Strait of Hormuz

Rossiman

Banned Member
Really? Please provide some documentation of this claim.
If You type it into google you will find information.
The Pentagon has drawn up plans for massive airstrikes against 1,200 targets in Iran, designed to annihilate the Iranians’ military capability in three days, according to a national security expert.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article2369001.ece
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iran-strikes.htm
Now i know why it mislead you. I said Congress, changed it to pentagon sorry about that. ;)

eaf-f16

IMO the problem is not of a conventional military bu of the insurgency afterwards
No insurgency because there won't be an invasion to begin with unless you were talking about Hezbollah fighting Israel. IMO, the biggest problem for an air campaign on Iran's nuke facilities are the Tor-M1's and the rumored S-300's in Iran. I expect those to take down a few planes before being taken out(if they are there). And there is always the chance of Tor-M1's taking out JDAM's in mid-air. Other than that there should be no real problem.

martitrmartitr

My five cents

1. The US would not wage an air campaign with Israel. Israeli involvement means no other arab support.

2. Where are they going to launch from? Saudi bases risk destabilizing an already unpopular regime. Especially if the israelis are in on it.

Iraqi bases means making enemies of the shiites (even though iranian shiites isn`t arabs, they still are pretty thight). It also makes a mockery of their self governing. Throwing fuel on the fire.

Incirlik: You need to get the turks on board. After recently offending them in congress you need to be pretty convincing. Probably go through UN or NATO.

From carriers. Seems to be the possibility left. Might be difficult to support a devestating, sustained campaign from carriers. some of the countries might allow CSAR but not strike missions, but again if the israelis are in, probably not. Carriers gives you no stealth at this point and limited range.

Long range bombers from Guam and other bases. No problems here.

3. Politically unsound. Unless the Iranians makes some very agressive moves, another unilateral action will again isolate the US. European nations will not support this without significant proof of "impending doom". China and Russia has their usual objections. Iraq and Afghani insurgencies will intensify. Hezbollah might light up Israel again. It would also be the world largest recruiting poster for terrorists.

4. Bombing doesn`t stop a nuclear program, it at best delayes it.
(don`t bother bringing up Iraq)

Just my five cent.

martitrmartitr

You forgot US bases in Afghanistan and Bahrain.
Afghanistan would inflame the insurgency there, and also pushing the afghan to accept this would weaken their so called self government.
US cant use afghan bases at will. That would cause problems with the other countries that have troops in Afghanistan. They would be indirectly supporting the operations and thats a political nightmare.

That islamists have a popular majority in Bahrain. see 2006 election.
They also have close ties to the shiite and Al Sistani. I`m not sure if they would allow more than the 1500 troops that already are there, and no offensive ops.

Manfred2

And how now do we keep it open?
Good point, you started me wondering about the nuts and bolts of the response to Iran's moves.

We can use Airpower to destroy each and every ship, boat and submarine that Iran can use to drop mines... but only after it has been confirmed that they are making a move.
You know how long that can take...

And then you have to clear mines already laid. We have US helicopters towing sweeper sleds, Omani mine-sweepers, some minor assents from Gulf states, and then what?

You can drop mines almost anywhere in the Gulf and eventualy hurt something, it's not just the straits.

One last thing- You can drop mines with just about any type of aircraft, even an airliner on it's way to Mecca. How many aircraft larger than a Cessna does Iran have?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
One last thing- You can drop mines with just about any type of aircraft, even an airliner on it's way to Mecca. How many aircraft larger than a Cessna does Iran have?
Well, you'll still need a cargo door at least ;)

that'd make...

about ten Il-76
about ten Boeing 707/707F/727/747
about a dozen An-24
about a dozen An-74
a good dozen C-130
two dozen CH-47 helos
a few CH-53

Plus their five P-3 Orion of course as primary carriers.

kilo

I don't know about their smaller subs but the three kilos can carry 24 mines in lieu of torpedoes. However I don't think American P-3's or helos would have a hard time finding any sub in the narrow straight by dropping patterns of active sonobuoys

Manfred2

I don't know about their smaller subs but the three kilos can carry 24 mines in lieu of torpedoes. However I don't think American P-3's or helos would have a hard time finding any sub in the narrow straight by dropping patterns of active sonobuoys
I thought it was FOUR Kilos, don't tell me they lost one already? :cool:

Manfred2

Well, you'll still need a cargo door at least ;)

that'd make...

about ten Il-76
about ten Boeing 707/707F/727/747
about a dozen An-24
about a dozen An-74
a good dozen C-130
two dozen CH-47 helos
a few CH-53

Plus their five P-3 Orion of course as primary carriers.
I've heard about the readieness status since the fall of the Shah... and boy oh boy, how the mighty have fallen!

Im a little foggy on the AN-74, does anyone know the Stat's on that bird?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Dunno which variant they have. Generally, it's a An-26 replacement.

Payload is 10 tons or 52 passengers, max T/O weight 37 tons. overwing turbofan engines, max speed 440 mph, 430nm range with max payload, 2600nm ferry range.

shimmy

Am I Naive?

Am I too naive or could troop ,ovements in Iran just be a form of sabre rattling?
Could the movement of large amounts of troop be a way of warning the Iranian public about wanting "too much" freedom?

eaf-f16

Am I too naive or could troop ,ovements in Iran just be a form of sabre rattling?
Could the movement of large amounts of troop be a way of warning the Iranian public about wanting "too much" freedom?
What?!...

What the hell are you talking about?
Admin Text deleted. Please refer to the Forum Rules about acceptable posting standards. You have been on here long enough to know what is acceptable and how people are to be treated.

Last edited by a moderator: