Which Arab Country Has Strongest Military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerasimos

A huge market will connect to E.U,I don't think that this is a problem.A new good expansion.Especially for Germany and its big exports capabilities!

atilla

peace

some how ıf turky wont get ın EU ıt ıs better for the future for turkey ın my opınıon but for that vısıon regıon must be ın peace ıraq must be formed realy by ıts own people ısrael and arab states should come to peace and after all thıs tradıng wıll boom every ones eco ın our regıon and wıll probly effect realy good greece and turkey as well then ın future may be we can talk unıon of mıd east open trade polıcy ın mıd east maybe another unıon could be establıshed ınculudıng greece bulgarıa and all mıd east states ?????? actualy thıs ıs the key to peace ın mıd east and thıs unıon could rule ;)

Gerasimos

Yes it is a good thinking because Greece has good relations with the countries in Middle East far better than other Western countries.But I doubt Greeks will leave E.U to join this union.I believe Greece will have a double role in both unions.

fantasma

It would be a major step forward in the area if Turkey enters the E.U but which Turkey??? A Turkey that do not recognises basic human rights such as those of the remnants of the greek community in Istanbul numbering 150.000 a few decades ago and today less than 3000 cannot even today handover their properties to their children under a secret legitimate established from the 60s?? The older people cannot pass their houses to their children. Once they pass away the turkish state takes their properties..It will be a long way for Turkey but if capable to make the nessesary adjustments will be the first to be glad having a european neighbour.

atilla

yes every one could be rıght when ıt comes to humanrıght ı cant reply to fantazma because ı dont have too much knowledge about propertıes and so on and neıther about greek mınorıtıes but as far as ı know ortodox churches are ın good condıtıon and lots of froeıngners can buy houses or hotels or establıshments ın sea coast or ın ıstanbul every thıng can not be solved by turkısh governments or parlıments or the laws they pass or the human rıghts storıes problem ıs dıfferent causes are dıfferent when ıt comes to mıd east ınculudıng ıran azerbeycan armenıa syrıa realy free ıraq ısrael jordan lebanon egypt theır border confiligs can not be solved sınce ww1 eıther borders drawen wrong or some thıng ıs goıng wrong:) sınce my chıldhood always same story ın these lands:) no peace that ıs why ı saıd whıth out thınkıng relıgıon race or power strugels or EU or USA what ever... thıs regıon has to sıt and talk not only by goverments but also natıons every one can fıght every one can wın and lose thıs ıs the easy part dıffıcult part ıs reunıon of the regıon free fom west or any other world power or any other relıgıous based gowernment ıf regıon can unıte ınculudıng greece and bulgırıa and ısrıael mean all mıddel east and ıf can come up to agement ın trems of trade ınterems of freedom then maybe establıshıng same money same army same laws thıs could solve everyones problem

atilla

ı must say one thıng more ı m afraıd turkey doesnt need EU EU needs turkey and turkısh publıc maınly doesnt want to enter EU

contedicavour

Sorry guys :eek:fftopic

The thread's on the armed forces of arab countries... Turkey is not an Arab country...
Btw, Turkey's defence industry has made huge improvements lately, and is becoming more and more autonomous. However the day when it will be 100% autonomous are several decades away. Which is good : why waste your taxpayers' money to develop locally very expensive copies of what's available for much less elsewhere ?
Turkey has a very important role to play in multinational projects up to the F-35 Lightning II. It can build locally with help from HDW modern SSKs, etc.
That doesn't mean "autonomous", it means modern and efficient integration of Turkey's defence industry with its American and European partners.

cheers

Rich

atilla said:
ı must say one thıng more ı m afraıd turkey doesnt need EU EU needs turkey and turkısh publıc maınly doesnt want to enter EU
Why would the EU "need" Turkey. But thats not the thread. I'd hazard Egypt has the best Arab military, and probably the largest. They sport Yank equipment now, have plenty of missiles with chems to toss around, have a decent frigate Navy "harpoon heavy", their air force is the 4th largest operator of F-16 in the world, I think they still have a number of Mirage 2000's. They have a large mobile army, again fairly Yank heavy with equipment and also sporting airborne brigades and commando units. They have air mobile units and generally can dance around an enemy to get position. But most of all they have professionalized their military command along western lines. What sunk them against the Jews was lousy leadership. The average Egyptian soldier fought hard and well.

Yes the Egyptians would be the biggest problem. Sadat, being a genius, saw the future and kicked the dirty commies out while aligning with the West. It cost him his life but saved his country.

contedicavour

Rich said:
Why would the EU "need" Turkey. But thats not the thread. I'd hazard Egypt has the best Arab military, and probably the largest. They sport Yank equipment now, have plenty of missiles with chems to toss around, have a decent frigate Navy "harpoon heavy", their air force is the 4th largest operator of F-16 in the world, I think they still have a number of Mirage 2000's. They have a large mobile army, again fairly Yank heavy with equipment and also sporting airborne brigades and commando units. They have air mobile units and generally can dance around an enemy to get position. But most of all they have professionalized their military command along western lines. What sunk them against the Jews was lousy leadership. The average Egyptian soldier fought hard and well.

