Woman in New Zealand SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craftsmen

Nonsence

Its true we don't have any bereted females in the SAS in Australia other than the wives and girlfriends, but it cannot be said of the British SAS who had deployed at least two bereted female's from their regiments in Ireland in the middle to late eighties as operatives alongside the men. It has also been long talked about in SAS folklore that a female bereted sniper, who was supposed to be the best shot in the regiment, was one of the snipers detailed to cover the SAS entry into the Irian embassy in Princes Gate. In addition I am sure that anyone who has served in the SAS, Commando's or royal marine's would acknowledge that Naval Clearence Divers are the elite of any armed forces in the world, so this young women has my respects:):).

riksavage

Banned Member
Its true we don't have any bereted females in the SAS in Australia other than the wives and girlfriends, but it cannot be said of the British SAS who had deployed at least two bereted female's from their regiments in Ireland in the middle to late eighties as operatives alongside the men. It has also been long talked about in SAS folklore that a female bereted sniper, who was supposed to be the best shot in the regiment, was one of the snipers detailed to cover the SAS entry into the Irian embassy in Princes Gate. In addition I am sure that anyone who has served in the SAS, Commando's or royal marine's would acknowledge that Naval Clearence Divers are the elite of any armed forces in the world, so this young women has my respects:):).
NO females have passed UK SAS selection and legitimately worn either the coveted SF wings or beret. Women have and will continue to be 'attached' in the intelligence cell or to aid in operations where women are needed (typically covert) to fulfill a specific role. Women do serve in the Special Reconnaissance Regiment, the same way they used to serve in 14-Intelligence Cell when operating across the water in NI. Selection for the SRR is rigorous and very demanding both physically and mentally, but it isn't in the same league as joint SBS/SAS selection.

Craftsmen

Dude you are dead wrong and you don't know what you are talking about:p: last time I looked Singapore didn't even have an SAS so how would you know. Australia has and we have been in close operations with them since the formation of the regiment in 1958. I have first hand knowledge of least one of these two women, and I can tell you that without a doubt that they both were bereted members of 22 SAS and regulars. ,

They were not ruperts but came up from the ranks having completed their training like anyone else. I know because I have photo's with this women having just been bereted as proof, standing in front of 22 SAS mess with her graduating class and their CO at the time. :p:

riksavage

Banned Member
Dude you are dead wrong and you don't know what you are talking about:p: last time I looked Singapore didn't even have an SAS so how would you know. Australia has and we have been in close operations with them since the formation of the regiment in 1958. I have first hand knowledge of least one of these two women, and I can tell you that without a doubt that they both were bereted members of 22 SAS and regulars. ,

They were not ruperts but came up from the ranks having completed their training like anyone else. I know because I have photo's with this women having just been bereted as proof, standing in front of 22 SAS mess with her graduating class and their CO at the time. :p:
Mate, I’m a Brit living in Singapore, and you are living in a fantasy land! NO woman has ever successfully completed SAS selection – Officer, NCO or Private Soldier. The only women serving at Stirling Lines were either Sig’s, Intelligence Corp or posted to an administrative function. Don’t confuse attached with badged.

What was the date of the said photo?

Rayna

Hmmm, This is one question I am wondering about...
Has anyone heard of or read [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Up-Woman-Sarah-Ford/dp/000638837X]One Up: A Woman in the SAS: Amazon.co.uk: Sarah Ford: Books[/ame] (not an advertisement/spam). I haven't read it having only just found it but it looks interesting. I might see if i can track it down in a library here and give it a go for some bedside reading considering my author won't have anything out until may :(. From the ratings, it doesn't look to bad.

And is it possible for someone to serve but not be noted? If so, there could be we just might not know.

riksavage

Banned Member
Hmmm, This is one question I am wondering about...
Has anyone heard of or read One Up: A Woman in the SAS: Amazon.co.uk: Sarah Ford: Books (not an advertisement/spam). I haven't read it having only just found it but it looks interesting. I might see if i can track it down in a library here and give it a go for some bedside reading considering my author won't have anything out until may :(. From the ratings, it doesn't look to bad.

And is it possible for someone to serve but not be noted? If so, there could be we just might not know.
I think this refers to a certain women attached to CRW wing, who was married to a SAS NCO, she was a serving soldier as well. Again, she served as an attached rank and did NOT pass selection. Many women worked alongside serving members in NI, most drawn from 14-Int Company.

Rayna

I think this refers to a certain women attached to CRW wing, who was married to a SAS NCO, she was a serving soldier as well. Again, she served as an attached rank and did NOT pass selection. Many women worked alongside serving members in NI, most drawn from 14-Int Company.

Ah gotcha, Thanks :) One small question though what does NI mean? :confused:

Well about woman in special forces in the UK There was something I was reading though early this morning said that the only special forces unit to recruit woman was the The Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR) but then again i am only going off websites and we all know that that information can never be perfect because anyone with $15 to buy a domain and a web host can get one and say what they want. British Special Forces | SAS | SBS | SFSG | SRR Was what i was looking at.

