What tank is this?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't call the Avenger a real "air defense system". That's even worse than calling the Chaparral it replaced one. ;)

But yeah, current AD systems work with offboard sensor platforms and networked systems.
So the moderna can receive targeting data in real time, allowing it to engage aircraft with the 2A42? I'm having trouble believing this...

My2Cents

if you look at the abrams for ADF, the onboard config is Link 16 sympathetic and it's part olf the broader Link 22 roadmap
The Abrams, Bradley, and Striker, have got the data link, but may not have the rest of hardware and software. The only gun on the Abrams and Striker capable of high elevation would be the CROWS with a .50 cal. The Bradley does not even have that.

The 30mm would also have quit a bit more reach and impact.
So the moderna can receive targeting data in real time, allowing it to engage aircraft with the 2A42? I'm having trouble believing this...
The radar is not sending targeting data to the tank, but tracking data. Much less precise. The tank is still handling the actual targeting.

The radar unit passes messages like ‘aircraft and location wwww, elevation xxxx, heading yyyy, and speed zzzz, plus a time. To engage it the tank would use that data and the tank’s on board computer plus the tank’s location (GPS) to calculate where to point the gun sight so that the aircraft is in the view of view. The operator then tracks the target with the sight and laser rangefinder to generating a firing solution and lead the target. :hul

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Abrams, Bradley, and Striker, have got the data link, but may not have the rest of hardware and software. The only gun on the Abrams and Striker capable of high elevation would be the CROWS with a .50 cal. The Bradley does not even have that.
the issue I was hilighting was that the comms makes them part of the tactical common operating picture - the capacity to pull assistance means that the need to have a JTAC or JBAC riding shotgun with the column is reduced

Xrm150

I once watched a show on tv and it talked about a tank with a "Force Field" inside the armor. It was really just high voltage armor or something like that. If someone could let me know what kind of tank that was I would appreciate it. Thanks!