What's the name of your favourite military operation?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Operation Enduring Freedom?
I think this is one of the best examples for useless operations all over he globe and for mistakes and bad decisions in crisis regions.
Look at the useless Operations at the Horn of Africa an the mediterrainean. The problems in A-stan. The false decisions which lead to Operation Iraqi freedom.
And the billions of Dollars and Euros which would have better spend for education and safety in third world countries.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Operation Enduring Freedom?
I think this is one of the best examples for useless operations all over he globe and for mistakes and bad decisions in crisis regions.
Look at the useless Operations at the Horn of Africa an the mediterrainean. The problems in A-stan. The false decisions which lead to Operation Iraqi freedom.
And the billions of Dollars and Euros which would have better spend for education and safety in third world countries.
OUCH Waylander, no aiming below the belt.:nutkick

USNavySEAL3310

I was talking about the military aspect of the operation, not the political reasoning behind it. They are, in this case, separate issues.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The military decisions?
As stated before the naval operations around africa and the mediterrainean are near to be useless.
In A-stan the situation for OEF and ISAF units is also not one which encourages you to clap your hands.
It is not like the first invasion of A-stan did the whole job.
Rebells, Taliban and anti-western Warlords remained in the south.
I agree that the speed of the US response is amazing but you cannot really call it a successfull operation. Neither a military success nor a political one.

USNavySEAL3310

The naval operations that were conducted in Africa were focused on monitoring terror operations that included the movement of arms that would have been used in future terror attacks. This can't be called a failure or a success because it's not over. It's an on-going, mostly intelligence-gathering operation.

The other part of the African-related operations is the training of several African countries in counter-terrorism tactics. This also includes humanitarian relief for those countries.

The military attacks in Afghanistan weren't complete but they did serve several purposes that furthered the global war on terror which was, for the most part, a success. First, it launched a large bombing campaign to eliminate al Qaeda training camps and Taliban strongholds. Second, this campaign against the Taliban gave Afghanistan a chance to hold free elections without al Qaeda/Taliban interference. The Afghan National Police and Army were formed to control their own borders and to fight a small anti-terror war on their own. There were some warlords near Kabul that did surrender their arms and recognize the new Afghanistan government. This showed that the Afghanistan government was at least noticed by surrounding militant groups.

Outside of Kabul and to the south there are still, as you've said, Taliban groups and warlords who still control large areas. However, the U.S.'s military involvement has allowed Afghanistan to take control of its capital and to begin restoring its government.

The African operations were, I believe, good decisions because they further influenced anti-terror feelings around the world. The Afghanistan operation was, in my opinion, good because it further promoted independence and, to a slight degree, democracy in a Middle-Eastern country that was once greatly influenced by the Mid-East terror network

I couldn't call the operation a success or a failure at the moment. It's an on-going operation that's not over with.

Last edited:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The active part of the mission at the horn of africa is not very successfull. If you look at the statistics of how many weapons and potential terrorists have been caught by the ships there than you see that it is near to nothing.

In A-stan the north is getting hotter and hotter, the south is already burning and the fire is coming closer and closer to Kabul with the president being more a major of Kabul than the leader of A-stan.

Africa is a mess as always.

And the middle east is full of hotspots with terrorists and islamic fanatics being raised faster as ever before.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes - things are a mess - history has already shown that a outside fighting force, ie: Russia, Western Europe and the U.S will not have an influence on Middle Eastern affairs, after a short period of time all the Middle Eastern countries will turn in some way dedicated on getting you out of there.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
One last word.

Don't get me wrong. I would really like to see OEF being an successfull operation. We are also part of it and a success would be a great benefit.
The beginning was impressive. Not mainly because of the results but because of the sheer speed and power with which the US Armed Forces reacted to 9/11. This showed how far ahead they are in terms of capabilities.
But the operational successes are low spread and this is the problem.

FutureTank

Banned Member
There are so many!
German Märzfieber for anti-partisan operations in 1942.
Bagration by Red Army in 1944 for the irony because it was Bagration who was insiting on rigid defense in Belorussia during Napoleon's invasion which would have had Russians speaking French and Germany remaining disunited (hence no WW1 or Hitler).

What was the German name for Brighton landing operation as part of Sealion? I remember it was quite poetic.

The Japanese offesive on Imphal was Operation U-Go...and the Allied withdrawal was called U-Haul? :D

Cheers
Greg

bonita.h

MY favor is the PingXingGuan Big Victory . It blasted in the China battlefield of WW2. It's the first big triumph the Chinese resistance force gained against the Japanese Invasion Troops which broke up the myth of "Japs are undefeatable" .

FutureTank

Banned Member
MY favor is the PingXingGuan Big Victory . It blasted in the China battlefield of WW2. It's the first big triumph the Chinese resistance force gained against the Japanese Invasion Troops which broke up the myth of "Japs are undefeatable" .
Was the operation so named before or after the event? Would you have more info on this op?

bonita.h

Was the operation so named before or after the event? Would you have more info on this op?
the op is a branch of the Pingxingguan Campaign, conducted by the famous military commander LiBiao, who was widely regarded as the most gifted general of CPC,had never been defeated through the whole anti-japanese war and civil war. but ironically for his ambition for the replacement of Maozedong,he died with the accusation of counterrevolution in an plane crash due to bad weather(officially alleged) . the battle was occured in Sep 1937.when the japs are crazily attacking the central China.
Sorry,i am not certain when the op named, probably after.

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
Operation "christmas Ham"

Christmas Ham took place the 9th week of this year... my first participation in a military exercise. My job was to make the food :( ...

It was basicly a company-sized battle between 3rd company and 5th company with the 2nd(I'm placed here) supporting the 3rd with maintenance and bridges. The EOD-platoon from the 4th company helped the 3rd with mine-clearance.

The weather was the worst possible with temperatures between -5 to -20 celsius, very windy, much snow and a dip in a lake.

I like the name, wrong time of the year and it doesn't make any sense.

bonita.h

Christmas Ham took place the 9th week of this year... my first participation in a military exercise. My job was to make the food :( ...

It was basicly a company-sized battle between 3rd company and 5th company with the 2nd(I'm placed here) supporting the 3rd with maintenance and bridges. The EOD-platoon from the 4th company helped the 3rd with mine-clearance.

The weather was the worst possible with temperatures between -5 to -20 celsius, very windy, much snow and a dip in a lake.

logistics are also very essential in the warfare:jump2 ,
my grandpa had joint the China's civil war and Korean war more than half century ago, his job is also cooking, hehe~ but i still admire his military background.

Last edited:

FutureTank

Banned Member

Maybe your command used the online military operation name generator?
www.ubique.ch/codename/

Sgt.Banes

I'd have to say: Operation Torch, Operation Husky, Operation Overlord, Operation Urgent Fury, Operation Just Cause, and Operation Desert Storm.