5th generation aircraft: Is it a real term?

jessmo24

There is a debate raging on key publishing ATM discussing the true meaning of aircraft generations. some people are of the opinion that these generations dont even exist.
Most people like me believe that these are the generations.

1st: Jet powered airframes, Guns, subsonic
2nd: Swept wings deltas alumminum alloys, semi-active missiles, radar.
3rd: Analog controls, better radars, better engines, blown flaps, canards,ECM and a host of other aerodynamic advances.
4th: Lifting bodies, BVR, Doppler radar, relaxed stability vortex lift surfaces.
4.5: Advanced avionics, Post stall maneuvering, high AOA. reduced RCS super cruising
5th: VLO, sensor fusion, super cruise, all in the same package.

Please discuss and note my mistakes. Is the entire generations concepts only something made up by We Americans?

Also, Ill add that some publications, like SLD have long articles concerning 5th generation tactics. Leveraging Vth Generation Aircraft

Are we Americans delusional for Thinking The F-22, F-35, T-50, and possibly the J-x could represent a shift?

jessmo24

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. Message boards edutain me.

2. I enjoy a lively debate, and strategy page is a little dead.

3. Since this is my 1st post here id like to feel out the community and see if others share my same opinions.

4. Key publishing doesn't welcome discussion like this.. well its more like they didn't welcome me. If this topic bores you they by all means don't let me bother you.

Scorpion82

I just asked out of interest as it feels a bit like "I'm looking for a forum where everyone shares my opinion". I don't think it is usually welcomed if people carry over discussions from other forums, especially if such discussions has been beaten to death. But maybe it's just me.

On a general note:
Generations may have first been used by the Americans, but they are a useful way to categorize aircraft in general, as it is done with other technological products.

And yes I think the 5th generation, according the US definition, represents a shift in how battles are fought in the air.

jessmo24

Im starting to realize the community isnt as
big as I imagined. We all frequent the same boards.
Do Herald and Bluewings have accounts here also?

SQDLDR

There is a debate raging on key publishing ATM discussing the true meaning of aircraft generations. some people are of the opinion that these generations dont even exist.

2nd: Swept wings deltas alumminum alloys, semi-active missiles, radar.
3rd: Analog controls, better radars, better engines, blown flaps, canards,ECM and a host of other aerodynamic advances.
4th: Lifting bodies, BVR, Doppler radar, relaxed stability vortex lift surfaces.
4.5: Advanced avionics, Post stall maneuvering, high AOA. reduced RCS super cruising

Please discuss and note my mistakes. Is the entire generations concepts only something made up by We Americans?

Also, Ill add that some publications, like SLD have long articles concerning 5th generation tactics. Leveraging Vth Generation Aircraft

Are we Americans delusional for Thinking The F-22, F-35, T-50, and possibly the J-x could represent a shift?
I'm with SASwannabe on this one. I think you've missed the mark. You've failed to include the 2 generations of aircraft BEFORE the Jet. Many examples of those generational advances can be easily found on the internet. Your logic has the Wright Bros, then RamJet engines. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm American, and I'm delusional.

jessmo24

I'm with SASwannabe on this one. I think you've missed the mark. You've failed to include the 2 generations of aircraft BEFORE the Jet. Many examples of those generational advances can be easily found on the internet. Your logic has the Wright Bros, then RamJet engines. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm American, and I'm delusional.
I said, or meant to say JET aircraft. I thought the fact that I was talking about jets was pretty self explanatory.

SQDLDR

There is a debate raging on key publishing ATM discussing the true meaning of aircraft generations. some people are of the opinion that these generations don't even exist.

2nd: Swept wings deltas aluminum alloys, semi-active missiles, radar.

There is a debate raging on key publishing ATM discussing the true meaning of aircraft generations. some people are of the opinion that these generations don't even exist.

I'm sorry. I guess I didn't see that part in your lead statement; which I cut and paste above.
Most observers plot the 'generational' movement from conception to "today". Hence the remark about the Wright Bros.
I guess I'm in the minority, as I'm only a newbie 'round these parts.
If your plot point starts with the Me-262, then your "flight line" holds some water.
Your plot points 4 and 4.5 are melded.
If Analog FCs include "fly-by-wire". Is the future digital?
Does the 6th gen tech include:
HSST-Scramjet Tech, UCAV's, service ceilings above 65K, Plasma/Laser Weapons Systems, Integrated VLO, CAD/M, Robotics/NanoTech.
Just asking.