South Africa's Armed Forces situation?

Tempest

I suppose I should have payed better attention to the distances on Google Earth :unknown. Well the fact remains that they were in a position to give UNITA an excellent upper hand early on. In the end apartheid was doomed to failure. A system that artifical will fall eventually. The white South Africans realized that and that is why the stopped fighting; so they could get good terms while they still had some power, rather than fighting to the bitter end facing elimination.
I agree with you - South Africa's military dominance was not going to (DID NOT) last. Yes, when those nationalists movement took over, they were poorly trained guerilla armies taking over institutions which had for decades focused on fighting an insurgency, i.e. in no good position to fight a conventional SADF. In the case of Zimbabwe, SADF personnel had worked with the Rhodesians and new the country and military installations. Former RFs had joined the SADF, so South Africa had invaluable information on the Zimbabwean defenses. I would therefore conclude that for the first at least 5 years, while Zimbabwe was retraining, reorganization, re-equipping and changing command, they had no defence against South Africa. That is why at some point they needed foreign leadership in their military.

Shanliang

To contribute a little to this,

if you're intehrested in the SA Bush war in Nambia, do a search for 'bush war'. Also, you may have a look at www.acig.org, they cover the air aspect of this conflict pretty well.

Also, I recently read about a terrible accident during a live-firing exercise in SA, when a swiss-made Oerlikon *** 35mm twin AA gun went berserk and turned around, firing off its entire ammo, killing many solfiers, more than ten as far as I remember. People with experience on this gun tell me it's kinda hard to imagine how this could have happened, as the gun has security systems to prevent this and such an accident, as they say, was preciously unheard of... well... poor SA---

MadMacs

What a load of drivel

What a load of drivel, it's time you did some serious reading on the Bush War. We fought against Swapo and later helped Unita against the MPLA who were backed by the Cubans. The Anc were never in the war. The Americans dropped us in the sh1t in '75 and finally Cuba sued for peace not South Africa.

Corsair96

Does anyone have any sources on how the SADF's Offilants are looking? Isn't a Centurion based design with a 105mm cannon a little old for someone who claims to be as developed as South Africa?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It's not as if the started to field large amounts of modern armor in the last decades which would have pushed the procurement.

It's hard to get money for new tanks while the ones in charge don't see a threat.

swerve

Super Moderator
It's hard to get money for new tanks while the ones in charge don't see a threat.
Exactly. None of the immediate neighbours can field anything to match the Olifant. The real near-term threats are instability in neighbouring countries & piracy.

nkvd

i dont think RSA is the preeminent military power in southern Africa anymore.i would suggest Angola is.sadly the deterioration of SANDF is only set to accelarate-note the boxing of the Gripens.it makes me want to cry into my castle lager

MadMacs

i dont think RSA is the preeminent military power in southern Africa anymore.i would suggest Angola is.sadly the deterioration of SANDF is only set to accelarate-note the boxing of the Gripens.it makes me want to cry into my castle lager
Don't you think the kill ratio recently in CAR was good, better than anything achieved in the Bush War. Oh and 6th longest sniper kill of all time?

nkvd

the ratio of 15.1 was not the actual kill ratio ie it was only the ratio of combatants.as for the sniping distance yes its impressive but its irrelevant here