Supersonic Missiles.

funtz

I have not seen the specs for AEGIS, that is the problem i couldn’t find a link, is there one on line. I mean if a radar can track guide more than 10+ missiles simultaneously to destroy 10+ targets then not a bright future for anti shipping missiles ah!, the only way will be to deny the tracking through a low rcs,
There will be the question of IR search and tracking.

So to cut the long form.
a US based carrier group has good chance of negating such threats, due to multiple level engagements, there is a chance of the opposing force too, the faster the missile will be the better it will be, again that is with a huge assumption that they wait around to be attacked.

So the hit and run will be better off at taking the ships on the outer envelop then.

How effective do you think a single naval combat ship will be against such supersonic (2-3M) threats be, for example that very controvertial and expensive barak series my nation purchased.

for Tphuang:
ya i have a elta specs from the expo it clearly states a "air to sea detection, tracking and classification up to 160 NM"
it states nothing else(eg. type, size of target).
it must be also available on the site.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
I have not seen the specs for AEGIS, that is the problem i couldn’t find a link, is there one on line. I mean if a radar can track guide more than 10+ missiles simultaneously to destroy 10+ targets then not a bright future for anti shipping missiles ah!, the only way will be to deny the tracking through a low rcs,

So to cut the long form.
a US based carrier group has good chance of negating such threats, due to multiple level engagements, there is a chance of the opposing force too, the faster the missile will be the better it will be, again that is with a huge assumption that they wait around to be attacked.

So the hit and run will be better off at taking the ships on the outer envelop then.

How effective do you think a single naval combat ship will be against such supersonic (2-3M) threats be, for example that very controvertial and expensive barak series my nation purchased.
There is a thread dealing with you latter question somewhere on DT, will try to find it later, as I am leaving my computer for a while.

These numbers on a Euro radar seems to be legit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Phased_Array_Radar

The ability to develop tracks, combined with the Smart-L should be in the hundreds.

Another radar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAMPSON

AEGIS

http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_forces/news/misc/aegis010425.shtml

E-2C Hawkeye

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/e-2-specs.htm

Last edited:

funtz

They do not mention anything about the type of targets or the time to first missile interception.
If they are as good as that, only limit then will be the number of available missiles to fire at the incoming ones.
If in a (again for the sake of discussion) case of 60km launch, the missile defense system will have to deal with simultaneously launched missiles with a 60-70 second time frame to target, that will mean a simultaneous launch of a lot of air defense missiles, if that happens with in 60 seconds,
To actually target a carrier group the platforms (aircrafts) will have to come perilously close to the targeted ship (if some survive), or target ships on the extremes of the group.
Time to go hypersonic or stealthier for the Russians.

A single ship might be limited, let us assume the standard Barak weapon system, with the 8 available missiles, it might run out of time or missiles.

Thank you for all of that info.

tphuang

Super Moderator
you are finally getting it, most important part against a modern and really well defended force is to fly really low (avoid being detected), have low radar + infrared signature. Be able to distinguish between ship + decoy, be able to make maneuvers to try to avoid interception.
So to cut the long form.

depends on the sensor really. If you can detect it in time and illuminate the target, then should be doable. Remember though, the illuminator can only look at one direction at once. If you have two different missiles coming in front different direction at the same time, you have problems.
for Tphuang:
ya i have a elta specs from the expo it clearly states a "air to sea detection, tracking and classification up to 160 NM"
it states nothing else(eg. type, size of target).
it must be also available on the site.
I'm talking about the detection of ship against other ships. After all, surface search radar are limited by the radar horizon. So, if you want to OTH strike, you will need a radar like Bandstand. Of course, you can always rely on data link with aerial assets, but that is limited to the operating radius of a land based aircraft. (unless you are the USN obviously, but even USN retired Tomahawk AShM for a good reason).

Actually USN probably doesn't even use Harpoon now and doesn't really need it.
think about it this way, if an AB launches 40 SM-2s/ESSM against another ship, that would be nearly impossible to stop. A lot scarier than facing 8 Brahmos.

hey do not mention anything about the type of targets or the time to first missile interception.
If they are as good as that, only limit then will be the number of available missiles to fire at the incoming ones.
If in a (again for the sake of discussion) case of 60km launch, the missile defense system will have to deal with simultaneously launched missiles with a 60-70 second time frame to target, that will mean a simultaneous launch of a lot of air defense missiles, if that happens with in 60 seconds,
To actually target a carrier group the platforms (aircrafts) will have to come perilously close to the targeted ship (if some survive), or target ships on the extremes of the group.
Time to go hypersonic or stealthier for the Russians.

A single ship might be limited, let us assume the standard Barak weapon system, with the 8 available missiles, it might run out of time or missiles.

Thank you for all of that info.
you need to also factor in soft kills. Even if you have no missiles left, even with decoys and CIWS like Phalanx/Goalkeeper, you can still counter multiple threats if you can detect the targets early enough.

If the entire C-802/Hanit incident taught us anything, it would be that the best way to hit someone is to catch them off guard with a low flying, stealthy missile.

funtz

I dont particularly think the brahmos or variants will face anything like the systems that were in discussion here, or that it will in its operational period face a carrier group, that missile also has a modified warhead and guidence system for land based targets, which makes it a really nice bang for the buck, considering the range and time taken.
On top of that the ship based launcher for the brahmos missile can fire a lot more than a air based platform and assign different paths than the lign of sight which take a sea skimming profile for the terminal phase of their flight, as for the RCS of the brahmos well who knows.

The Brahmos sea variant has a range of 120 km at 10 to 15 m (sea skimming) mode and it arms the RAJPUT {KASHIN II} CLASS Guided Missile Destroyer, with the radar range - 70n miles; 128 km.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Rajput.html

I was more interested in the efficiency of ship based difenses against supersonic missiles,
with the barak weapon system, one test that the IN conducted ended up with the first defense missile missing the target, however in a very short time and a good enough radius another missile engaged and destroyed the incoming threat, that is why more systems were installed and a joint research program was started to develop a enhanced range Barak system,
it is the effectiveness of supersonic missiles to slip past such system that concerned me.
depends on the sensor really. If you can detect it in time and illuminate the target, then should be doable. Remember though, the illuminator can only look at one direction at once. If you have two different missiles coming in front different direction at the same time, you have problems.
Any attack will probably consider launching missiles following different approach to the target.

Ya that is why the cruise missile program involving rcs reduction have been started in most places, however there was that python 5 missile in Israel that shot down a UAV through IR tracking and the ir signature of a uav is not considerable, so even low rcs might be a problem.
http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles2006/200694225826.asp

Last edited:

funtz

Against a less sophisticated opponent, the question arises if the same result could not be achieved with cheaper subsonics.

I do think that supersonics have virtue as a land attack missile.
Well it sure looked good on TV, the only hit of a supersonic anti shipping cruise missile i saw was of this PJ-10 BrahMos on TV (it must be on you tube), i never saw any Russian supersonic missile test.

And yes that is interesting point, against a ship an accurate supersonic missile that doesn't give much time to react and due to the KE does more damage can be justified, a land based target will have to be a very important one to justify a 1-2 million dollar missile.
That is why most navies that will employ supersonic missiles will also have other options available.
That is what they are options thats all.

what all supersonic missile/projects are there.