Craftsmen

Well pal I served in the aussie SAS as a bereted armourer- fitter:mad: and later on as a troop leader. On one of several exchanges with the brits in the early eighties we were all ntroduced to Sarah by andy as a bereted member of his regiment. She was something of a star at the time and truthfully we had never heard of a women in the regiment before, let alone the other's and thought it was some joke until we saw her shoot. Some years later a mate of mine on exchange with the SBS sent me a autographed copy of her book called "a Women in the SAS"in which she claims to have won her "wings" like any one else. Do not confuse what is the policy of todays army with that of nearly twenty something years ago fighting the IRA, even today if she is still alive, and well into her fifties, telling her to her face she didn't earn her wings would not be good for your health.:pope

riksavage

Banned Member
Well pal I served in the aussie SAS as a bereted armourer- fitter:mad: and later on as a troop leader. On one of several exchanges with the brits in the early eighties we were all ntroduced to Sarah by andy as a bereted member of his regiment. She was something of a star at the time and truthfully we had never heard of a women in the regiment before, let alone the other's and thought it was some joke until we saw her shoot. Some years later a mate of mine on exchange with the SBS sent me a autographed copy of her book called "a Women in the SAS"in which she claims to have won her "wings" like any one else. Do not confuse what is the policy of todays army with that of nearly twenty something years ago fighting the IRA, even today if she is still alive, and well into her fifties, telling her to her face she didn't earn her wings would not be good for your health.:pope
I stand-by my claim, the woman you are referring to DID NOT do selection, she was attached to CRW, was involved in a number of overseas training assignments along with other members of the wing providing protective security training. She was not the first, and will not be the last female to undertake such taskings. The argument here is 'have any UK female soldiers passed SAS selection?' The answer is NO, they have however been attached from MI5, SSR, 14-Int and elsewhere. The issue of them wearing the beret is a contentious one, and very much under the control of the resident RSM.

Rayna

Ah So the book i was referring to is her? I might grab it and have a go

Although interesting you said "won" I remember the interview with Colbert when he was in Baghdad and interviewing this woman who was a MP she said she didn't "win" her combat badge but earned it Tareq Salha & Robin Balcom | June 9, 2009 | ColbertNation.com :p Just something i picked up.

riksavage- Could have selection been different back then?

Last edited:

Craftsmen

How the hell would you know:confused:did you ever serve in the regiment? and if so what year and what was your call sign for identification?:;) If you havn't as I suspect how the hell would you know?:mad: by reading books by people that never served in SAS or wannabees. There is only one way anyone can were that beret and that is to earn it, here NZ or Brition its all the same. If she hadn't succesfully completed the selection course she wouldn't have been bereted and would have been exposed as a fraud by the regiment during her book launch end of story.

Craftsmen

Passing the selection course is the easy part:D ( yeah I am serious, theirs is in the cold, ours in extreame heat with salties (crocs) and venomus snakes to worry about :confused:) gaining the respect of your mates in your troop is the biggest hurdle. Now they claimed her and let her wear the beret and participate in the training and we took them on face value on it.

Rayna

Passing the selection course is the easy part:D ( yeah I am serious, theirs is in the cold, ours in extreame heat with salties (crocs) and venomus snakes to worry about :confused:) gaining the respect of your mates in your troop is the biggest hurdle. Now they claimed her and let her wear the beret and participate in the training and we took them on face value on it.
We don't need to worry about the snakes here :) Our SAS have got a + there.

riksavage

Banned Member
How the hell would you know:confused:did you ever serve in the regiment? and if so what year and what was your call sign for identification?:;) If you havn't as I suspect how the hell would you know?:mad: by reading books by people that never served in SAS or wannabees. There is only one way anyone can were that beret and that is to earn it, here NZ or Brition its all the same. If she hadn't succesfully completed the selection course she wouldn't have been bereted and would have been exposed as a fraud by the regiment during her book launch end of story.
I hope that tirade wasn't directed at me? By the way its wear, not were.

Now if you ever get the chance to visit the SF club in London you will see the walls are adorned with those who have served past and present in both photographic and oil & canvas form. Many famous women are displayed, primarily those who served in the SOE with distinction. There are however no records or images pertaining to women who have successfully completed SAS/SBS selection, legitimately worn the beret, SF wings or winged dagger regimental badge typically worn on the beret or number ones. So unless I've missed a monumental change in the last twenty years I continue to stand by my statement.

Rayna

Hi mate sorry I don't understand your message? Can you explain + there means please:D
Our SAS, have a plus, a positive, an upside or whatever you want to call it while training because we don't need to worry about crocks and snakes.... Might get attacked by genetically engineered intestine eating sheep though ;) but other than that thats what i intended the + to mean. No snakes = + for our SAS

Craftsmen

Admin:

Text deleted. There is no need or point in engaging others like this. You can get your point across without having to resort to such responses.

You're indicating direct involvement (and I assume that is with the Regiment) - if that's the case then feel free to provide me with an email address that I can check from our side of the fence.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiwifighter300

I read an article on the site New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz | Stuff.co.nz and it states that 200 men and woman from the SAS were given an award from the U.S president for there role in the fighting in Afganistan.

I didn,t know that woman were able to serve with the SAS.

Do woman serve with the British and Australian SAS.?
Short answer yes they can:

NZDF - Women in Armed Forces Amendment Act Passed

However, there are a number of support personal that are not qualified SAS posted to 1 NZSAS (signals, armorers etc). The women mentioned in the article may be working in these support roles.

I guess we won't know for sure until the first women to enter the SAS leaves the SAS.

As for SASR and 21/22/23SAS I guess it will depend on those countries laws governing women in combat roles

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.