Russia-Georgia Conflict: News From the War zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burunsuzoglu

The CNn kept reporting that Gerogia has about 7 combat planes. B4 the war started didn't Georgia have about 100+?

Also if Nato tries to absorb Ukraine, I think there will be some form of Russian intervention militarily or the breakup of Ukraine.

Seriously if these former Soviet States think they are improving their security by joining NATO they are seriously mistaken. They are instead making their territory even more vulnerable to war and a possible nuclear strike.
The figure probably includes their helicopters including a number of ex USA/Turkey UH-1Hs

Burunsuzoglu

Russian MOD briefing: Overalll russian combined losses:

74 KIA
171 WIA
19 MIA (including possible captured by Georgians)

The data are still not final.

Ossetian army/police losses are not public, but should be several times greater.

Russians final losses will be in order 100-120 KIA i think

Georgian army losses - at least 1200 KIA and 3000-4000 MIA, but real figures are still not publicized.
In that case you can probably add another 0 onto the Russian casualties.

Chrom

In that case you can probably add another 0 onto the Russian casualties.
Impossible. In first 2 days (when most losses inflicted) there were not enough russian troops for such casualties. In last 2 days Georgians were already routed, so russian casualties were very low.

Witnessed said Gori hospital alone in 8,9,10 August accepted ~ 1500 WIA.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah you can. So it's confirmed that it's a Russian tank and that K-5 has been retrofitted to T-72's?

EDIT: It can't be a T-90, there aren't any in the conflict zone. Could it be a Georgian tank? The Russian MoD didn't report any tank casualties. And another after thought, could the Russian casualties be much higher then those officially reported? Georgia claims 400 Russians dead, Russian MoD claims 21.
It has to be a Russian T-72 retrofitted with K5, they were the only ones that had some of their tanks fitted with it. Look at the second tank in this photo, this is one of the first Russian units coming in the conflict.

Last edited by a moderator:

Type59

It has to be a Russian T-72 retrofitted with K5, they were the only ones that had some of their tanks fitted with it. Look at the second tank in this photo, this is one of the first Russian units coming in the conflict.
Regarding the first T-72 in the picture. On the right of the gunners vision block is that a thermal imaging sight beside it?

Burunsuzoglu

what's that behind the T72, T80?

nevidimka

hmm..I'm confused. The tank in front with its shield for the gunner and its ERA look just like those Georgian T-72's they been showing in the news all these time.

But the tank behind it does have Russian ERA. Suppose this is a Georgian T72 tank which was abandoned n now captured by russians?

Plus the tank behind the front does look like it has the APS. Drodz?

nevidimka

Mate i have to disagree with you there. The Russians have shown their regional power status by this conflict (realistically this was allways going to be the outcome), but if you think Putin is going to intervene military with a NATO member then you're crazier than he would be. By its very foundations any military action on a NATO member means a full millitary response from every member. If any member refused to defend the Ukraine the alliance would effectively dissolve, and no major EU power (or the yanks) are going to let the cornerstone of their security evaporate over a minor conflict with the Russians.

This aggressive action will have two effects in Russia's FSU neighbors. If they have the option they will align even closer with a competing power (i.e. the west or China) or they will cow to the Russians. In the case of the Ukraine, a nation who already has significant (and popular) western leanings and NATO membership intentions, this will only drive them headlong into the hands of the west, who will realize that the only thing that will stop Russian aggression is NATO membership. If anything this little Georgian adventure will swell the ranks of NATO.

As for the breakup of the Ukraine, somehow i doubt that.

NO I ment Russian intervention prior to Ukraine becoming a NATO member, because if they let it too late it would become complicated.

Just like in the Georgian situation.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Regarding the first T-72 in the picture. On the right of the gunners vision block is that a thermal imaging sight beside it?
No it is not, they are equipped with IR, you will notice that both tanks are equipped with IR searchlights located at the left hand side of the gun tube.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
what's that behind the T72, T80?
No T-80`s were involved in this conflict, the tanks in the photo are all T-72 model Bs, this unit most likely was in the process of going to the K5 upgrade before their big exercise that they were involved in prior to hostilities breaking out.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
hmm..I'm confused. The tank in front with its shield for the gunner and its ERA look just like those Georgian T-72's they been showing in the news all these time.

But the tank behind it does have Russian ERA. Suppose this is a Georgian T72 tank which was abandoned n now captured by russians?

Plus the tank behind the front does look like it has the APS. Drodz?
Both Russia and Georgia were fighting with T-72B1 model tanks with early Russian generation ERA packages which have made it very confusing on what belongs to who on the battlefield, I would like to read the Russian and Georgian after action reports if they ever become public to see how they handled the fracticide issue. APS that I cannot see.

Last edited:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Lately we have had multiple threads on Russia and Georgia conflict & all following the same pattern where members disobey the rules and threads getting closed. In addition there have been several complains regarding these thread and all the moderators are getting tired of it. Therefore, I am leaving an advance warning.

Any sort of flaming, personal attacks, senseless one liners & disobedience of the rules will get this thread locked, may be get some members banned, and more threads on Georgia-Russia will "not" be allowed.

Hoping for your cooperation.

Thanks!

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Both Russia and Georgia were fighting with T-72B1 model tanks with early Russian generation ERA packages which have made it very confusing on what belongs to who on the battlefield, I would like to read the Russian and Georgian after action reports if they ever become public to see how they handled the fracticide issue. APS that I cannot see.

It could be an utter nightmare to sort out IMV. The Russians aren't very keen on combat operations at night either which could add to the confusion. Look at the times of the major offensives. Daytime. The pilots on both sides would also have their hands full. Kind of reminds me of doing force on force at places like Irwin where the "Krasnovians" have "T-80's" which somehow manage to look like Abrams minus the side skirts, 55 Gal drums welded to the back deck and cammo nets rolled up along the gun tube. Surprisingly effective Vis Mod BUT in the heat of things it's not hard to make a mistake at distance. After all, an M1 is an M1 when you are in a hurry. Similarly a T-72, is a T-72.

CNN has an embed with the Russian armor unit IVO Tbilisi. I'm sure there will be plenty of film we can go over coming soon. The fact that a CNN embed is rolling with the Russians is both news worth and militarily significant by itself!

Also fascinating is the coordinated Cyber attacks and Airstrikes by the Russian Air Force against Georgian communications links to the outside world.

-DA

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
This is now the only dedicated thread to the Russian-Georgian conflict. No other threads are allowed on this issue. Everything that goes on in this conflict goes into this thread.

Thanks you!

Type59

No it is not, they are equipped with IR, you will notice that both tanks are equipped with IR searchlights located at the left hand side of the gun tube.

I asked because I never seen it before, until this conflict. This feature must only be on Soviet tanks because Russia and Georgia both have this feature?!

Note the picture I have circled the area I thought might be Thermal scope but it is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.