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator
I dont particularly think the brahmos or variants will face anything like the systems that were in discussion here, or that it will in its operational period face a carrier group, that missile also has a modified warhead and guidence system for land based targets, which makes it a really nice bang for the buck, considering the range and time taken.
On top of that the ship based launcher for the brahmos missile can fire a lot more than a air based platform and assign different paths than the lign of sight which take a sea skimming profile for the terminal phase of their flight, as for the RCS of the brahmos well who knows.
due to its size, it will always have larger Radar signature than modern subsonic missiles. Also, it's very fast, so it will also have large IR signature. Generally, the supersonic missiles also don't fly as low as subsonic or subsonic w/ supersonic terminal stage missiles
The Brahmos sea variant has a range of 120 km at 10 to 15 m (sea skimming) mode and it arms the RAJPUT {KASHIN II} CLASS Guided Missile Destroyer, with the radar range - 70n miles; 128 km.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Rajput.html
That's true, but you need to remember that the stated range is not against surface target. search range against surface target is always limited by the radar horizon, the only way to get around it is using a radar like bandstand that bounces off ionosphere. And even after you fire it, you still need something to be able to guide it until the seeker finds the target.
I was more interested in the efficiency of ship based difenses against supersonic missiles,
with the barak weapon system, one test that the IN conducted ended up with the first defense missile missing the target, however in a very short time and a good enough radius another missile engaged and destroyed the incoming threat, that is why more systems were installed and a joint research program was started to develop a enhanced range Barak system,
it is the effectiveness of supersonic missiles to slip past such system that concerned me.
in those cases, you want to fire off multiple SAMs to be safe.
Any attack will probably consider launching missiles following different approach to the target.

Ya that is why the cruise missile program involving rcs reduction have been started in most places, however there was that python 5 missile in Israel that shot down a UAV through IR tracking and the ir signature of a uav is not considerable, so even low rcs might be a problem.
http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles2006/200694225826.asp
well, i don't really trust anything out of SP. However, missiles with good IIR seeker would be extremely useful against stealth object.

funtz

That's true, but you need to remember that the stated range is not against surface target. search range against surface target is always limited by the radar horizon, the only way to get around it is using a radar like bandstand that bounces off ionosphere. And even after you fire it, you still need something to be able to guide it until the seeker finds the target.
Radar: Navigation; Two 'Don Kay', I-band.
Air; One MP-500 Kliver (Big Net-A) radar at C-band (range - 100n miles; 183 km).
One Bharat RAWL (Dutch Signaal LW08) radar at D-band frequency fitted on D53.

Air/Surface; One MR-310U Angara (NATO: Head Net-C) radar at E-band frequency (range - 70n miles; 128 km).
One EL/M-2238 STAR radar on one (or probably both) of the last two vessels.

Then again the above specs are very confusing and do not talk about the radar horizon factor, i might be wrong on this one,

- what does size have to do with the RCS, a MiG-21 is more visible to a radar than a F-18 super hornet? as it is the selling pitch of Brahmos includes the whole stealthy design pitch (don't know what that is about).

In a sea - sea mode, according to the BrahMos Corp. it is a fire and forget missile once the target location is known, i think most of the 200-300 million dollar research was done to improve the guidance of Yakhont missile, and optimization for land attack, otherwise it is the same thing.

there was a article which stated
Efforts are now underway to integrate the BrahMos’ navigation and guidance systems with high-speed data links that will be able to receive course-correction and terminal guidance cues from unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and maritime patrol/ASW aircraft launched from shore-based air bases and equipped with synthetic aperture radar (SAR) payloads, as well as from shipborne Kamov Ka-31 airborne early warning/surface search helicopters.
http://www.defenseworld.net/dsa2006/brahmos_weapon_for_technological_asymmetry.htm
Again dunno how that went.

The missile will be used with other weapon systems and on other platforms too (maritime patrol aircrafts) etc.

The BrahMos is just a missile, an option in hand its no silver bullet.

The larger question will be when will the navy posses the two carriers(it may be about 2017), the strength and the capabilities of the carrier battle groups, the level of surveillance of possible threats before its too late.

In terms of anti shipping cruise missiles the Barak-I weapon system and the enhanced range Barak-II weapon system(under research) might be more important for the Indian Navy, barak-I may be able to deal with such anti shipping (supersonic/subsonic) threats in a limited numbers game, it might be flooded with higher density though.

Last edited:

funtz

I Apologies it seems the BrahMos is not only dedicated to the Rajput Class Guided Missile Destroyer.

The PJ-10 BrahMos is also installed/to be installed on
- Talwar {Krivak III} Class Missile Frigates with Garpun-B(nato: plank shave) radar(76NM large targets, 24NM tracking/small ships) for surface search.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Talwar.html

- Project 17 {Shivalik} class with BEL APARNA for SS (local development of the Garpun-B FC radar)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Project17.html

- Kolkata Class (Project 15A) destroyers (SS?) to be commissioned around 2010.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Kolkata.html

- Modified Krivak III Class frigates, Type 1135.6 (Laid Down - 27 July 2007, Commissioning – 2012): (SS?)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Krivak.html

This is getting to darn navy oriented, and i don't have the stomach for sea.

Supersonic cruise missiles (and not BrahMos in particular) are still very effective against a most of the air defense systems (land based/ship based).

As for that PJ-10 BrahMos it is a option, it can fly at 10-15m above the waves (which is low enough I suppose) for a dedicated lo-lo flight of 120km or a 300km flight path for hi(initial)-lo(terminal) flight path at 2.5-2.8 M, according to the BrahMos Corp. low observation measures over the yakhont have been applied (not very apparent to me atleast).
It is an evolution of the yakhont, with most work done on guidance, hence a moderate assumption of better guidance than the yakhont era missiles is not overstating it. As of now it’s a fire and forget missile with two separate versions (land attack- sea attack), with a 300 kg warhead.
That is all it is not a magic wand nothing is, it is just one of the weapons a military will use, not the only weapon.

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator
Radar: Navigation; Two 'Don Kay', I-band.
Air; One MP-500 Kliver (Big Net-A) radar at C-band (range - 100n miles; 183 km).
One Bharat RAWL (Dutch Signaal LW08) radar at D-band frequency fitted on D53.

Air/Surface; One MR-310U Angara (NATO: Head Net-C) radar at E-band frequency (range - 70n miles; 128 km).
One EL/M-2238 STAR radar on one (or probably both) of the last two vessels.

Then again the above specs are very confusing and do not talk about the radar horizon factor, i might be wrong on this one,

- what does size have to do with the RCS, a MiG-21 is more visible to a radar than a F-18 super hornet? as it is the selling pitch of Brahmos includes the whole stealthy design pitch (don't know what that is about).

In a sea - sea mode, according to the BrahMos Corp. it is a fire and forget missile once the target location is known, i think most of the 200-300 million dollar research was done to improve the guidance of Yakhont missile, and optimization for land attack, otherwise it is the same thing.

there was a article which stated

http://www.defenseworld.net/dsa2006/brahmos_weapon_for_technological_asymmetry.htm
Again dunno how that went.

The missile will be used with other weapon systems and on other platforms too (maritime patrol aircrafts) etc.

The BrahMos is just a missile, an option in hand its no silver bullet.

The larger question will be when will the navy posses the two carriers(it may be about 2017), the strength and the capabilities of the carrier battle groups, the level of surveillance of possible threats before its too late.

In terms of anti shipping cruise missiles the Barak-I weapon system and the enhanced range Barak-II weapon system(under research) might be more important for the Indian Navy, barak-I may be able to deal with such anti shipping (supersonic/subsonic) threats in a limited numbers game, it might be flooded with higher density though.
That stated range for the radar seems to be against aerial objects at decently high altitude rather than sea objects. Similarly, range against sea-skimmers are also always limited by the radar horizon. Of course, the great thing about Aegis and similar air defense systems is that they get tracking info from other platforms, so you can theoretically get tracking information earlier.

As for RCS, every missile can be made more stealthy. Russian stealth technology certainly isn't superior to that of the west. When two missiles have same generation of stealth technology applied, the smaller one is going to have a smaller radar signature. Generally speaking, supersonic missiles get detected earlier because of their large size, infrared signature and flight altitude. For example, some of the subsonic missiles can fly as low as 3 m about sea level. As for fire and forget, it's not a magical solution. You still need to give it OTH guidance until it can lock on to a target. A lot of missiles have this so called 40 km seeker range. In reality, due to the maneuvers it has to make as it comes close to the target, sea conditions and fast speed, acquiring the right target is never an easy task.

As for Barak vs supersonic missile, don't just think about it as missile vs missile, the most important part is having a sensor that can pick it up at safe distance away, have the ability (processing speed + refresh rate) to be able to correctly track the missile and the response time of the air defense system (time for combat system to react, pass information to the launcher, prepare for launch + launch)

funtz

I apologies for the previous data, after searching online it seems as if the BrahMos (as is the case with other Russian anti shipping missiles) will come with a separate FCR radar (most probably something like the 3TS-25E Garpun-B, which is used as the FCS of some other missiles), this happened because this missile is only operational on the INS Rajput D51 (which served as a test bed, and dedicated installations are only just beginning), hence the specs online have not been refreshed.
Here is the online link on the installation:
http://www.domain-b.com/industry/defence/20071006_brahmos.htm

There is this available link about that radar.
http://www.harpoondatabases.com/Encyclopedia/Entry1066.aspx
As I stated earlier this FCR is installed on the Talvar and Shivalik class ships as FCR for anti shipping missiles.

Well yes a smaller missile will have has less work to do when you have to manage the low observation factor, but this is a 200-300kg war head at 2-3M, any work done on making the missile less observable to the eye and the radar of a missile defense system (I suspect the ship based missile defenses in our region will hardly be as intensive or multi layered as the USN) will make it much more effective.

I am sure the people designing it have a specific situation in mind for this missile, for example the other anti shipping missiles that Navy ships will employ along with BrahMos, I am sure they have to respond to certain situations.

About the guidance system, I have only what is provided by the people designing it to go by, they have said it is able to hit the target on its own once fired towards a target.
Some links on the test are
Army
http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/apr/22missile.htm

Navy
http://www.hinduonnet.com/2005/04/16/stories/2005041602941400.htm

On the guidance I found this
The missile also has a high level of accuracy, which has been established by recent test flights as close to zero circular error probability (CEP). The missile operates on the “fire and forget” principle, meaning that once it has been launched, it will correctly strike its target without requiring any assistance. It has an inertial navigation system (INS) for use against ship targets, and an INS/Global Positioning System for use against land targets. Terminal guidance is achieved through an active/passive radar.
Source:
http://www.missilethreat.com/cruise/id.88/cruise_detail.asp

and

“Thanks to an onboard inertial navigation system with three gyroscopes and three accelerometers, it is a "fire and forget" weapon, requiring no further guidance from the control centre once the target has been assigned and it is launched.”
Source:

I do not have the technical expertise to doubt what the Russian and Indian scientists and engineers working on the development of new guidance system have to say.

Although I too have my doubts that is why in the previous post I had provided the link for a report which stated
Efforts are now underway to integrate the BrahMos’ navigation and guidance systems with high-speed data links that will be able to receive course-correction and terminal guidance cues from unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and maritime patrol/ASW aircraft launched from shore-based air bases and equipped with synthetic aperture radar (SAR) payloads, as well as from shipborne Kamov Ka-31 airborne early warning/surface search helicopters.
Which might suggest that all is not sunny in the land of fire and forget missiles?

On a theoretical level a 100 – 120 km launch in a lo-lo profile at 2-3 M, if the direction of the targets travel path is known and the target is not a fast attack craft, how much probability of successful engagement will you assign to the missile using this data to the missile reaching the target within the active radar seeker range?

having a sensor that can pick it up at safe distance away, have the ability (processing speed + refresh rate) to be able to correctly track the missile and the response time of the air defense system (time for combat system to react, pass information to the launcher, prepare for launch + launch)
The question arises about the engagement range of the system and your aforementioned illumination of the incoming threat and the possibility of simultaneous missile launches with in the same time frame targeting the ship. As what ever can go wrong in war it always does go wrong.

the FCR of the barak missile defense system EL/M-2221 has
Typical Performance

Missile acquisition at 15 Km
Fighter aircraft acquisition at 30 Km
Surface target acquisition up to radar horizon
Effective Surface-to-Air missile guidance up to 10 Km
Effective surface gunnery up to 20 Km, gun dependent
Effective air gunnery up to 4 Km, gun dependent
Source: http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/radar_systems/naval_radars/Naval_Radars.html

for a 2-3M target that gives 15 seconds to respond to the threat not a good figure for a attack where a significant number of supersonic anti shipping missiles are fired simultaneously at different path/profile.

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator
I apologies for the previous data, after searching online it seems as if the BrahMos (as is the case with other Russian anti shipping missiles) will come with a separate FCR radar (most probably something like the 3TS-25E Garpun-B, which is used as the FCS of some other missiles), this happened because this missile is only operational on the INS Rajput D51 (which served as a test bed, and dedicated installations are only just beginning), hence the specs online have not been refreshed.
Here is the online link on the installation:

There is this available link about that radar.
As I stated earlier this FCR is installed on the Talvar and Shivalik class ships as FCR for anti shipping missiles.
well, you can believe me or not, but generally speaking OTH targeting needs a radar that can bounce of ionosphere. I wouldn't trust the reliability of an old radar like this one for OTH targetting.
Well yes a smaller missile will have has less work to do when you have to manage the low observation factor, but this is a 200-300kg war head at 2-3M, any work done on making the missile less observable to the eye and the radar of a missile defense system (I suspect the ship based missile defenses in our region will hardly be as intensive or multi layered as the USN) will make it much more effective.
against PN, Brahmos will be pretty invincible until they get a real air defense ship like 054A.
I am sure the people designing it have a specific situation in mind for this missile, for example the other anti shipping missiles that Navy ships will employ along with BrahMos, I am sure they have to respond to certain situations.

About the guidance system, I have only what is provided by the people designing it to go by, they have said it is able to hit the target on its own once fired towards a target.
Some links on the test are
Army
http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/apr/22missile.htm

Navy
http://www.hinduonnet.com/2005/04/16/stories/2005041602941400.htm

On the guidance I found this
The missile also has a high level of accuracy, which has been established by recent test flights as close to zero circular error probability (CEP). The missile operates on the “fire and forget” principle, meaning that once it has been launched, it will correctly strike its target without requiring any assistance. It has an inertial navigation system (INS) for use against ship targets, and an INS/Global Positioning System for use against land targets. Terminal guidance is achieved through an active/passive radar.
Source:
http://www.missilethreat.com/cruise/id.88/cruise_detail.asp

and

“Thanks to an onboard inertial navigation system with three gyroscopes and three accelerometers, it is a "fire and forget" weapon, requiring no further guidance from the control centre once the target has been assigned and it is launched.”
Source:

I do not have the technical expertise to doubt what the Russian and Indian scientists and engineers working on the development of new guidance system have to say.

Although I too have my doubts that is why in the previous post I had provided the link for a report which stated

Which might suggest that all is not sunny in the land of fire and forget missiles?
CEP doesn't really apply to anti-shipping missions. CEP is against fixed land targets. For anti-ship missions, the more important is hit probability and the ability to identify a component of ship and hit there. Generally, one of the problems with supersonic missiles is that it has less time to seek for the right target, so it's hit probability is also lower.
On a theoretical level a 100 – 120 km launch in a lo-lo profile at 2-3 M, if the direction of the targets travel path is known and the target is not a fast attack craft, how much probability of successful engagement will you assign to the missile using this data to the missile reaching the target within the active radar seeker range?
a carrier can move at 30 knots sustained, so you can do your own calculation on its movement. Remember, the active seeker has to actually lock onto the target. At the same time, there will be decoys and chaffs out there trying to confuse it, so it could end up looking on a decoyed target, on the wrong ship or not even find a target. It's always better if your missile can get targeting data as long as possible, especially against stealthy ships.
The question arises about the engagement range of the system and your aforementioned illumination of the incoming threat and the possibility of simultaneous missile launches with in the same time frame targeting the ship. As what ever can go wrong in war it always does go wrong.

the FCR of the barak missile defense system EL/M-2221 has

Source: http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/radar_systems/naval_radars/Naval_Radars.html

for a 2-3M target that gives 15 seconds to respond to the threat not a good figure for a attack where a significant number of supersonic anti shipping missiles are fired simultaneously at different path/profile.
and it's not clear from those figures what the range against missiles is measure under? Against 3 to 5m sea skimmers? What about vs mach 3 targets?

funtz

well, you can believe me or not, but generally speaking OTH targeting needs a radar that can bounce of ionosphere. I wouldn't trust the reliability of an old radar like this one for OTH targetting.
Well I do not doubt you or anyone else.
My reason to be on this forum is for the purpose of discussion,
I have my office to be paranoid about people (those scheming bas$^%ds)

This OTH you talk about is it high frequency wave prorogation and the required computation, the link I previously provided (the Bharat Rakshak one) has that that old radar installed on IN ships for Styx and Switchblade reporting up to 180 km for large targets using wave propagation conditions.
the other link clearly states
Garpun-B ("Plank Shave") surface search radar, Max 76NM large targets, 24NM tracking/small ships .

