Russia helps China build new aircraft carrier

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
AHA!!!! I knew it! 3 carriers. Not 5-6. One for each of Pacific and Northern, and one in maintenance.

swerve

Super Moderator
Brazil and France rely heavily on the US Navy not only for technical assistance for CATOBAR systems, but also for final carrier qualifications for their pilots. It would be interesting to see where the PLAN would receive similar CATOBAR support.
France relies on the USA purely for cost reasons, as the UK will do if it converts CVF to catapult launch. I'm sure China (& Russia) can do better than British 1950s technology - and that's all it takes to build steam catapults. I don't see why China needs support.

The RN went from no catapults on carriers, via hydraulic catapults, to newly-invented British-built steam catapults launching jets in less time than some people claim it would take China, after years of studying carriers & catapults, & with decades of other other nations experience to build on, to build a catapult. :confused:

shag

The RN went from no catapults on carriers, via hydraulic catapults, to newly-invented British-built steam catapults launching jets in less time than some people claim it would take China, after years of studying carriers & catapults, & with decades of other other nations experience to build on, to build a catapult. :confused:
I think he means catapult launch training rather than catapult development itself.

shag

found this video about the modifications on vikramaditya if anyone is interested. the ski jump installation is complete and the island looks like it is in final stages. You also see some work being done on the infamous rewiring issue.
Russians and Indians seem to have somehow come to an agreement for installing newer parts instead of repairing old ones, this was one of the sticky issues which lead to delays. Looks like Russians have pulled up their socks on this. I guess they saw the risk of loosing such an important arms market, seeing how badly they had pushed the indians to the edge with this carrier regarding delays and cost overruns
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NM610D4HIA]YouTube - India's Aircraft Carrier INS Vikramaditya is being built in Russia - Part 4[/ame]
The modifications on the ship are heavier than I expected them to be. I didn't have information on extensions on the side to increase deck space(aircraft stowage capacity?) clearly mentioned in this video.

I would love to see some reports like this on varyag to compare the progress.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're right about the Russian position. We even agreed to lower the cost allegedly.

shag

Do you think the fact that indian navy used catapults launches on Vikrant before replacing it with a ski jump and arrestor gear would help experience vise if India decides to go in for a hybrid for second carrier or hybrid or CATOBAR config for the third carrier?
or is the time gap too significant to be of any use vis a vis catapult launch experience.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It's really hard to say. I think they might be willing to wait until domestic flankers are more ready. We haven't seen any photo of a naval flanker undergoing flight tests yet, but I think that will come in the next year. Until then, the pilots in the flight school will first work with take off and landing with Su-30MK2s, try out the carrier training center NITKA in Ukraine and also they've signed an agreement to train on the Sao Paulo Carrier. Which, basically confirms that they are going with catapult on their first domestic carrier.
The Beijing-Brazil Naval Axis

. . . That leaves Brazil, which was only too happy to let PLAN officers train aboard its 52-year-old carrier, the São Paulo (which it bought from France in 2000). Brazilian Defense Minister Nelson Jobim revealed the program in an interview with a Brazilian defense website in May. Although the exact terms of the deal are unknown, it is widely thought that the Chinese might be funding a restoration of the aging São Paulo in exchange for the training program. A Chinese naval website also hinted that China might be helping Brazil build nuclear submarines, and Jobim himself said that he hoped the program would lead to military cooperation in other areas.
The Brazilians must be keeping this low key as nothing else has appeared in the news here regarding the PLAN. Also may have to do with the São Paulo only recently returning to service after a lengthy yard period (since 2005).

einsamuboot

Support! if somebody says that China is just copying the technique, he/she is ignoring the fact. The high speed railway is good example. If China only copied the tech, could China be a strong competitor in the high speed railway market in the US?

rip

Support! if somebody says that China is just copying the technique, he/she is ignoring the fact. The high speed railway is good example. If China only copied the tech, could China be a strong competitor in the high speed railway market in the US?
The biggest problem in the US to High Speed Rail is getting the right of way. All the other problems are easier and cheaper and faster to solve than that one. The only places that are easy to get right of way is where not many people live. It is not China the goverment can not say move and people have to move.