Russian MIG-29 Shoots Georgian UAV

ghanz

Tension is high between Russia and Georgia as Russia is boosting up troops around Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
source: bbc/europe

Chrom

Tension is high between Russia and Georgia as Russia is boosting up troops around Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
source: bbc/europe
These "boosted" troops are there for about 3-4 years, since the 2nd Chechnya war ends. From time to time russians do demonstrative military exercises in response to Georgian demonstrative military maneuvers or usual Georgian president promises to annihilate these separatists... but thats it. Nothing new for the last 5 years.

Chrom

Thats a positive Mig 29 Of course. Btw what has the drone see that made the russians shoot it?

PLus thats 1 really awesome video I've seen from a very long time as well!
Btw, Mig-29 in russian service cant carry missiles under wing tips. Seems this contradicts to the video.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
For me it looks like it could also very well be a missile fired from the outer wing pylon...

Lostfleet

During WWII, fighters over Britan sometimes shot down V-1's with going to its side and tipping it over with their wings,

hypothetically can a similar method would work for shooting down UAV's ?

Dr Freud

That was an option when a fighter costed $100.000, and if there was a scratch on the plane after, it could be fixed with a sledge-hammer.

superhornet

well, it should be Mig-29... launch R-73, good shoot anyway. probably , UAV has no time to response cause it's very closed. obviously, Russia knows that its hostility must be cameraed. so we can figure out that russia is not afraid of deplomatic dispute. i think Russia is trying to deliver certain message to George. otherwise, Mig-29 can use medium- range radar guided missile like R-27 to destroy the UAV.:)

nevidimka

Btw, Mig-29 in russian service cant carry missiles under wing tips. Seems this contradicts to the video.
That is a Mig29. I notice about the missile too, but i think its a confusion, coz the missile is very fast off of the rails and the video quality is poor... giving a look as if it came from the wingtip. The missile should be a R73, which is always positioned at the outermost wing pylon of the Mig29.

Lostfleet

That was an option when a fighter costed $100.000, and if there was a scratch on the plane after, it could be fixed with a sledge-hammer.
Yet still, it would be an interesting acrobatics to watch :)

but after I posted my remark I realized that even if the aircraft tips the UAV over, the on-board computer is going to make UAV straight back up on its path, stupid me,

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interestingly enough I recall seeing that when the claim that the UAV was shot down by abkhazian AD systems was first made, georgia denied that the UAV existed. Only when wreckage was publically demonstrated, they changed their story and displayed the video. What is also interesting is that after the video surfaced, the abkhazians changed their claim, and now said it was a L-39 jet in service with the Abkhazian air force that shot it down. It seems like both sides are in the wrong.

Chrom

1. The only single fact everyone agree - spy plane was shot down.

2. This particular video - proves nothing. Such very, very bad quality was most likely intentionally chosen to cover falsification.

3. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4__azM4EyhM&NR=1"]YouTube - iran plane[/ame] as example. Note, in this fake Mig-29 is about 5 times larger than on Georgian video. On Georgian video the plane size is 10 blurred pixels... lol. Even my ancient 486dx will easefully edit that video so noone can prove falsification.

4. Georgia did not presented or demonstrated this video as fact on UN council
meeting. They however spammed it prior to all UN members - BUT didnt presented it as fact on the meeting.

5. No official organization (UN, NATO, any country) supported Georgian claims of Mig-29 shooting UAV. They however expressed usual discontent with "escalating tensions in Abkhazia".

6. Russian Foreign Ministry officially declared this as fake. So basically, this is Georgian vs Russian words. We need more reliable facts.

Chrom

Interestingly enough I recall seeing that when the claim that the UAV was shot down by abkhazian AD systems was first made, georgia denied that the UAV existed. Only when wreckage was publically demonstrated, they changed their story and displayed the video. What is also interesting is that after the video surfaced, the abkhazians changed their claim, and now said it was a L-39 jet in service with the Abkhazian air force that shot it down. It seems like both sides are in the wrong.
"AD system" can mean anything - from Igla manpad to F-22 interceptor. Everything what can affect air targets - is included in Air Defense System.

Chrom

Abkhazian PVO implies specific assets, primarily SAMs and SPAAGs.
PVO in russian means both aircrafts and ground-based defense. For example, Mig-31 were always part of USSR PVO system. Mig-29 - always part of airforce.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
And more and more reports of Georgian troops massing near abkhazia. Georgian claims they can capture Abkhazia in under 3 hours, etc. additional CIS peacekeepers moved in.... not looking good.

Chrom

And more and more reports of Georgian troops massing near abkhazia. Georgian claims they can capture Abkhazia in under 3 hours, etc. additional CIS peacekeepers moved in.... not looking good.
Georgia do these threating postures every 3 months, so i dont expect anything serious out of it.

Btw, 2 UAV's confirmed by Abkhazia. Georgia deny any UAV was shot down.

I guess this will end any discussion whenever Abkhazia have assets to shot down UAV's.