Yet another link gives the surface search for Garpun-b as 76NM for large target.
While that of mineral and monolith (both band stand ) is also given as 76NM for large targets.
http://www.clashofarms.com/files/Smarter Radars for Hpn.pdf

The version dedicated towards a new missile system will have some improvements over the Garpun-b, to say the least.

I can believe anything if I actually saw the results of detection capability for it, however i can not, so all I have to go by is what is printed/online, beyond that it’s a matter of opinion.

against PN, Brahmos will be pretty invincible until they get a real air defense ship like 054A.

CEP doesn't really apply to anti-shipping missions. CEP is against fixed land targets. For anti-ship missions, the more important is hit probability and the ability to identify a component of ship and hit there. Generally, one of the problems with supersonic missiles is that it has less time to seek for the right target, so it's hit probability is also lower.

a carrier can move at 30 knots sustained, so you can do your own calculation on its movement. Remember, the active seeker has to actually lock onto the target. At the same time, there will be decoys and chaffs out there trying to confuse it, so it could end up looking on a decoyed target, on the wrong ship or not even find a target. It's always better if your missile can get targeting data as long as possible, especially against stealthy ships.
Well a 120 km targeting range is hard for a stealthy ship as it is a stealthy ship which has been designed not to be detected at 120km.

About 500 PJ-10 BrahMos missiles land to land variants will be arming the Indian Army, that is why I suspect the link I pasted mentioned the
Close to zero circular error probability (CEP)
1 knot=0.52 m/s, at 30 knots sustained =15.6 m/s For 120 seconds the target will be displaced by 1872 m (in any direction) from the original location.(correct me if I’m wrong)
Active Radar Seeker on the missile needs up to 5-10 km range for guiding itself towards a target, even if it takes a straight path to target location, as it is the path will be decided by the elaborate fire control system (a picture is given on the BrahMos site) before the missile is launched.

Now here is the problem, I do not know the seeker range of BrahMos active radar seeker, it will be equal/better than the one on its predecessor P-800 Oniks/ yakhont as there is the obvious time gap in respective development.

The BrahMos team has especially stated that target preference, ECCM features, passive radar guidance, and resistance to be diverted from the target through chaff - decoys have developed for the guidance system, the Russians have developed such capabilities for much more demanding environments (aerial warfare), add to that the room available in BrahMos to install computing/processing equipment to make more sense of what ever the radar seeker picks up, and the BrahMos will be about as effective as any other anti shipping missile that uses radar guidance(active/passive) in terminal guidance towards the target.

Let us assume (I can be wrong on this one) that the exceptional automated FCR of a SAM picks up 3-5 BrahMos flying at 10-15 m in the 45 km range and instantly fires a Sam that instantly accelerates to 3M, with a 45 second window it will to have at-least 2 illuminators on each beam, to be safe as the SAM will have a minimum engagement range, of course the salvo can be increased.
I think for limited capability SAMs the topic has been well covered, one such paranoid aussie link
http://www.ausairpower.net/ascms.pdf

However all this is really irrelevant, Indian Navy will not function like pirates and play a one on one - my ship vs. your ship game, the process of hostile action will involve a lot more planning to say the least and I hardly think Brahmos will alone do any damage at all, the over all composition of the navy is far more important.
As it is in the fire and forget mode the range of BrahMos is reduced to 100-120 km, and Indian navy already possess cruise missiles specifically for this range, hence by the time inductions start if mid course guidance, a radar that can pick up ships at the 300 km range, or mid course guidance through UAV, Helis launched from the ship, is not provided, the cost of induction of this missile in the navy might be hard to justify.

Again a Type 054 frigate will be (if acquired) a prime target for surveillance and initial targeting in a battle scenario, war is a matter of uncertainties, there will have to be a number of these stealth frigates operating as part of a larger force to make a difference.
As it is the “stealthy” nature of this ship will deny a long range shot anyways, I hardly think a BrahMos or other anti shipping cruise missiles will be used against such a ship (there is a reason for maritime patrol aircrafts), however not all ships are blessed with such countered dimensions.

and it's not clear from those figures what the range against missiles is measure under? Against 3 to 5m sea skimmers? What about vs mach 3 targets?
Which will make the hit probability higher I guess (the 3-5m sea skimmer and the 3M missiles).
The IN test was for a sea skimmer, it was never told which one, must have been a Russian one.
Why is this system considered as one of the best ship based missile defenses beats me?
I think this was the reason a joint production for enhanced range Barak (missile+FCR) was initiated with Israel.
What will happen if the system has to face action beats me, I think P-N must have a lot of anti shipping missiles used by the PLA-N.

By the way love the way Type 054 frigates look, any good site with pictures you recommend.

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator
Well I do not doubt you or anyone else.
My reason to be on this forum is for the purpose of discussion,
I have my office to be paranoid about people (those scheming bas$^%ds)

This OTH you talk about is it high frequency wave prorogation and the required computation, the link I previously provided (the Bharat Rakshak one) has that that old radar installed on IN ships for Styx and Switchblade reporting up to 180 km for large targets using wave propagation conditions.
the other link clearly states
Garpun-B ("Plank Shave") surface search radar, Max 76NM large targets, 24NM tracking/small ships .

Yet another link gives the surface search for Garpun-b as 76NM for large target.
While that of mineral and monolith (both band stand ) is also given as 76NM for large targets.

The version dedicated towards a new missile system will have some improvements over the Garpun-b, to say the least.

I can believe anything if I actually saw the results of detection capability for it, however i can not, so all I have to go by is what is printed/online, beyond that it’s a matter of opinion.
I guess it would take someone more professional than myself to be able to determine how good of targeting information it can provide. There is no question that the Russians have tried to do that (especially with something like bandstand), but how well they work in real combat situation, I don't know. One thing that's interesting is that no equivalent radar are fielded on Western ships.
Well a 120 km targeting range is hard for a stealthy ship as it is a stealthy ship which has been designed not to be detected at 120km.

About 500 PJ-10 BrahMos missiles land to land variants will be arming the Indian Army, that is why I suspect the link I pasted mentioned the

1 knot=0.52 m/s, at 30 knots sustained =15.6 m/s For 120 seconds the target will be displaced by 1872 m (in any direction) from the original location.(correct me if I’m wrong)
Active Radar Seeker on the missile needs up to 5-10 km range for guiding itself towards a target, even if it takes a straight path to target location, as it is the path will be decided by the elaborate fire control system (a picture is given on the BrahMos site) before the missile is launched.

Now here is the problem, I do not know the seeker range of BrahMos active radar seeker, it will be equal/better than the one on its predecessor P-800 Oniks/ yakhont as there is the obvious time gap in respective development.

The BrahMos team has especially stated that target preference, ECCM features, passive radar guidance, and resistance to be diverted from the target through chaff - decoys have developed for the guidance system, the Russians have developed such capabilities for much more demanding environments (aerial warfare), add to that the room available in BrahMos to install computing/processing equipment to make more sense of what ever the radar seeker picks up, and the BrahMos will be about as effective as any other anti shipping missile that uses radar guidance(active/passive) in terminal guidance towards the target.
actually, I find the hit probability for these modern supersonic Russian missiles to be quite appalling. I'm talking about sunburn and Club right now. I know the hit rates weren't that great when tested by PLAN. Again, supersonic missiles are harder to intercept, but they also have less time to react to soft kill measures, so that normally results in lower hit rate.

