U.S. vulnerable to Tu-160s with X-555 cruise missiles

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Russians have more than 4 regiments of Backfires overall, split between the Navy and Air force. I would also think that the Russians have more than 7 regiments (squadrons) of Flankers available. Maybe there are 7 being activelly funded and used at this very moment but thats not to say that there are not many more Flankers in storage.
You're making a common mistake. You're counting total tails. You need to count deployable units. There are only 7 regiments of Flankers in the VVS that are currently active. Units in storage are not "reserve formations", they're a bunch of flankers sitting in hangars with minimal maintenance, and as far as I know; no pilots. Calling pilots from reserve requires at least a mobilization, and just passively growing the numbers by hiring additional pilots requires more money which is currently limited as is.

Navy Backfire's are to be used for a different role then the Strategic Air Force. They're meant for maritime strike roles, and are equipped and trained in those roles. According to scramble there are 5 Navy Backfire regiments, one of which is a recon, which is in the LenVO along with two regular regiments. The other two are in the Far East.

Im sure Chavez would be 'modifying' the constitution if the Russians gave him such an offer. It would be his one chance to stick it to the Americans big time.
He's tried to modify the constitution once before, and on a much more important to him issue then Russia bases, and failed because he lost the vote. I don't see him trying again.

Haavarla

I am of the opinion that placing Blackjacks so close to CONUS is a mistake simply because they are too valuable a strategic asset to be risked by basing them so close to the enemy.

If what your trying to do is support Venezuela and generally be a pain in the arse to the US then i would suggest using Venezuela a little like the US used Greenland during the cold war. Treat is as an outpost but dont keep anything there that you would cry over too much if you lost.

I would think a large permenant base of maybe a regiment or 2 of Flankers, a regiment of Backfires supported by A-50's, Bear recon birds and Tankers.

Some teen series sam batteries to defend it (SA-10, SA-15, SA-17 and maybe a battery of SA-21 for long range work).

And in the naval arena maybe a small flotilla of FAC and another small flotilla of Kilos. Maybe a naval infantry regiment to provide land defence.

A big enough base to make the US think twice about pushing Venezuela, your definatelly being a pain in the arse and if you really want to make a niusance of yourself maybe one or two mobile SS-21 batteries.

:nutkick

What about the S-300/S-400 batteries?
Are those for eksport?

nevidimka

I believe the Kh 101 will effectively upgrade and minimise the downside of the KH 55 missiles. Which is why its development is progressing quietly.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about the S-300/S-400 batteries?
Are those for eksport?
Yes. S-300PMU/1/2 have been exported to China, Vietnam, iirc India, and I think Algeria (as part of the latest package deal). Oh and Greece (Cyprus). The S-400 is "for export" but has conspicuously been kept unexported so far. In fact to my knowledge only a single unit of it exists as part of the Moscow MD, based near Elektrostal'. Another unit is expected to enter service soon in LenVO.