have very strict requirements before the CA authorities will allow someone to fly it. From memory I think when an ex Swiss Hawker Hunter was doing the NZ warbird circuit a few years ago only the late Air Marshal Sir Kenneth Hayr was given CA clearance to fly it. Other ex RAF Hunter pilots later got clearance but only them.

It is not just FMS requirements that are placing restrictions such as the NZ - US case. A lot has to do with whether or not the actual aircraft are relevant for their intended future task. In the NZ case not having digital cockpits make the NZ aircraft unattractive to third parties as their future utility as trainers of pilots for 4th Gen+ fighters is becoming marginal.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
One question.

What about ejection seats? Are they still functioning in the privately owned jets?
With enough money servicing them shouldn't be a problem but what about the law.
Is it allowed to use it and land with it on civil airports? Such a seat includes some kind of explosive power so could this be a problem?

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
One question.

What about ejection seats? Are they still functioning in the privately owned jets?
With enough money servicing them shouldn't be a problem but what about the law.
Is it allowed to use it and land with it on civil airports? Such a seat includes some kind of explosive power so could this be a problem?
All ejections seats in NZ warbirds come under CA Regulations Part 43 as outlined in AC43-21 12/97 to give you the Law on it. The explosive charges in the seat must comply with Department of Labour safety requirements under the Explosives Act. What other countries that do allow privately owned jet warbirds to operate with an explosive egress system is probably similar.

kiwifighter300

As I believe it. Under FAA rules aerobatic aircraft must have pilot bailout systems in place. This can be as simple as pull rings for door ejection, quick release harnesses and parachutes as in the Cessna A152. But for something like the L39 it may require the seats to be hot if your are planning on doing aerobatics.