Let us assume (I can be wrong on this one) that the exceptional automated FCR of a SAM picks up 3-5 BrahMos flying at 10-15 m in the 45 km range and instantly fires a Sam that instantly accelerates to 3M, with a 45 second window it will to have at-least 2 illuminators on each beam, to be safe as the SAM will have a minimum engagement range, of course the salvo can be increased.
I think for limited capability SAMs the topic has been well covered, one such paranoid aussie link
don't think it's that simple. You have to consider the type of sensors available, their refresh rate, scan rate, types of sensor fusion between search radar and FCR.
However all this is really irrelevant, Indian Navy will not function like pirates and play a one on one - my ship vs. your ship game, the process of hostile action will involve a lot more planning to say the least and I hardly think Brahmos will alone do any damage at all, the over all composition of the navy is far more important.
As it is in the fire and forget mode the range of BrahMos is reduced to 100-120 km, and Indian navy already possess cruise missiles specifically for this range, hence by the time inductions start if mid course guidance, a radar that can pick up ships at the 300 km range, or mid course guidance through UAV, Helis launched from the ship, is not provided, the cost of induction of this missile in the navy might be hard to justify.

Again a Type 054 frigate will be (if acquired) a prime target for surveillance and initial targeting in a battle scenario, war is a matter of uncertainties, there will have to be a number of these stealth frigates operating as part of a larger force to make a difference.
As it is the “stealthy” nature of this ship will deny a long range shot anyways, I hardly think a BrahMos or other anti shipping cruise missiles will be used against such a ship (there is a reason for maritime patrol aircrafts), however not all ships are blessed with such countered dimensions.
not sure, the future of naval warfare points to more and more stealthy designs coming out. The ability to find the targets and having seekers on you r missiles that can pick up the targets is obviously critical.

Which will make the hit probability higher I guess (the 3-5m sea skimmer and the 3M missiles).
The IN test was for a sea skimmer, it was never told which one, must have been a Russian one.
Why is this system considered as one of the best ship based missile defenses beats me?
I think this was the reason a joint production for enhanced range Barak (missile+FCR) was initiated with Israel.
What will happen if the system has to face action beats me, I think P-N must have a lot of anti shipping missiles used by the PLA-N.

By the way love the way Type 054 frigates look, any good site with pictures you recommend.
Neither one is easy. Although the Russian anti-ship missiles don't seem to fly as low as some of the Western ones. Of course, the best thing to do is to put additional layer of defense (with Barak as one of the layers) to make things safer. But missiles is just one part of it, having the right set of sensors, combat system, CIWS and soft kill measures will be more important.

But yeah, it looks like from the results that Barak is definitely quite good. I'd say the important parts are how compact it is, its relatively fast reaction and such. One thing I don't like is that it uses CLOS guidance. Something like RAM that don't require an illuminator against incoming missiles would be more effective against multiple missiles.

As for 054A, you can find some on my blog I guess. Just do a google of "china 054a", you should be able to find some pictures. But the best would be either SDF or CDF in their 054/A threads.

funtz

Actually, I find the hit probability for these modern supersonic Russian missiles to be quite appalling. I'm talking about sunburn and Club right now. I know the hit rates weren't that great when tested by PLAN. Again, supersonic missiles are harder to intercept, but they also have less time to react to soft kill measures, so that normally results in lower hit rate.
they a a generation behind (until upgraded recently). As opposed P-800 Oniks/ yakhont family the latest of the lot, the P-270 Moskit was designed during 1970’s (The Klub has enough versions to even confuse the Russians, or atleast me), from what I have read online the whole world of active missile guidance have changed a lot in this decade, partly due to the advances in electronics, it is possible to fit tremendous amount of processing ability into a missile, a lot more than before. The yakhont was maneuverable enough to identify and acquire the target in the terminal guidance mode.
“The missile is capable of selecting an individual ship target from a group, even in a jamming environment.”
Source: http://www.missilethreat.com/cruise/id.103/cruise_detail.asp
Which will require decent maneuvering ability.

The capability of the evolution of P-800 Oniks/ yakhont – that is PJ-10 BrahMos should be either equivalent or better, like the python-4 and python-5 series development the stress in the project was on the guidance and computing/processing capability of the missile- for land based and sea based target, although the optimized speed and variable path suggests some improvements have been made in other areas.
Not much information is available about the PJ-10 BrahMos, all the tests seem to be accurate (there have been quite a lot of them) including the ones conducted by the Indian Navy, until and unless a big conspiracy to sell a bulk of these missiles is underway or evidence is in hand it might be difficult to doubt these claims.
The real information on the specifics of guidance, active/passive radar guidance, ECCM, CCM will be kept firmly out of the public domain for good reason.
So beyond opinions nothing much can exist in the public domain.

Even if this missile (PJ-10 BrahMos) is able to perform up to the claimed standards in a battle scenario in a fire and forget mode, I still don’t think it will be very threatening at 120-300 km range, as it still falls with in an envelop of other hostile anti shipping cruise missiles, and there is no guaranty that the hostile ship will not be able to direct its missiles, this missile doesn’t satisfy the envisioned goals of the Indian Navy.
For a navy with limited goals it is an excellent platform.

What I am waiting for is the anticipated integration of the BrahMos navigation and guidance systems with high-speed data links that will be able to receive course-correction and terminal guidance cues from unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and/or maritime and AEW aircraft/helicopters with synthetic aperture radar payloads and optical equipment, this work is underway at the BrahMos corp.

The capability of (specifically) launching a high endurance UAV with a SAR+optical payload from a naval vessel and using the data provided to accurately guide a anti shipping missile towards the target with the ability of using virtually any sensor available to do this will be a technological leap, especially in the future platforms with longer ranged anti shipping cruise missile that will come into service, for the land based version it will provide a pin point real time strike capability on unpredictable threats, which prove to be the most harmful in battle (for example a sudden deployment of enemy MBRL).
The future Indian Navy (which wants to be networked together on several platforms/levels) will really absorb this technology.
If the project can provide a movement towards this sort of fusion/integration, nothing like it. Otherwise it will be the next generation.

don't think it's that simple. You have to consider the type of sensors available, their refresh rate, scan rate, types of sensor fusion between search radar and FCR.
Well ok the refresh rate scan rate is there however a low flying threat will not be picked off till the FCR horizon, even if one fuses/integrates the main search radars sensors which are optimized to find a threat which is considerably larger in size than a missile (the missile will have some amount of work done on it to reduce the RCS), according to the following link

For a band stand type radar optimized for surface search the detection range for a stealth ship will be 8NM, even if we add another very generous 10 NM for a much improved technology it comes out to 18 NM, and this is for a stealth ship, the threat here is a missile with some level of RCS reduction done on it.
The FCR of a SAM will be as an assumption - optimized to find such targets.

On the basis of this information
And a basic defense platform like the:
Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile, Nulka Decoy System, AN/SPG-62 Fire Control Radar.
Will face a lot of trouble.
As with the following link, in which a highly over qualified and paranoid Australian gentlemen explains the situation.

The article is from 2000 that is why I made the assumption that the SAM capability he explained will be basic in current terms.

