Delta vs. Regular?

410Cougar

Hey there everyone...

I've been looking at alot of video lately and it seems that Europe is tending to go more with a delta style wing (ie Mirage, Eurofighter) and that the US is utilising a different style of wing.

Is there that much of a difference when it comes to performance between the 2 different styles of wing?

Attila

Gaenth

Hey Cougar,

Have you noticed as well that practically every design from 30 years ago includes some sort of auxiliary control surfaces like canards, lerx or more typical tail mounted horizontal stabilizers? That's because Delta Wings need them to give the aircraft more maneuverability and stability at high angles of atack. Think about it and current and future American designs are delta winged but they look more "classic" for having a tail. The wing of an A-7 or a Flanker particularily, seem as typical swept wings but they actually work more like a delta wing, their dynamics are based on typical triangular delta wings but have more irregular shapes to be efficient at lower speeds or high AOAs and as in the case of Stealth designs with reflection of radar waves. So, no, their performance isn't the same, but their principles are.

psyclops

There are differences, but as Gaenth pointed out there are ways to make their performances similar. A true delta wing needs a forward-edge sweep of at least a certain degree (my memory fails me--anyone got it offhand?) so no American planes qualify, although the F-15 came close to being a clipped delta. Deltas give low drag at high speed and mid to high altitude, but they give a rough ride at low level and are not efficient at low speeds. In order to counter this, forward canards give a little bit of extra lift at the front but more importantly create vortices that energize the boundary layer over the wing at low speed and high AoA. Like anything else, wing shape is a function of role, in that different shapes have different aerodynamic qualities at different speeds, altitudes, and AoA. The A-10, for example, has long straight wings because those are most efficient at low speed (<Mach1) and low altitudes, where A-10s spend all their time. Swing-wing fighters provided a pre-fly-by-wire solution to the efficiency problem by enabling the wing "shape" to change depending on flight profile. Once computers were able to start making small changes in wing shape (via ailerons and flaps) several times per second to account for all kinds of changing air characteristics, such mechanically complicated and heavy means were no longer necessary. If your main flight profile is going to be at medium altitude, there's not much reason not to have a configuration like Gripen/Typhoon/Rafale. F-22 and F-35 wingplans are heavily influenced by the need for low radar observability (not to say stealth), but thanks to FBW they don't have to look like F-117.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. There's lots of good aerodynamics info out there, and I'm sure some of the regulars here have a better understanding of it than I.

crobato

The wings on the F-16 and F-15 work more like delta wings. They along with the MiG-21, represent a third category of deltas that should be called tailed deltas.

new generation of fighters, like F-22, F-35 and prototypes like X-32 and YF-23, feature yet another type of wing seperate from delta or swept. Call it a diamond wing. A fighter that has a diamond layout is the Taiwan IDF fighter.