Sniper Role in Tank Warfare

Avid

Waylander nailed it. It's not like you're going to take multiple shots at a tank with a sniper rifle. Although, I have seen some brief German footage of a sniper with a large caliber rifle trying in Stalingrad.

chrisdef

I agree the op's idea isnt going to work and i know there is much much better targets out there for a sniper but out of interest what about shooting through the side of the tanks barrel with a .50, if you could either dent or damage it the next round fired could get stuck in it probably blowing the barrel and killing the loader (if the tank has one).
Or if the round managed to actually punch a hole ignoring the fact the round would probably again get stuck wouldnt the gun lose alot of pressure when firing and be massively innacurate (ie almost useless)?

My2Cents

I agree the op's idea isnt going to work and i know there is much much better targets out there for a sniper but out of interest what about shooting through the side of the tanks barrel with a .50, if you could either dent or damage it the next round fired could get stuck in it probably blowing the barrel and killing the loader (if the tank has one).
Or if the round managed to actually punch a hole ignoring the fact the round would probably again get stuck wouldnt the gun lose alot of pressure when firing and be massively innacurate (ie almost useless)?
A .50cal probably does not have the necessary penetration, you are trying to perforate an inch or more of very tough high strength steel. The round shape also means you would have to hit the barrel at almost exactly perpendicular to keep from glancing off. That means you would have to be located 90 degrees from the direction the tank is aiming and hit a target less than 1 inch high but several feet wide (along the axis of the barrel).

Pressure loss would not be significant for a .50cal hole. However, a penetrating hit should bend enough metal inward to damage a sabot and cause an uneven release. A full bore HEAT or HESH probably be damaged enough to fall apart in flight, assuming it does not detonate.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
However, a penetrating hit should bend enough metal inward to damage a sabot and cause an uneven release. A full bore HEAT or HESH probably be damaged enough to fall apart in flight, assuming it does not detonate.
agree re your prev.

I have seen a 120mm that had a compromised sleeve liner which resulted in a catastrophic discharge.

the odds of getting a round down a moving 120mm bore (past the evacuation point) is pretty remote.

H Nelson

Why couldn't a sniper with armor piercing round lob a few rounds into the canons of the enemy tanks prior to firing.?

Huh? Never ever are you going to hit the muzzle of a tank gun with any accuracy over some distance.
There is a reason why it was never done.
Even if the tank was at a stand still, the sniper would have to be at the exact level of the muzzle and pointing his gun at the exact angle of the barrel. More often than not, this would leave the sniper exposed, since they are likely to be face down on the ground or high up in a building.

My2Cents

Even if the tank was at a stand still, the sniper would have to be at the exact level of the muzzle and pointing his gun at the exact angle of the barrel. More often than not, this would leave the sniper exposed, since they are likely to be face down on the ground or high up in a building.
Which would also mean that the sniper is looking straight down the barrel of the cannon and the coax, and nearly straight into the gunner's sight. How likely is the gunner to miss the muzzle flash?

Question: Does the gunner use the coax, the main gun, or both?