However this assumption of mine rests heavily on the accuracy of the provided links, it is more than possible that I am adding 2 + B here (that will be different terms not meant for addition).

not sure, the future of naval warfare points to more and more stealthy designs coming out. The ability to find the targets and having seekers on your missiles that can pick up the targets is obviously critical.
Hmmm I agree.
The ships which have employed generous amount of radar reduction measures will still be very visible to the eye in the sky (optical and SAR), if they can accurately guide the missiles to with in a good enough the ship will not escape the missiles seekers which are made to withstand EW and other countermeasures (chaff/decoy systems) from a close in range, the SAM envelop will help, however the way UAVs are going they will not be easy pickings for the fire control radar of the SAM.
By the time these stealth ships are fielded in large numbers (which make early reconnaissance and targeting difficult) many nations will possess naval UCAV capable of denying search/track, something like the global hawk can already fly at very high altitudes.
Other nations will also employ/procure stealth ships, if the prize bracket is in any way relative to the stealth aircrafts, I doubt the amount of such ships will be exceptional.
Neither one is easy. Although the Russian anti-ship missiles don't seem to fly as low as some of the Western ones. Of course, the best thing to do is to put additional layer of defense (with Barak as one of the layers) to make things safer. But missiles is just one part of it, having the right set of sensors, combat system, CIWS and soft kill measures will be more important.
The problem is in hostile situations what will come at you, cannot be predicted, no one in the immediate neighborhood (including India) feels an obligation towards the United Nations Arms Register, even the CIWS and soft kill measures have to be coordinated with the whole FCR which at a higher saturation and speed of incoming threats will be really on the edge of their detection ranges, if the first detection is limited exclusively to the ships sensors.
As you said separate layers of defense systems, with each capable of handling the threat at optimal level should be perused, as it is the money going from the Indian tax payers pocket towards the next version of enhanced range BARAK weapon system, is no small amount and even if it went further up, it will be better to have a system that is more effective/optimized to deal with such threats.

The best solution always lays in denying any saturation attack.

tphuang

Super Moderator
they a a generation behind (until upgraded recently). As opposed P-800 Oniks/ yakhont family the latest of the lot, the P-270 Moskit was designed during 1970’s (The Klub has enough versions to even confuse the Russians, or atleast me), from what I have read online the whole world of active missile guidance have changed a lot in this decade, partly due to the advances in electronics, it is possible to fit tremendous amount of processing ability into a missile, a lot more than before. The yakhont was maneuverable enough to identify and acquire the target in the terminal guidance mode.
“The missile is capable of selecting an individual ship target from a group, even in a jamming environment.”
Source: http://www.missilethreat.com/cruise/id.103/cruise_detail.asp
Which will require decent maneuvering ability.
the club is certainly not a generation behind P-800 series. As for the missilethreat part, that's nothing new, part of the requirements for a modern missile
The capability of the evolution of P-800 Oniks/ yakhont – that is PJ-10 BrahMos should be either equivalent or better, like the python-4 and python-5 series development the stress in the project was on the guidance and computing/processing capability of the missile- for land based and sea based target, although the optimized speed and variable path suggests some improvements have been made in other areas.
no, Brahmos is an improvement on Yakhont, not Onyx. Yakhont is a monkey product of Onyx, which has none of the MTCR restrictions. If you ask the Russians, I guarantee you that they will say Onyx is better than Brahmos. If you look at their new corvette, it's using Onyx.
Not much information is available about the PJ-10 BrahMos, all the tests seem to be accurate (there have been quite a lot of them) including the ones conducted by the Indian Navy, until and unless a big conspiracy to sell a bulk of these missiles is underway or evidence is in hand it might be difficult to doubt these claims.
The real information on the specifics of guidance, active/passive radar guidance, ECCM, CCM will be kept firmly out of the public domain for good reason.
So beyond opinions nothing much can exist in the public domain.
not sure what kind of hit rate they got out of their testing.
Even if this missile (PJ-10 BrahMos) is able to perform up to the claimed standards in a battle scenario in a fire and forget mode, I still don’t think it will be very threatening at 120-300 km range, as it still falls with in an envelop of other hostile anti shipping cruise missiles, and there is no guaranty that the hostile ship will not be able to direct its missiles, this missile doesn’t satisfy the envisioned goals of the Indian Navy.
For a navy with limited goals it is an excellent platform.

What I am waiting for is the anticipated integration of the BrahMos navigation and guidance systems with high-speed data links that will be able to receive course-correction and terminal guidance cues from unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and/or maritime and AEW aircraft/helicopters with synthetic aperture radar payloads and optical equipment, this work is underway at the BrahMos corp.

The capability of (specifically) launching a high endurance UAV with a SAR+optical payload from a naval vessel and using the data provided to accurately guide a anti shipping missile towards the target with the ability of using virtually any sensor available to do this will be a technological leap, especially in the future platforms with longer ranged anti shipping cruise missile that will come into service, for the land based version it will provide a pin point real time strike capability on unpredictable threats, which prove to be the most harmful in battle (for example a sudden deployment of enemy MBRL).
The future Indian Navy (which wants to be networked together on several platforms/levels) will really absorb this technology.
If the project can provide a movement towards this sort of fusion/integration, nothing like it. Otherwise it will be the next generation.
wait, it can't do that right now? Then how is it going to do OTH strike? Interesting.
Well ok the refresh rate scan rate is there however a low flying threat will not be picked off till the FCR horizon, even if one fuses/integrates the main search radars sensors which are optimized to find a threat which is considerably larger in size than a missile (the missile will have some amount of work done on it to reduce the RCS), according to the following link

For a band stand type radar optimized for surface search the detection range for a stealth ship will be 8NM, even if we add another very generous 10 NM for a much improved technology it comes out to 18 NM, and this is for a stealth ship, the threat here is a missile with some level of RCS reduction done on it.
I was actually talking about air defense sensors.
The FCR of a SAM will be as an assumption - optimized to find such targets.

On the basis of this information
And a basic defense platform like the:
Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile, Nulka Decoy System, AN/SPG-62 Fire Control Radar.
Will face a lot of trouble.
As with the following link, in which a highly over qualified and paranoid Australian gentlemen explains the situation.

The article is from 2000 that is why I made the assumption that the SAM capability he explained will be basic in current terms.

However this assumption of mine rests heavily on the accuracy of the provided links, it is more than possible that I am adding 2 + B here (that will be different terms not meant for addition).
I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Hmmm I agree.
The ships which have employed generous amount of radar reduction measures will still be very visible to the eye in the sky (optical and SAR), if they can accurately guide the missiles to with in a good enough the ship will not escape the missiles seekers which are made to withstand EW and other countermeasures (chaff/decoy systems) from a close in range, the SAM envelop will help, however the way UAVs are going they will not be easy pickings for the fire control radar of the SAM.
By the time these stealth ships are fielded in large numbers (which make early reconnaissance and targeting difficult) many nations will possess naval UCAV capable of denying search/track, something like the global hawk can already fly at very high altitudes.
Other nations will also employ/procure stealth ships, if the prize bracket is in any way relative to the stealth aircrafts, I doubt the amount of such ships will be exceptional.

The problem is in hostile situations what will come at you, cannot be predicted, no one in the immediate neighborhood (including India) feels an obligation towards the United Nations Arms Register, even the CIWS and soft kill measures have to be coordinated with the whole FCR which at a higher saturation and speed of incoming threats will be really on the edge of their detection ranges, if the first detection is limited exclusively to the ships sensors.
As you said separate layers of defense systems, with each capable of handling the threat at optimal level should be perused, as it is the money going from the Indian tax payers pocket towards the next version of enhanced range BARAK weapon system, is no small amount and even if it went further up, it will be better to have a system that is more effective/optimized to deal with such threats.

The best solution always lays in denying any saturation attack.
in that case, denying means building an air wing that can get to the attacking aircraft before they can launch their missiles.

funtz

The club is certainly not a generation behind P-800 series. As for the missile threat part, that's nothing new, part of the requirements for a modern missile
“As of April 2002 India was the only customer of the Club system, which is being installed on the Indian Navy's Russian-built frigates and submarines.”
Source: http://www.nti.org/db/nisprofs/russia/exports/general/expmsl.htm
Which clearly shows that the CLUB (KLUB, KLAB) [SS-NX-27] has been developed much before 2002

And the PJ-10 BrahMos is only now being inducted.

The Klub family is

3M-54E: 220 km range/ Inertial plus Active Radar Homing Subsonic Mode: Mach 0.6 - 0.8, Supersonic Mode: Mach 2.9.
3M-54E1: 300 km [email protected] - 0.8 Mach/ Inertial plus Active Radar Homing
3M-14E: 275 km [email protected] - 0.8 Mach/ Inertial plus Active Radar Homing/ 20 meters over sea surface.
91RE1: 50 [email protected] Mach/ Inertial
91RE2: 40 Km@2 Mach/ Inertial

Furthermore if you would read what I typed, I said the Klub family has enough versions to confuse me, when a version was introduced is hard to find in media.

