What if Germany had won The Battle of Stalingrad during WW2

mike hicks

I think if Germany had won Stalingrad, their strategy for taking the city would have had to be different. Say for instance Hitler had not gotten impatient and divided Army group south, half for Stalingrad/ half for the Southern oil fields, and had concentrated fully on taking the city. If were the case, maybe then his tank divisions could have crossed the Volga and cut off supply lines and reinforcements to inner-city Stalingrad while the infantry and Luftwaffe took control.

If Stallingrad had been decisively won by the Germans, say August or September, I highly doubt that Hitler or his Generals would have simply dug in and waited for the winter. Hitler was aggressive and would have kept on the attack. The question I speculate with is to where? Looking at a map of Russia most likely he would have attacked North along the Volga in a giant pincer movement towards Moscow.

Germany had a technical superiority on the open battlefield, and those Red Army forces which secretly built up to counterattack the entrenched German forces in "reality November 1942" would have been decimated just as the Russian forces had been in the 1941 campaigns in Ukraine and other places.

Stalin- the man of steal- would have never quit fighting had Stalingrad been lost, and I predict their would have been a Stalingrad-like battle in Moscow Summer of 1943. Perhaps a similar Stalingrad-like fate would have fallen on the Germans at that point. It is interesting to speculate what would have happen. The German Tiger tanks would have been ready. The main Russian factories and US supply lines coming from across the Ural Mnts. would still have been in tact, and pressure from the Western front in the form of Air raids and the Africa campaign would have limited German reinforcements. Germany probably still couldn't have beaten Russia, unless maybe Japan attacked the Ural mountain factories- but then the whole course of the war could have/should have done many things