What if war were to break out between southeast asia?

Lionhearti

And Vietnam got bogged down in a 10 year occupation, which took its toll on the economy, against a number of resistance groups that it never subdued.

If a border clash were to take place again between Vietnam and China, the results could be very different. The PLA is a completely different force than it was in 1979.
And one has to remember China dosent have to worry about the Rompin Stompin Russian Red Ass anymore. Russian Army is a mockery to what the Soviet's were

Beatmaster

And one has to remember China dosent have to worry about the Rompin Stompin Russian Red Ass anymore. Russian Army is a mockery to what the Soviet's were
Sorry buddy but what you say aint true,
Yes Russia's military power is reduced by far compared to their massive numbers during the cold war.
On the otherhand they have put in a great effort to give their military capabilities a more professional mindset also the numerous upgrades to their army start to pay off.
So in short said Russia might be not the big bully anymore as it was and i am sure that China has done its homework but take my word for it, if Russia wants to invade China they can do so and they have the better cards atm.
Sure if China keeps their buildup phase as it is they will become equal to Russia or perhaps even stronger but for now Russia does not have to fear China and vise versa.

In regards to China invading Vietnam i can say this China does have everything it needs to do this however due the geographic location of Vietnam and its massive resources and overall mindset its going to be hell for China.
Technological the Chinese are far superior but keep in mind if every tree is hiding a machine gun nest then a 2 cent bullet can be just as effective as all the tech that China can bring in.
In that regard China will do no better then the US did, the only benefit China has which the US did not have on such scale is the advantage to sit next door.

In regards to the Vietnamese forces they are outdated but they have a good history in terms of putting up fight.
Now i doubt that they have any ability to perform a mass invasion.
However i think it should be clear that the Vietnamese forces are a tough cookie given the fact that they have numbers and the right "mindset" helped by the fact that they can be the underdog.

At least i think so offensive i see little that the Vietnamese forces can do however defensive its a different story as the Vietnamese have proven in every war they ever fought.
And in regards to the Chinese and their Neighborhood i believe the Vietnamese can teach them a lesson or 2 in terms of defending.

surpreme

Sorry buddy but what you say aint true,
Yes Russia's military power is reduced by far compared to their massive numbers during the cold war.
On the otherhand they have put in a great effort to give their military capabilities a more professional mindset also the numerous upgrades to their army start to pay off.
So in short said Russia might be not the big bully anymore as it was and i am sure that China has done its homework but take my word for it, if Russia wants to invade China they can do so and they have the better cards atm.
Sure if China keeps their buildup phase as it is they will become equal to Russia or perhaps even stronger but for now Russia does not have to fear China and vise versa.

In regards to China invading Vietnam i can say this China does have everything it needs to do this however due the geographic location of Vietnam and its massive resources and overall mindset its going to be hell for China.
Technological the Chinese are far superior but keep in mind if every tree is hiding a machine gun nest then a 2 cent bullet can be just as effective as all the tech that China can bring in.
In that regard China will do no better then the US did, the only benefit China has which the US did not have on such scale is the advantage to sit next door.

In regards to the Vietnamese forces they are outdated but they have a good history in terms of putting up fight.
Now i doubt that they have any ability to perform a mass invasion.
However i think it should be clear that the Vietnamese forces are a tough cookie given the fact that they have numbers and the right "mindset" helped by the fact that they can be the underdog.

At least i think so offensive i see little that the Vietnamese forces can do however defensive its a different story as the Vietnamese have proven in every war they ever fought.
And in regards to the Chinese and their Neighborhood i believe the Vietnamese can teach them a lesson or 2 in terms of defending.
I agree with you on what you just said. The Vietnamese do have a history in fighting modern militaries and doing some damage to them.One U.S. commander said one VC held up a whole company and if he was his commander he would have gave him a medal. The change of a war breaking out in Southeast Asia is slim.

Da Nang

Still Sturm, Vietnam will still have home field advantages. The way they done it with French and the US was the abbility to tied-up large resources of opposite more powerfull forces on long junggle warfare. PLA with no doubt have better caoabilities to thrust themselves upon Vietnam teritory. But like many smaller forces, Vietnam ability to make. It long and bloddy insurgences warfare that need to be seen whether PLA can commit themselves that long without opening chances of weaken second front from more formidable forces facing their borders.
Vietnam has managed to throw off several Chinese invasions over the centuries,
but that was back when the Chinese only outnumbered them 10 to 1. Now the
Chinese military can outnumber the Vietnamese 20 to 1 in addition to having
better equipment and training (PLA is volunteer force). The scenario that comes
to mind is from the novel World War Z where an army stood shoulder to
shoulder from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and swept every zombie off North America. Now apply that logic to a Chinese reaction to an
insurgency in Vietnam. As a Vietnamese myself, I think our best (only) chance would be to evacuate the population to the south and defend a WWI era trench line north of Hue, and pray the Chinese don't outflank us by invading Cambodia.

Rimasta

Vietnam has managed to throw off several Chinese invasions over the centuries,
but that was back when the Chinese only outnumbered them 10 to 1. Now the
Chinese military can outnumber the Vietnamese 20 to 1 in addition to having
better equipment and training (PLA is volunteer force). The scenario that comes
to mind is from the novel World War Z where an army stood shoulder to
shoulder from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and swept every zombie off North America. Now apply that logic to a Chinese reaction to an
insurgency in Vietnam. As a Vietnamese myself, I think our best (only) chance would be to evacuate the population to the south and defend a WWI era trench line north of Hue, and pray the Chinese don't outflank us by invading Cambodia.
Fixed defensive positions are monuments to the stupidity of man. Especially these days, and considering the mobility Chinese forces will have. Vietnam should fight the Chinese the same way the fought the United States and France. China won't be so willing to attack any country I think that could offer serious resistance, forget about not being able to beat the Chinese outright. A prolonged conflict would in most cases work against Beijing. They seem to know this though and that's why we see a gradual approach, building oil rigs, claiming fishing zones, establishing ADIZ's, etc...you never truly are prepared for war, there are too many variables, but a strong national will to resist is always a good start.
Vietnam should look at dispersion, ways to challenge the Chinese without playing into the PLA's strengths. Maintaining and developing ties with the US and other partners.