U.S. Join another countries Army?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
You could think about signing up for the British Royal Marine Commandos. They take about any body if you can pass their tests. There is a TV show named Royal marine commandos. They air it on Fox History and entertainment. There they video new recruits through out their training. There was one guy from the states who was on vacation to the UK got excited after seeing a poster about marine recruitment(yep its true) and decided to try and they allowed him to. I dont think it caused any problems for his American citizen ship.

But boy where their training regiments tough. Being a small force the Marine commandos take only the best so if you think you are up for it then you can try there.
It does sound like an interesting programme. I would still hesitate though, due to the potential loss of US citizenship. For a long time, the US State dept has essentially had a policy of singular citizenship. By that I mean people who due to birth, ancestory and/or service were eligible for dual-citizenship, would give up their US citizenship if they exercised their eligibility for foreign citizenship.

Things have gotten better in the last few years, but IMO it is something to be checked very carefully prior to making any commitments.

-Cheers

W1ngz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Think about security? There may be some middle ground, do these charges prohibit foreign travel? Most countries wipe juvi records clean.. If ok there is merc type experiences and money to be had if your not picky where you go. Blackwater? African oil security?

German army last time I checked doesn't pay big bucks. Its a conscript army so don't expect army wages. German citizenship isn't super easy to get anymore even with ancestory.

Legionairs would proberly get you. But honestly thats a pretty intense experience.
Good ideas, the record IS wiped clean and I don't think it would prohibit foreign travel in any country. Do places like that even accept people without any form of military training?

Edit: I would also like to add that a loss of U.S. citizenship doesn't affect me. If I'm not good enough to fight for them I want no part of them. Strong words I know but that's just how I feel.

Last edited:

USSAR

I'm a U.S. citizen. I'm wanting to know if there's any hope for me in joining any sort of military. I've tried all branches in the U.S. and have been turned down due to juvenile charges. I'm a soldier at heart and that's all I've ever wanted. If anyone knows anything some help would be cool. Thanks. P.S. I'm not some sort of traitor or anything, I'm a fighter and will gladly give my life for a cause. The U.S. just won't take me.

First post, will probably decide if it's my last.
i had a similar expereiance. i threatened th edean of students back in 07... that bitch had it comeing, didnt lay a finger on her. but that 12 inch dick she had fell off when we got to court. she played the victim role. saying how she was scared to come to work and all this bulldink. so the court made me go places where i dont wanan repeat there names...while dealing with the shrinks they twisted every single word i said. and i found all this out 2 years later. so im haveing the same problem.

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
As a recruiting NCO I can vouch that the eblistment standards for all US armed forces have gone up dramatically in the past few years. Juvenlie offenses are treated exactly like adult ones. In my branch, any thing more than 1 misdemenaor charge requires a waiver. Anyhting beyond 3 misdemeanors, or any felonies is non-waiverable. Any drug offense other than simple possesion of marijuana is non-waiverable. Any domestic assault/battery offense is non waiverable. Any sex crime is non-waiverable. HS diploma is required in most cases, though depending on the branch and how the numbers are GEDs are sometimes allowed. The days of a Judge telling a kid "go to war or go to jail" is loooong gone. There are too many qualified applicants who want to join who have clean backgrounds, and in the past the military has gotten burned by media reports of people with criminal backgrounds enlisting. Looks bad for the service. I think we've gotten a bit too strict - there are defintely some young people who have committed "youthful indiscretions" that the military would be perfect for getting straight, but thats just no how it is these days.

As far as the FFL goes, I know 3 Americans who served in the FFL and subsequently re-enlisted in the US Armed Forces (they were prior US military before joining the FFL - which is pretty common from what I understand) and no-one cared. They kept thier US citizenship, and the US military didn't hold it against them. I suspect it might be different for other armed forces, but unless you join the military of a country not friendly to the US or actually walk into a US embassy and formally renounce your citizenship, I don't think anyone really cares regardless of what the law says. I also know some Americans who served in the IDF as well, and they still have US citizenship.

Adrian

W1ngz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea I'm in training right now. I figure if I'm going to move I might as well be in peak performance.
It really sucks. It would have been great to serve for the U.S.A. Gosh I get so angry/depressed thinking about it.

anyarmy

For the Australan Army you have to be or be willing to become an Australian permanent resident and later citizen as quickly as possible.

You might want to look into the effect that joining a foreign military would have on your american citizenship as well. I've heard a story on another forum that makes me think there could be issues on that front.

