Tsunami hits Japan after 8.9 magnitude Earth Quake.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
.Oh yeah, and claiming or proposing that a reactor block will be repaired that was supposed to be dismantled next month anyway should really cause some facepalms.
Thanks for that. LOL :D

*facepalms*

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Don't know what he got his doctor for, but i hope it's not nuclear physics.
It's not, btw. His doctoral thesis at ETH Zürich was in Supply Chain Risk Management, focus China, for his diploma in mechanical engineering he wrote on Risk Management in Product Development. He also got an MBA.

He's a research scientist at MIT, like the blogger claims, but it's at the MIT's Center for Technology, Policy and Industrial Development, and he continues to focus on Product Development and Risk Management.

His CV.

Supposedly his father "has experience in the German nuclear industry" - in other words he worked for Siemens. As in the single foremost pushers for all-nuclear solutions in the past 60 years in Germany.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Considering the history between the two nations I would have to agree with you. I thing Tovarisch Zhirinovsky has been on the magic mushrooms. On a more serious note as an outsider looking in, I appreciate that the Japanese have a humongous devastating disaster (for want of a better term) on their hands. I live in Christchurch, NZ and know first hand the devastation of a 6.3 earthquake, but one 8000 times stronger, well it is hard to get the head around. On top of that a tsunami which looks like at least a 20m runup height (I study them) and a the vicious downward spiral of a nuclear emergency no wonder they are weighed down. I see reports of complaints about the lack of information on the part of the Japanese Government. My answer to that is patience. they are dealing with two massive natural disasters plus a nuclear emergency that is worsening by the hour. In Christchurch we are only dealing with one and that is taking all our energy. They are dealing with three at the same time each one on its own 8000 times far more devastating than our situation. They are only human and are facing a catastrophe that no nation has ever had to face in peace time.

So I counsel patience and give them time to deal with the situations. Look to yourselves, your families, your neighbours, other survivors, rescuers etc., to help you through this one minute, one day at a time. Give each other strength, nourishment, comfort, love, care and spirit. Don't be to proud to ask for and accept help from strangers and outsiders.You need it most of all, especially now. That is how we survived and still survive. Here we say Kia Kaha. It means stand strong stand tall. We in Christchurch stand with you. You are not alone. You have a whole world looking out for you and trying their best to help you. Kia kaha Japan. Arohanui from Christchurch, New Zealand.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
there was another earthquake in Fukushima only a few days ago they said it was 7.1 magnitude
Watch the one liners. That is a no no. The mods have no sense of humour about them and tend to do the haka over it. Ok that was just an aftershock. Aftershocks are earthquakes within their own right but because they occur after the first significant event. They decrease over time and are the result of the Japanese portion of the Eurasian tectonic stressing & destressing as the area is readjusting to the change of condition after the great quake of 11/3/11. Statistically there will be a series of 7, 6 & 5 magnitude scale aftershocks over a period of probably between 6 - 12 months, maybe more.

I live in Christchurch, NZ and we have had 5400 aftershocks since the 7.1 M quake on 4/0/2010 which is nigh on 7.5 months ago. The Japanese quake was 8000 more powerful than the 6.3 M quake that we had on 22/2/2011 so the aftershocks there will go on for a long time. We had a 5.3 M last night which shook things up a bit, so it's an ongoing process. One that is not good on peoples nerves.

There has been major change with suggestions that Japan has subsided by 2m because of the 9.0 M quake. This means that Japan is 2m lower than it was before the quake when measured against Mean Sea Level. This made a 10m tsunami into a 12m tsunami because the water level was raised 2m relative to the land. Now we know the tsunami was at least 8m in one area because it overflowed 10m high sea walls there. It's height was determined by the 3D shape of the sea floor and the coast. This is because the wave speed is a function of the depth of the water. The deeper the water the faster the speed. So when the wave first started out it would have been travelling close to 800km/hr. As it reached shallower water it slowed down with the front of the wave gradually being overtaken by the back causing it to climb in height and topple, otherwise known as breaking.

Last edited: