Thoughts on Replacement for Bradley Linebacker

TheLittleXeno

I don't think the 25mm is good enough. If you look at other IFVs and their guns. They are either 30mm or above. The BMP-3 uses a 30 mm autocannon and seeing how there are over 12 countries operating them and over 2000 in operating service. I think the need for something more powerful than 25mm is very necessary.

BAE Systems has the TRT-25mm. It's a remote weapon station with the Bushmaster M242 (The exact same gun as on the Bradley). It doesn't need a turret like the Bradley. If 25mm gun and ammo can all be squished into such a compact turret design like that. Then why not go for a bigger caliber?

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Given current funding issues and the budgetary crisis in the US, I don't see any replacement for the M6 in the US Army anytime soon.

As other posters have already pointed out, the US Army already has the best air defense system in the world: the US Air Force.

I can't really envision any near-term scenario where US forces would not have total air superiority either before comitting ground forces at all, or very soon afterwards.

Looking farther out, I think the US may begin to face a the threat of small (possibly armed) UAVs that could make the requirement for a mobile, armored short range AA system (whether it be gun, missile or both) more pressing.

In the near term, I think money would be better spent on aquiring an "Iron Dome" type system to protect Soldiers and assets from indirect mortar/rocket/artillery fire.

Something like that would have been nice when I was in Iraq. Seemed like everytime I tried to take a shower, someone would get the urge to lob a few 107mm rockets at the FOB. :(

Adrian

TheLittleXeno

They have the GCV in development. After the cancellation of the FCS program in 2009. I think it was part of it.

Hopefully they do replace the Bradley. It is quite out-dated.

Maybe they should replace the Bradley with the BAE FRES SV. It is based on the Swedish CV-90 with a new turret and more add on armor for increased protection.