Super radar detecting US stealth plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Exactly. All we can say is that at least one drone, looking like a non-LO Hermes was shot down by a russian fighter plane, most likely a MIG.
That UAV was not even remotely LO. It had a sensor stalk and a ball turret for the camera - it might as well have a flag hanging out it's back.

Hermes btw is NOT LO. have a look at the design.

Given that one can make a capable UAV with great utility for a specific set of tasks rather small compared to manned aircraft we might to see soon some of VLO design setting off for the sky.
The US was using ram coated UAV's in the 60's and 70's Against the tech of the day, they were regarded as LO/VLO (they regularly ran missions into China)

Considering that VLO UCAV's have been developed for the last 5 years - and are at trials stages - I'm guessing that its sooner than expected.

Firn

That UAV was not even remotely LO. It had a sensor stalk and a ball turret for the camera - it might as well have a flag hanging out it's back.

Hermes btw is NOT LO. have a look at the design.
By saying that the Herman is a non-LO i meant actually that it is not LO ;)
Considering that VLO UCAV's have been developed for the last 5 years - and are at trials stages - I'm guessing that its sooner than expected.
Yes. VLO UCAV's will play an important part in the near future. The availability and development of various types of guided VLO missiles and bombs will open up new possibilies and challanges.

Sarkozy

Stealth always was, at best simply going to be another stage on the perpetual tussel between offensive and defensive technologies. Don't know why people get so hung up about the idea that Stealth can be defeated. If the users of Stealth aren't preparing for the day when it ceases to work then I suspect they should be shot for being incompetent. Its not going to last forever and people are very busy working to defeat it, I suspect.

yes. in india they are talking about radars which can see and analyse raindrops, so obiously it's a matter of time before having sucsessfull stealth enters another way of thinking, like putting ramjets on the fighter and go mach 6++. No technology is static, that's why it can be dangerous to rely on a platform like the f-35 for the next forty years.

let's wait a couple of years with buying the abortion-jet, and let's see what passive radars and ir-seekers look like in 10 years before ordering this expencive dog.

bam.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
yes. in india they are talking about radars which can see and analyse raindrops,
Any of the Bureau of Meteorology weather radars can do that, or any of the weather radars fitted to airliners. Nothing new here.

so obiously it's a matter of time before having sucsessfull stealth enters another way of thinking, like putting ramjets on the fighter and go mach 6++. No technology is static, that's why it can be dangerous to rely on a platform like the f-35 for the next forty years.
Given the two current technologies available - a 4.5 gen aircraft or a 4.5 gen aircraft with an additional feature that is a gamechanger at the moment making it a 5th gen aircraft - you still believe a 4.5th gen aircraft is better do you? A SMLE Lee Enfireld is a fine rifle, it will kill people just fine. Would you rather take that into battle or the latest FN SCAR in 7.62 fitted with night sights and an M203?

Your quote " No technology is static" is where you shoot your own argument down ("bam" I guess)- it is for exactly that reason that deveopment of LO airframes needs to continue to stay ahead of the opposition. If you don't keep pursuing the latest you get behind in the tech/counter tech war.

let's wait a couple of years with buying the abortion-jet, and let's see what passive radars and ir-seekers look like in 10 years before ordering this expencive dog.
Yeah good idea - we'll let the Chinese and Russians who also seem to believe in the same technology as this expencive (sic) dog close the gap substantially before we decide to join the bandwagon.:rolleyes:

err yeah... right.

Status
Not open for further replies.