Specwarops weapons

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
highsea said:
Without getting specific, and commercial secrets notwithstanding, I have a general question.

I am familiar with 2 and 3, they are pretty standard techniques. The only assault gun I have seen with a floating breech is the Steyr ACR. It seems to me that the lock time would be rather long, as the breech has to come up into firing position before the gun can shoot.

Using the gases to move the breech would eat up recoil, because the mass is moving up and down, rather than fore and aft, but how does that compare to the longer lock time (especially in aimed single shot use) as far as tradeoffs are concerned?

I am using the Steyr as an example here. If the gun can be ready to fire with the breech in position, then the lock time wouldn't be affected, it would just be a matter of the firing pin. In the Steyr, pulling the trigger starts the process where the breech moves up inline with the barrel. This seems like a disadvantage to me, because the long lock time and movement of the breech can affect the aim point.
Apols if I state the obvious in some of my response, but it might be useful for some of the others as well.

caveat. I am limited by what I can say.

Test weapon was based on a model 98 turkish mauser (probably the best bolt action mechanism made IMHO). It was used as the mule for a sniper weapon test

Recoil is managed at 3 levels, felt, lift and torque.

The floating breach is for felt management
evacuator is for lift management
crown modification is for lift and felt management
middle evacuator is for torque and lift
the floating breech movement is in milliseconds. the breech shape, chamber shape is computer designed so as to take advantage of a preferred propellant mix.

As soon as the round is expelled, there is no loss in reaction time or mechanical time to load up and fire again. It's the same as a conventional system.

It's designed for large subsonic rounds fired in an urban environment. It has been used in test environments where the general public didn't even hear the discharge. This is on a NATO std 7.62mm FMJ.

Interestingly enough, one of the evacuator/silencer models has now been picked up for use by some US specfor operators as personal pref items.