@ Jack, what are the entry requirements for the french foreign legion?
I to have a felony but I am actually recieving a Pardon to have it removed from my record but my Pardon is Coming from the Govenor of the State of Ca. This will allow me to join the US ARMY. I am 36 and I am to old to join any other division of the USA armed forces. I have been trying to find a way in since I was 20 when I was convicted. It really sucks that one mistake ruins your entire life.

someone mentioned Dynacorp? Will they take people with no military exoerience? I will go today!! But if the austrailian army will take me I am also on my way. Once you have military experience and can get clearence you can work as a Operator at any of the private contractor companies and make a small fortune.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Edit: I would also like to add that a loss of U.S. citizenship doesn't affect me. If I'm not good enough to fight for them I want no part of them. Strong words I know but that's just how I feel.
It's not a question of being "good enough", it's more a question of how unlikely it would be for a person with your past to fit into the military lifestyle.

anyarmy

It's not a question of being "good enough", it's more a question of how unlikely it would be for a person with your past to fit into the military lifestyle.

I would fit in great. I am a soldier at heart. I am from a family of soldiers and I am the first to not be in the Army. I got hooked on drugs before i was 18 and sold drugs when I was 20 and since then have been a model citizen. I am more ARMY than most people i the Army!! Sorry that hurt my pride a little. I am a soldier and have 5000 plus hours training at private tactical, urban and counter terrorism combat facilities. The US training Centers owned by XE (blackwater) are like a second home. The SOCOM training facility in florida has been another place I ahve spent 100's of hours in. The training the military pays you to do I have had to spend well over $100k in loans
to do. I am a soldier and I have till I am 41 to get in the Army. I wish they would look at it case by case. Australia is looking good if its true I can get in with a felony and being an american.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Australia is looking good if its true I can get in with a felony and being an american.
There is NO way you’ll going to be allowed to join the ADF. The thing about non citizens being allowed to join incorrectly quoted by Steve above is this only applies to people ELIGIBLE for citizenship. This is usually people with Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia (similar to a US Greencard). PR is very hard to get and is only available to people without family in Australia via skilled migration.

The only recruitment of non Australian residents or citizens is lateral recruitment from other Armies. In this case the ADF will sponsor you as a migrant. But this is available to Sergeant level (US Staff Sergeant) and higher. With a serious drug offence it is unlikely you would even get a visa to enter Australia yet alone PR or be allowed to join the ADF.

mattyem

I'm a U.S. citizen. I'm wanting to know if there's any hope for me in joining any sort of military. I've tried all branches in the U.S. and have been turned down due to juvenile charges. I'm a soldier at heart and that's all I've ever wanted. If anyone knows anything some help would be cool. Thanks. P.S. I'm not some sort of traitor or anything, I'm a fighter and will gladly give my life for a cause. The U.S. just won't take me.

First post, will probably decide if it's my last.
Here in New Zealand you can join with convictions including upto and including assault with a weapon. I am a current serving member of the defense force with 2 convictions to my name. For me to join I had to remain conviction and trouble free 12 months from my last charge, I did this and now have been serving for 5 years.
A friend who I joined with had a history of assault and alcohol related charges from his younger days, he was accepted also. Provided you not some sort of nut job they are happy to let you in (provided you pass all the physc and aptitude tests and have shown that you are on the straight and narrow since your last conviction).
The only problem would be getting over to NZ and applying for residency. In the NZDF you can join without residency just so long as you have already put in your application when you sign up.
For further info I would recommended visiting NZ Army - Welcome and going through the site and sending a couple emails to their contacts listed.
Only draw back being if your a soldier at heart and want to be in the thick of it, NZ army isn't the best option unless you punch your way through and make it into 1 NZSAS.

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Remember his charges. I mean not even the army would take him. I know the 70ths where you could walk with a needle in your arm into a recruitment office and still apply are over, but they tend to take what they can get.

So a PMC might be a problem, despite what the media tells us they arent ruthless mercenaries who dont care for ones background, their just business firms, and as such a criminal history is going to be a problem.
We do not "take what we can get". ~75% of Americans between the ages of 17-24 are ineligible to serve in any branch of the US Armed Forces due to criminal history, medical history, insufficient education and/or an inability to pass the entrance exam (ASVAB). Of those otherwise eligible - only 1 in 4 score high enough on the ASVAB to enlist in the US Army or US Navy or USMC. The Air Force and Coast Guard have even higher test standards.

Taken as a whole, it is easier to get in to a college or university in the US than it is to join the military.

The days of the military as a "last chance" career are long over. As one of the most (if not THE most - though I admit I'm biased) professional and technologically advanced armed forces in history, the US military can no longer afford to settle for lower quality applicants. And we don't.

Unfortunately, high standards applied across such a large organization occasionally means that applicants with checkered pasts (particularly those with juvenile records) who have matured, and would make good soldier,sailors, airmen or marines, get denied enlistment. Big organizations are not good at making exceptions, even when warranted.

As far as private military corporations - they are in large part on decline from their heyday of the early OEF & OIF years, so the opportunities are becoming more limited. In addition, they are typically looking for people with extensive military backgrounds, often looking specifically for people with backgrounds in special operations.

Adrian

Princess Badass

Hi there all. New here and would like some help please regarding my boyfriend. I am a us and australian citizen. I live in the us. He has a few misdemeanors and a felony. If we marry can he join the military in my homeland Australia? Thank you.
No hijack intended fyi as this is still on topic.