Yes the Egyptians would be the biggest problem. Sadat, being a genius, saw the future and kicked the dirty commies out while aligning with the West. It cost him his life but saved his country.
I agree with your analysis.
Egypt's armed forces are THE pillar of stability, a bit like the Turkish armed forces were before democracy settled in gradually in the '70s.
My only fear is that the still widely conscript army may turn against their officers in case of big civilian unrest over controversial matters such as Israel vs Hezbollah & Hamas, West vs Iran in the Gulf, etc.

cheers

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
In terms of training they really seem to have increased their capabilities.
For ecample they operate an own modern NTC for their mechanized troops.
Those training areas are the best and nearest to real battle you get.

swerve

Super Moderator
Waylander said:
I thougth Egypt is no arab state.
Or are we talking of muslim states?

The main problem I see for Saudi-Arabia is manning their equipment. I heard that most arab countrys (S-A, Kuwait, UAE, etc) have problems to find enough qualified personal.
Egypt is Arab, & not entirely Muslim (significant Christian minority, especially in the south - been there, seen towns with more churches than mosques).

Right about the Saudis, Kuwait, UAE - and Libya had the same problem, in the days when its armed forces actually had enough functioning equipment for manning to be a worry, before their even greater shortage of maintenance skills caused everything to break down. But Egypt, Jordan, Algeria, & a few others are able to man all their weapons. One of the reasons I'd put Egypt ahead of Saudi Arabia, despite the Saudis having far more powerful weapons.

ahussains

I am in Favour of Saudis they can resist much rather then any in terms of equiment they have good thing Nice tanks ground forces + air force is good and they also can easily purchase expensive things they have the money while Egypt can not cross there limit they also have storng ARmy , Air Force but they can not be affective more then saudis.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
But it is not about what if. If it would just be about money than Japan would have the second largest and best equipped army of the world with us coming third.
The Saudis and much more the smaller gulf states are not able to man the equipment they still have. What would they do with more weapons?

moughoun

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
ahussains said:
I am in Favour of Saudis they can resist much rather then any in terms of equiment they have good thing Nice tanks ground forces + air force is good and they also can easily purchase expensive things they have the money while Egypt can not cross there limit they also have storng ARmy , Air Force but they can not be affective more then saudis.
the Saudi's?!?....most of their equipment is maintained by foreign companies, they use Pakistain contractors for soldier's including in their special forces, do you remember that hostage rescue from SA a while back, that was shown on TV?...most of the men who carried that out, were contracted former Pakistani SSG, the Saud's are a joke militarily, yes they have nice kit, but they don't know how to use it, it's mostly used by the princes to drive/fly in and look cool

the Jordanian's on the other hand have a well trained and equipped military, alot of their kit is actually home produced, unlike other Arab states

Scorpius

I feel sorry for the Saudis.I mean what are they going to do in wartime.Probably a revolt or something will happen.

contedicavour

moughoun said:
the Saudi's?!?....most of their equipment is maintained by foreign companies, they use Pakistain contractors for soldier's including in their special forces, do you remember that hostage rescue from SA a while back, that was shown on TV?...most of the men who carried that out, were contracted former Pakistani SSG, the Saud's are a joke militarily, yes they have nice kit, but they don't know how to use it, it's mostly used by the princes to drive/fly in and look cool

the Jordanian's on the other hand have a well trained and equipped military, alot of their kit is actually home produced, unlike other Arab states
Saudis have extraordinary weaponry, and Typhoons and Leclerc MBTs with add even more to their existing inventory. However these aren't worth much until the Saudi National Guard is fully trained and proves its potential. How about some peacekeeping in Lebanon ?

cheers

contedicavour

Waylander said:
He he, nice try. :D
Yeah right;) we'll need help from several countries since our supposedly leftist and pacifist government hasn't found anything better to do than commit 3,000 of our best troops to Lebanon. We aren't even out of Iraq that we are already committing to another huge operation. With existing pitiful budgets of course, and I'm not even mentioning ROEs. My oh my if only politicians learned a thing or 2 at least ... no, they just keep on committing the same mistakes on and on. :rolleyes:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'm curious about wether we send troops in or not and what kind of troops this will be.
I would really wonder if this would be combat troops.
Just imagine an israeli is wounded or killed by a german soldier. The outcry would be like a storm.

contedicavour

Waylander said:
I'm curious about wether we send troops in or not and what kind of troops this will be.
I would really wonder if this would be combat troops.
Just imagine an israeli is wounded or killed by a german soldier. The outcry would be like a storm.
Well we're probably sending the Lagunari and San Marco, our 2 key regiments of the Amphibious Brigade, plus parachutists of the Folgore. These are our elite combat troops...
which is delicate for us as well as we've got some bad memories of WW2 as well :(

Status
Not open for further replies.