Source: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Klub.html
This article is based on janes missile and rockets.

With a smart radar seeker the capability of the “soft-kill” measures is dramatically reduced, with the development in the field of electronics more processing power with refined instructions can fit into electronic equipment that take the same area, hence it is only logical to assume some improvement will be achieved over a previous terminal radar seeker and Guidance mechanism.

no, BrahMos is an improvement on Yakhont, not Onyx. Yakhont is a monkey product of Onyx, which has none of the MTCR restrictions. If you ask the Russians, I guarantee you that they will say Onyx is better than BrahMos. If you look at their new corvette, it's using Onyx.
According to the available information online, and in print you are incorrect, provide a single link that differentiates between the two by any level, (calling it a monkey product).

You should also go through the Missile Technology Control Regime, once the range/weight of payload/type of payload etc. factors are under the 300km/500kg/non-wmd, there is no guideline for controlling the guidance technology. That is all you have to do, limit the range to 290-299 KM, and the payload to 490-499KG, there is no guideline for the guidance and targeting system, and you dont even have to do that, just give it a different name, there is no specific guideline for active engineering checks on the missile.
Source: http://www.mtcr.info/english/index.html

These missiles are similar, all of these links show this.
http://warfare.ru/?linkid=1725&catid=312
http://www.deagel.com/Anti-Ship-Missiles/Yakhont_a001021001.aspx
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/row/ss-n-26.htm
http://www.missilethreat.com/cruise/id.103/cruise_detail.asp
http://www.nti.org/db/nisprofs/russia/exports/general/expmsl.htm

If you wish to comment based on personal opinions, then state what that opinion is based upon.

not sure what kind of hit rate they got out of their testing.
Well go through the results you will find plenty online, if you mean hit rate as in hits on target, none has missed yet.

wait, it can't do that right now? Then how is it going to do OTH strike? Interesting.
It’s a fire and forget missile.
This is how it works
The BrahMos ASCM is a joint venture between Indian DRDO and Russian NPO Mashinostroyeniya (NPO Mash). BrahMos inherits a low Radar Cross Section (RCS) with an Active Radar Homing (ARH) seeker to facilitate fire-and-forget launch. Varieties of flight trajectories including sea-skimming or terminal pop-up followed by a deadly dive, complicate the task of the adversary. Mid-course guidance is inertial, developed and refined by Indian scientists. A 290-km long flight range with high supersonic (Mach 2.8) speed will lead to lower target dispersion and quicker engagement and higher destructive capability aided by the large kinetic energy of impact. In most of the cases the target warship will be denied sufficient time to react even if alerted.
source: http://www.indiadefence.com/brahmospunch.htm

The target can be acquired in many ways, a reason why most naval vessels have AEW and ASW helis on them, this missile will also be used on maritime patrol aircrafts.
Anyways in a lo-lo profile the range is 100-120 kms.
The missile fire control system can use the data provided by sensors before the launch, at 2-3 times the speed of sound and a range of 300 kms the ship will easily be with in the range of the active radar seeker before you can say howdy.

The maneuverability the accuracy and the range were demonstrated during the naval tests. You have to consider that for a sea based target the degree of maneuverability of a missile is a limited term, not to be compared to say, a missile meant for chasing aircrafts.
A perfect ten out of ten was scored by the BrahMos supersonic missile when its 10th flight took place in a ship-to-ship operational environment. Launched from the Indian Navy's destroyer INS Rajput sailing in the Arabian Sea, this supersonic missile impacted against a “hostile” warship (the role being assigned to a decommissioned naval ship). The target was picked up by a naval reconnaissance helicopter flying above the Arabian sea and communicated to the warship more than 100 km away. With a deafening roar, a BrahMos missile blasted off the deck of the warship and streaked across the sea at nearly thrice the speed of sound. Dropping down to a few metres above the waves, it sought out its quarry using an onboard radar. The nine-metre long, three-tonne missile impacted the target with its 200-kg warhead, the ship breaking into two halves which rapidly sank to the seabed. The whole process of destruction was characterised by lightning speed: less than five minutes from target acquisition to its pulverisation.
source: http://www.vayuaerospace.in/2006issue1/brahmos.html

The fire control system based on the ship can also direct a salvo of missile so that they arrive almost simultaneously in the target area.

With this you have to remember the maximum range of 290-300 Km will be reached in 300 seconds, where will the ship go in that time, well where ever it goes it will be well with in the range of the active radar seeker head.

There were separate test for land based missile launchers targeting land based target, ones which achieved a claimed near zero CEP.

There will be separate test for a air based version (from maritime patrol aircrafts/possibly modified su-30 although very unlikely).

It’s a 2.3 million dollar missile, which took 300 million dollars worth of research, most of it towards the guidance and homing.

I was actually talking about air defense sensors.
The air defense sensors again will also be limited by the horizon, with respect to the missile being 10-15 m from the surface of the sea. Exactly will be the horizon of the air defense radar in your opinion (so that we can establish the horizon limit for a missile 10-15m above the sea level).

I think a supersonic saturation attack on a ship is a very real and threatening scenario. However as we have previously established, a supersonic saturation attack against a carrier group like the ones US has will be next to impossible, or will consume a lot of aircrafts, and will have to be a tremendously coordinated task from all fronts, sea, sub sea and sky, which is very darn hard considering that finding out a carrier group in itself until you are tailing one is not easy to say the least in big big oceans.

I have provided links about the potential of supersonic saturation attacks on ships, I stand by there quality and I think they had a point, if you wish to retort to something from those links well kindly do.
Here is the link again
Remember that I am just going by the authors credentials as provided on the article, and that the article is from 2000, there have been improvements in both missiles and missile defense systems since then.

Any ways the installation has just started, the way things go in India i think it will be a long time before it is finished, the project itself is working on a air launched version(for maritime patrol aircrafts), and a refined passive homing version for SEAD operations.
According to some print and online sources the next version might be a hypersonic version.

It feels so stupid to have typed so much over a missile, all of this data was online anyways, it’s a god darn missile that’s all, a navy that depends on a missile for its superiority might be better on land.

Last edited:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
They do not mention anything about the type of targets or the time to first missile interception.
"SM-2 Blocks III, IIIA, IIIB, and IV are in service with the U.S. Navy; these and other variants of Standard Missile are also in service with thirteen allied navies. In more than a thousand firings over the past two decades, SM-2 consistently has demonstrated effective performance against targets from surface ships to helicopters, manned aircraft, and cruise missiles, from very low to very high altitudes and from stationary to supersonic speeds, under a variety of weather conditions, and across a spectrum of stressing electronic countermeasures environments."

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2200&tid=1200&ct=2

"Raytheon ESSMs intercept Vandal, Harpoon in sea tests
Sea Power, May 2002

The ESSM firings-carried out off the coast of southern California-were the third and fourth successful tests of the ESSM since November 2001. On 6 February an ESSM intercepted a maneuvering, low-altitude, subsonic BQM-74E target. A firing on 25 January at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico was the third test conducted to verify the ESSM's compatibility with the Aegis Weapons System.

RIM-162 Evolved SeaSparrow Missiles (ESSMs)-built by the Raytheon Company-successfully intercepted a supersonic target and actual cruise missiles for the first time during two recent at-sea tests.

On 27 March an ESSM-fired from the Navy's Self-Defense Test Ship (SDTS), the former destroyer Decatur-intercepted a Harpoon antiship cruise missile flying a low-altitude trajectory. The ESSM was launched in the HAW (home all the way) guidance mode, and its warhead destroyed the Harpoon after the ESSM's proximity fuze detected the target.

Earlier, on 6 March, an ESSM was launched against an MQM-8G ER Vandal low-altitude supersonic target simulating an antiship cruise missile. Upon detection the Vandal was assigned to the ESSM, which was fired using inertial mid-course guidance. The missile acquired the target, switched to terminal guidance, and intercepted the target. The missile's proximity fuze detected the target and detonated the ESSM's warhead.

