Skunk Works unveil SR-72 concept

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Airborne acoustic anomalies are more easily controlled through changing the configuration of the source (the aircraft) itself. e.g. A hypersonic biplane reduces the acoustic signature dramatically over a mono-plane configuration because it creates wave cancellation and disruptor effects. You also get interesting compressive lift qualities from a biplane. There is plenty of open source information on supersonic biplanes.

The Return of the Supersonic Biplane - Popular Mechanics

cheers

w
Thanks for the info, I've got some more reading to do..
It would seem to be a pretty big development going to a completely hypersonic plane with hypersonic weapons. I would assume the biggest risk of the project is not technical but budgetary?

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for the info, I've got some more reading to do..
It would seem to be a pretty big development going to a completely hypersonic plane with hypersonic weapons. I would assume the biggest risk of the project is not technical but budgetary?
:daz

...As always! Hence coordinating the press release, to energize the customer's SME (The US Air Force).

Despite being very clever about it, LM do have a problem, though. Their port folio relies on one customer. I honestly don't think they realize that they could provide services to the .com sector as well and still make a tidy profit. They certainly have the skill set. BAE is the same.

cheers

w

Juice

:daz

...As always! Hence coordinating the press release, to energize the customer's SME (The US Air Force).

Despite being very clever about it, LM do have a problem, though. Their port folio relies on one customer. I honestly don't think they realize that they could provide services to the .com sector as well and still make a tidy profit. They certainly have the skill set. BAE is the same.

cheers

w
However, LM and BAE have competitive advantages in thier field which would be impossible in any other industry without the collosal barriers to entry in endeavors such as designing hypersonic spy planes... :D