USAF retires F-117 after 27 years of service.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The F-117 or the HaveBlue prototype?
The F-117, to decrease production costs they used several parts from the F-104 and other jets. Their was an article that mentioned it when the USAF first announced the F-117 retirement a couple years ago, I'm trying to search for it but I'm at work and limited in what pages I can view.

Firehorse

Banned Member
I've read an article somewhere a few years ago about making it stealthy in daytime, to bring more potential out of it. The F-22 has a radar, and that plane has stealthy features. For bombing runs it could be turned off. How about converting F-117s to UCAVs?

Last edited:

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It also used parts from the F-104 and other planes that are long out of production.
Perhaps the key element in Lockheed’s approach to moving stealth from concept to reality was a conscious decision to rely on off-the-shelf hardware as much as possible. In this way, engineers were able to focus on the breakthrough of reducing RCS without having to “invent” new avionics and engines. “We utilized proven systems from existing aircraft to reduce the overall system development risk,” said Mr. Martin.

The F-117’s “borrowed” components included the GE F404 engines from the F/A-18, cockpit gear from the Air Force F-16 and Navy F/A-18, the B-52’s navigation system, environmental control systems from the C-130, and critical fly-by-wire flight-control computers from the F-16.
source: http://www.afa.org/magazine/1992/1192skunk.asp

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I got my information from this post.
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5465&highlight=F-117+retire

There are several reasons the F-117A is being retired, but must of these relate to maintenance.

Although based on HAVE BLUE and other stealth programmes the actual development schedule for the F-117A was 31months from the contract being signed to first.

As only a small number of aircraft were to be built, many components from other aircraft were used (many Lockheed items F-104 Starfighter etc). Not only mechanical items (wheels), but parts or whole electronic systems were borrowed from other aircraft (or in a couple of cases cancelled projects). Now that these older platforms are no longer in service the F-117A has a very big obsolescence problem. If a part is worn out or breaks and there are no spares available, and nobody makes the part any more what can you do? There ways of managing obsolescence. Buy additional spares when you have the chance “life of type buys”, re-design etc. The current operational is gradually reducing and the non-operational aircraft are being stripped for spares, to keep the rest of the fleet flying.

Firehorse

Banned Member
In 1994, there was some thought given to building a navalized version of the stealth fighter to replace the cancelled A-12 project. This would produce a new set of challenges for designers. The aircraft would have to have catapult attachment points and arrester hooks and still be capable of maintaining the integrity of its stealthy exterior. Afterburning engines would presumably have to be fitted to make carrier launchings with heavy payloads feasible, which would require that the complex exhaust system be completely redesigned. In addition, the stealth RAM that covered the surface would have to be able to stand up to the corrosive effects of salt air. If this project had been funded, it would have been given the designation F-117N. However, ultimately the project was not proceeded with. http://home.att.net/~jbaugher4/f117_3.html
IMO, had they proceeded with it, it could be done. But, at that time, they were happy with EA-6B Growlers making up for lack of stealthy birds! BTW, the AF was forced to use Navy's EA-6Bs after F-111s were prematurely retired!
DOD decided to retire the EF-111A jammer and replace it with a new Air Force system, the high speed anti-radiation missile (HARM) targeting system on the F-16C, and the existing Navy electronic warfare aircraft, the EA-6B. Recognizing that too few EA-6B aircraft may be available to meet both Air Force and Navy needs, DOD retained these 12 EF-111s in the active inventory through 1998, when additional upgraded EA-6Bs became available. The Raven's replacement, the Prowler, is a four-seat derivative of the highly successful A-6 Intruder. It features an upgraded version of the same tactical jamming system employed by the Raven. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ef-111a.htm

Cutaway

To start off with, The F-117 should have been made with supersonic and air to air combat capability as it would stay in service longer, Why the bloody hell was it only a percision bomber?, Isnt that the job for the B-2 Spirit?

Regarding the F-117 paint job, Would it be possible to do the same thing with the F-22 but the other way round for night operations?

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To start off with, The F-117 should have been made with supersonic and air to air combat capability as it would stay in service longer, Why the bloody hell was it only a percision bomber?, Isnt that the job for the B-2 Spirit?

Regarding the F-117 paint job, Would it be possible to do the same thing with the F-22 but the other way round for night operations?
They do have a supersonic F-117 with ATA weapons. Its called the F-22/F-35.

SlyDog

cutaway: I doubt an aircaft with a shape of F-117 fits for supersonic. I suspect the shape of airframe create to much drag. Just a guess.