What does a country need to make Nukes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Freud

I have been reading Abright David's report, depicting Indias shady affairs, and saw what Aliph Ahmed is refering to:

In at least one case, India procured through individuals who also played key roles in the illicet nuclear trading network led by pakistani A.Q. Khan
It certainly wasnt any breakthrough tho, it was one procurement among thousends....
http://www.isis-online.org/publications/southasia/indiagrowingcapacity.pdf

This is actually a good read if you want to see the obstacles with obtaining enough HEU to make a bomb.

And here is another link depicting A.Q. Khan and Pakistans shady affairs

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/ext.php?ref=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Qadeer_Khan

In December 2006, the Swedish Weapons of Mass Destruction Commission (SWMDC) headed by Hans Blix, a former chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC); said in a report that Khan could not have acted alone "without the awareness of the Pakistani Government".

I have only one question: has A.Q. Khan been executed yet ?

Last edited:

Generalissimo

I have only one question: has A.Q. Khan been executed yet ?
Nope. As a national hero in Pakistan, father of the Islamic Bomb, he is merely kept under house arrest for his crimes, I don't even know how strict that is. At least he isn't proliferating anymore. That one man did more damage to international stability than Osama bin Laden and George Bush combined. :mad:

Dr Freud

It was Khan that got access to Netherlands nuclear technology.

In 1972, the year he received his PhD, Khan joined the staff of the Physical Dynamics Research Laboratory (FDO) in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. FDO was a subcontractor for URENCO, the uranium enrichment facility at Almelo in the Netherlands,...

The technical details of these centrifuge systems are regulated as secret information by export controls because they could be used for the purposes of nuclear proliferation. These technical details along with blue prints of centrifuge were clandestinely 'taken' by A Q Khan and were used later to develop his own nuclear black market..

His network was only for smuggling it to Pakistan.
Kind of reminds me of Rosenberg.

The real catch is that Netherlands knew he was stealing, and USA told them not to take him down, they wanted to track his network.

Guess they regret that now that he sold the goods to N. Korea and Iran :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Aliph Ahmed

Banned Member
The real catch is that Netherlands knew he was stealing, and USA told them not to take him down, they wanted to track his network.

Guess they regret that now that he sold the goods to N. Korea and Iran :rolleyes:
I wonder where you get your base less and ill informed news from. AQ Khan didnt have a network of his at the time he was working for Urenco.

Did India execute anyone who participated in procuring the nuclear equipment illegally from global black market ? or it is all " indeginious " theme to mislead the public again ? It wouldnt be hard. Afterall, practice makes it perfect. :p:

gvg

I wonder where you get your base less and ill informed news from. AQ Khan didnt have a network of his at the time he was working for Urenco.

Did India execute anyone who participated in procuring the nuclear equipment illegally from global black market ? or it is all " indeginious " theme to mislead the public again ? It wouldnt be hard. Afterall, practice makes it perfect. :p:
But dr Freud's first part is correct. At least to a former PM of the Netherlands. Dutch intelligence knew what Khan was doing, yet the CIA intervened when they planned his arrest. They asked not to arrest him and they would follow Khan, because they wanted to know what he was going to do.
Some years later they did start a legal case against Khan in the Netherlands, but the verdict was overturned because of a technicality. Those legal files about it are now missing, with all evidence pointing to the CIA.
According to the former PM the Cold War played a huge role in all decisions made. India was seen by the US as a partner of the USSR and they were an atomic power. According to the PM (in hindsight) it is not unthinkable that the US wanted leverage in the region against India.
And for the Dutch...after the CIA had told them they would take care of Khan, they decided that the USSR was a bigger threat to them than some country in Asia.

indian bull

Banned Member
If you already have nuclear reactors how far off is actual weapons technology? Is it possible to have nuclear reactors that can never make weapons grade plutonium?

Even if you have the plutonium is anything else that's hard to obtain needed?
Here are some designs if you wanna make a bibg bomb for u:

Status
Not open for further replies.