Australian Ra Sigs Ciscon Help!! :)

Scro

Gday all :)

I wasn't really sure wether to put this in here or in the army section, anywhoo.

I applied into the RAAF as a CISCON (communications, informations, systems controller) and was accepted. (despite everyone saying it's night impossible to get a spot) I'm pretty stoked as I love IT and the idea of traveling, whilst meeting new people appeals to me. I'm leaving for Edinburgh in April of 08 to begin my boot camp training. Apon asking around i've been told alot of information about Edinburgh and what's to be expected, but I can't find ANYTHING on the school of RASIGS. The actual rasigs website says nothing about the lifestyle and what it's like.

I know these questions may seem stupid but, i'm just wanting to know how it all works:

a) What are the living conditions like? Do you get your own room and share a toilet/kitchen/whatever? Are you allowed off the base?

d) Do they have internet connections? can you have a computer in your room? (i like playing games :rolleyes: )

c) Does anyone have any tips of stuff I could brush up on? (maths,whatever) I can't seem to find much about what's actualy taught because everyone says it's classified :O

e) After my training at RASIGS, where would I most likely be stationed to begin with?

Last edited:

sunderer

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I assume you are joining the RAAF. For a start you will not be going to Edinburgh but Wagga,you wil be allowed of base after about 3 weeks and they should have internet connections for your use but it will be a privilage not a right to use it.As to the ciscon specific stuff I have no idea.

Scro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I assume you are joining the RAAF. For a start you will not be going to Edinburgh but Wagga,you wil be allowed of base after about 3 weeks and they should have internet connections for your use but it will be a privilage not a right to use it.As to the ciscon specific stuff I have no idea.
really? When did they change that? My enlistment papers I got in December said Edinburgh. Also my questions are pertaining to the RASIGS school, not the boot camp which I accept is going to be a bit of a culture shock(read:character building) for me :D

cheers

sunderer

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
1RTU moved to Wagga at the end of the year and the first course starts there this month.

barra

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The school of signals is at Simpson Barracks (Watsonia) in Melbourne. I am unsure how long the CISCON course goes for.

You can expect a single room with shared toilet, shower and a common room. May be able to get an internet connection in your room and you can expect to be posted to any RAAF base in Australia maybe even Butterworth ( Malaysia) when you get some time up. Also chances of an operational deployment in this mustering would be fairly high.

Hope this helps fill in some blanks.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Simpson Barracks was in pretty crap condition, but they have been rebuilding the last few years and the work is ongoing. It’s getting the new ‘Single LEAP’ accommodation standard, with built in broad band/wireless, this year, but work probably won’t be finished until next year at the earliest.

Despite 1RTU moving the course may still start at Edinburgh for kit issue and the likes before the recruits are trucked to Wagga. Surely but the RAAF or DFR is organising the transport to base for enlistment? In which case go where they send you.

Scro

Simpson Barracks was in pretty crap condition, but they have been rebuilding the last few years and the work is ongoing. It’s getting the new ‘Single LEAP’ accommodation standard, with built in broad band/wireless, this year, but work probably won’t be finished until next year at the earliest.

Despite 1RTU moving the course may still start at Edinburgh for kit issue and the likes before the recruits are trucked to Wagga. Surely but the RAAF or DFR is organising the transport to base for enlistment? In which case go where they send you.

Yeah i'm not worried. They can take me where ever they like for the boot camp. I was just a bit suprised.

Can you tell me anymore of what my day will consist of on average whilst i'm doing my learning at Simpsons Barracks? I'm going to be spending a large amount of time there. It's kind of a bumer that there's no internet avaliable from your room :(

Scro

Hey Scro,
I am also accepted as a CISCON on 8th April, Will see you there.
Alrighty cool. I'm leaving on the 7th. Name's Admin: Name deleted. mate, you might as well learn about basic OPSEC here before you get to orientation. if we happen to bump into each other :)

Last edited by a moderator:

njw89

Ok XXXX My name is Admin: Name deleted. mate, you might as well learn about basic OPSEC here before you get to orientation. :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Fellas, don't use your names in here. Create a dummy disposable email acct and get people to respond to that instead once you sort the basics out.

njw89

ok, sorry. Didn't know about that
-njw89

Admin, no need to apologise to us. It's basic security in the fact that it's your details that need to be suppressed.

The internet is not a benign warm and huggy environment. ;)

hendo

so what equipment is used as a CISCON i have my final interview coming up and i have to find out as much as i can. any help would be great

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
so what equipment is used as a CISCON i have my final interview coming up and i have to find out as much as i can. any help would be great
They're not interested in whether you know what gear is in use - and a lot of the current gear is classified anyway.

they're more interested in how you think and whether you can task and process concurrently

the technology is a small subset of the job and once you/re in then they'll work out whether you have the aptitude.

an awareness of what comms technology is in use is of minimal advantage

hendo

They're not interested in whether you know what gear is in use - and a lot of the current gear is classified anyway.

they're more interested in how you think and whether you can task and process concurrently

the technology is a small subset of the job and once you/re in then they'll work out whether you have the aptitude.

an awareness of what comms technology is in use is of minimal advantage
great thankyou for your fast reply