Air dominance: NATO vs. Russia - hypothetical

Status
Not open for further replies.

VonNeumann

Recently I've been mired in debates about Russian and American 5th gen fighter jets, which quickly spread out to other areas, like missile systems, surrveilance etc. This has all been very interesting for me, but since I am a completey n00b in this area I thought I might as people who know more than me.

So my question is:
In a scenario where a war would erupt between Russia and Nato members (fought on the russian european border), who would be able to establish air dominance? Suppose that Russia and Nato have the same weapons and technology as today, with the addition of a full F-35 fleet for NATO and T-50 fleet for Russia. Assume that on the ground neither side prevails, so the front remains at the current borders.

Particularly, I'm interested in the role of F-22 and F-35, to what extent will they be used in air to air and air to ground missions, especially F-35. Also, what will be the use (if any) of legacy (4th and previous gens) fighters on both sides (assume they are still around). And since I've noticed that american (by extent Nato) missile system are in general older than russian, will they be rendered useless by the T-50 and will russian missile systems be able to take out american fighters?

Thank you for your answeres, and please excuse my ignorance. If this kind of thread is not allowed here or if it has already been posted, feel free to delete it.

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread locked. Vs. threads are not permitted. See Forum Rules #3. For potentially relevant topic material (and an explanation behind rule #3 see this thread) please look at the following threads, Airpower 101, and A brief history of LO. Further, attempt discussion while including aircraft which have not yet reach IOC (Initial Operational Capacity) makes it quite difficult to realistically determine the impact a particular platform will have, when operating alongside other units which comprise a combat system. Further complicating matters is the inclusion of an aircraft which appears to have not yet entered initial production and therefore design characteristics are still subject to change, which means the capabilities of the platform a subject to change, and therefore the role of the platform in the system which comprises the whole combat effort and capability of a particular nation or alliance. Gone are the days when modern armed forces would fight head-on against each other and the capabilities of the individual platform were most important/relevant. With the advances made in computers, communications, connectivity and information sharing, it is more important for platforms to be able to interact with and support the whole system, which is made up of different platforms and has capabilities greater than any one individual platform, or even type of platform.
-Preceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.