"The primary reason for developing [the ESSM] ... is to defend against the modern supersonic threats," said Gary Hagedon, ESSM program director for Raytheon. "This test shows that the missile can intercept this type of antiship target."

The ESSM-an advanced ship self-defense missile designed to protect ships from antiship missiles that fly at low altitude and maneuver during their terminal approach-is in low-rate initial production for the U.S. Navy and nine of the 11 nations of the NATO SeaSparrow Consortium."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3738/is_200205/ai_n9021027/pg_1

Since they are fed tracks from beyond horizon, well, the SM-2 blk IIIB can theoretically intercept at ballistic range and time, just as ESSM can intercept i.e. hit the supersonic as soon as it clears the horizon for it to be end game illuminated.

Last edited:

funtz

again thank you for that link, this is what i was taking about some thing that has clearly worked.
As they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

tphuang

Super Moderator
“As of April 2002 India was the only customer of the Club system, which is being installed on the Indian Navy's Russian-built frigates and submarines.”
Source: http://www.nti.org/db/nisprofs/russia/exports/general/expmsl.htm
Which clearly shows that the CLUB (KLUB, KLAB) [SS-NX-27] has been developed much before 2002

And the PJ-10 BrahMos is only now being inducted.
Klub is only now being inducted. That article is wrong. Klub is only on Talwar (probably got it after 2004) and they are still having problems with its launcher. Same with the ones China got in 2006, still problems. Still need quite a bit of work before being ready imo. In terms of concept, Klub is a generation ahead of most AshM out there. Unfortunately, the implementation is not the greatest.
The Klub family is

3M-54E: 220 km range/ Inertial plus Active Radar Homing Subsonic Mode: Mach 0.6 - 0.8, Supersonic Mode: Mach 2.9.
3M-54E1: 300 km [email protected] - 0.8 Mach/ Inertial plus Active Radar Homing
3M-14E: 275 km [email protected] - 0.8 Mach/ Inertial plus Active Radar Homing/ 20 meters over sea surface.
91RE1: 50 [email protected] Mach/ Inertial
91RE2: 40 Km@2 Mach/ Inertial

Furthermore if you would read what I typed, I said the Klub family has enough versions to confuse me, when a version was introduced is hard to find in media.

Source: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Klub.html
This article is based on janes missile and rockets.
as far as I know, IN got both the subsonic and the twin-mode one.
With a smart radar seeker the capability of the “soft-kill” measures is dramatically reduced, with the development in the field of electronics more processing power with refined instructions can fit into electronic equipment that take the same area, hence it is only logical to assume some improvement will be achieved over a previous terminal radar seeker and Guidance mechanism.
both sides get better. If the radar signature of the ship is not very large, you can create numerous similar decoy radar signatures around the ship to confuse the seeker.
According to the available information online, and in print you are incorrect, provide a single link that differentiates between the two by any level, (calling it a monkey product).
it's well known the Russian export variants are not as good as equivalent domestic copies (I'm not talking about su-27 vs MKI, but rather like N-001V vs N-001VE)
You should also go through the Missile Technology Control Regime, once the range/weight of payload/type of payload etc. factors are under the 300km/500kg/non-wmd, there is no guideline for controlling the guidance technology. That is all you have to do, limit the range to 290-299 KM, and the payload to 490-499KG, there is no guideline for the guidance and targeting system, and you dont even have to do that, just give it a different name, there is no specific guideline for active engineering checks on the missile.
Source: http://www.mtcr.info/english/index.html

These missiles are similar, all of these links show this.
http://warfare.ru/?linkid=1725&catid=312
http://www.deagel.com/Anti-Ship-Missiles/Yakhont_a001021001.aspx
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/row/ss-n-26.htm
http://www.nti.org/db/nisprofs/russia/exports/general/expmsl.htm

If you wish to comment based on personal opinions, then state what that opinion is based upon.
Look at the missiles the Russians use, it's all 300 km+ in range. And then look at the missiles they export, all under 300 km due to MTCR. China does it too, something like YJ-62 is conveniently limited to 280 KM in range.
Well go through the results you will find plenty online, if you mean hit rate as in hits on target, none has missed yet.
if you think so
It’s a fire and forget missile.
This is how it works

source: http://www.indiadefence.com/brahmospunch.htm

The target can be acquired in many ways, a reason why most naval vessels have AEW and ASW helis on them, this missile will also be used on maritime patrol aircrafts.
Anyways in a lo-lo profile the range is 100-120 kms.
The missile fire control system can use the data provided by sensors before the launch, at 2-3 times the speed of sound and a range of 300 kms the ship will easily be with in the range of the active radar seeker before you can say howdy.
not that simple. I've explained the difficulty in acquiring targets and such. The seeker has a very limited range against modern ships with good ECM and stealth features. They have very limited time to find the target due to the fact that they have to try to trick ship defense at the same time that it's trying to find the ship. Consider this, when the missile is flying at 5 m high, it's radar horizon is much less than that of a surface search radar on top of the forward mast of the opposing ship. So, in order to find the ship, it has to fly much higher to hopefully lock on and then dip down again to avoid detection. That's why middle-course guidance is needed as stated in the article. If you can't understand this concept, there is no point for me to comment more on this.
The maneuverability the accuracy and the range were demonstrated during the naval tests. You have to consider that for a sea based target the degree of maneuverability of a missile is a limited term, not to be compared to say, a missile meant for chasing aircrafts.

source: http://www.vayuaerospace.in/2006issue1/brahmos.html

The fire control system based on the ship can also direct a salvo of missile so that they arrive almost simultaneously in the target area.

With this you have to remember the maximum range of 290-300 Km will be reached in 300 seconds, where will the ship go in that time, well where ever it goes it will be well with in the range of the active radar seeker head.

There were separate test for land based missile launchers targeting land based target, ones which achieved a claimed near zero CEP.

There will be separate test for a air based version (from maritime patrol aircrafts/possibly modified su-30 although very unlikely).

It’s a 2.3 million dollar missile, which took 300 million dollars worth of research, most of it towards the guidance and homing.
a lot of other missiles cost a whole more. Expensive does not mean better. Look, you just have to think about it this way, the Russians had anti-ship missiles that went mach6 and the missiles still need to be guided. As long as the ships move, as long as there are other objects in the area that have radar signature, the missiles will need to be guided. The active seeker do not normally start seeking until when they are within 40 km of the target.
The air defense sensors again will also be limited by the horizon, with respect to the missile being 10-15 m from the surface of the sea. Exactly will be the horizon of the air defense radar in your opinion (so that we can establish the horizon limit for a missile 10-15m above the sea level).

I think a supersonic saturation attack on a ship is a very real and threatening scenario. However as we have previously established, a supersonic saturation attack against a carrier group like the ones US has will be next to impossible, or will consume a lot of aircrafts, and will have to be a tremendously coordinated task from all fronts, sea, sub sea and sky, which is very darn hard considering that finding out a carrier group in itself until you are tailing one is not easy to say the least in big big oceans.

I have provided links about the potential of supersonic saturation attacks on ships, I stand by there quality and I think they had a point, if you wish to retort to something from those links well kindly do.
Here is the link again
Remember that I am just going by the authors credentials as provided on the article, and that the article is from 2000, there have been improvements in both missiles and missile defense systems since then.

Any ways the installation has just started, the way things go in India i think it will be a long time before it is finished, the project itself is working on a air launched version(for maritime patrol aircrafts), and a refined passive homing version for SEAD operations.
According to some print and online sources the next version might be a hypersonic version.

It feels so stupid to have typed so much over a missile, all of this data was online anyways, it’s a god darn missile that’s all, a navy that depends on a missile for its superiority might be better on land.
Just as I thought, Carlo Kopp. One of the least credible authors online. The same guy who thinks Australia is doomed with SH/F-35 against the legions of flankers in the region. Actually Gary would be the person who can give you the most low-down on the credentials of Mr. Kopp.
You just have to read this article http://www.strategycenter.net/research/pubID.106/pub_detail.asp
to see how many mistakes he makes in a very short piece.