Royal Saudi Air Force

SaudiArabian

And keep in mind Saudi got a downgraded one.
the F-15S's were upgraded later. a writer called Henry Marter (or Martr , i'm uncertain of his name) has an article on that in Janes website

the last upgrading was changing the Jets' engines

the F-15S shouldn't be called "downgraded" anymore unless if its to describe its condition to make the deal done and pass the congress in 1992

eaf-f16

the F-15S's were upgraded later. a writer called Henry Marter (or Martr , i'm uncertain of his name) has an article on that in Janes website

the last upgrading was changing the Jets' engines

the F-15S shouldn't be called "downgraded" anymore unless if its to describe its condition to make the deal done and pass the congress in 1992
The radars in synthetic apture mode have three times less resoloution than the original. The F-15S (AFAIK) is a downgraded F-15E.

metro

Saw it on the net. It says the IAF beat them even more the 200 times with the Python 4 or 5 slaved to their HMS while USAF used AIM-9L/M. Not surprising the won that many times.
If you come across the link to this I'd be interested in reading it--i haven't heard anything like that before either...

A

Aussie Digger

I meant everything I said and I did mean American. The Americans charge way too much money for things that aren't the very best. Some them have the highest price tag but not the highest performance like the F-15E or F-15S in Saudi's case. IIRC they cost $75-100 million, with price tag like that you'd think you'd be getting the best plane around. Such a plane had been given a chance to prove it's more than a ground attack plane and that it maintained all of it's A2A capabilities (as advertised) yet the only A2A kill it had is droping a bomb on helicopter taking off. And keep in mind Saudi got a downgraded one. If they had spent $45-50 million on something like an Su-30 like the MKI or MKM and fitted it with European avionics wouldn't that be a better deal? And since there are no restrictions on how many you can buy (or what you can buy) you can order as much as twice as many planes if you had ordered the Su-30 than you would have when you bought the F-15E and you would be buying (for the most part) a better plane. Another example is the PAC-3 systems they have. I'm not sure about the price tag but I think it's higher than a late model S-300 (not S-400), correct me if I'm wrong. Why would you pay more for something that's literally a copy of the other more capable system (or even if it is the same price)? Have you ever paid more money for a knock-off than you did an original. Of course some of the US equipment the Saudis have can't be replaced and are truley top notch. But the only system that comes to mind at the moment is the E-3C AWACS they have. Nobody seems to be willing to buy the A-50 Mainstay and maybe with good reason. Anyways i shouldn't have been as general as I was in the post. But you can't deny some of the equippment the US sells have the highest price but not the highest performance (F-16 Block 60/62 being a shining example at $100 million).
The F-15 has proven itself THE premier fighter over the past 30 years.

It has an OPERATIONAL kill ratio of over 100 to nil in ACTUAL air combat with multiple users (including yes, the Saudi's who've obtained multiple A2A kills with the F-15).

Would you care to name a post WW2 Soviet fighter that has a better operational record than an F-15 in combat?

The PAC-3 is a copy? PAC-3 stands for Patriot Advanced capability -3 (version 3). It has NOTHING to do with either the S-300 or the S-400. I'm sure Patriot does cost more.

However the only proof you can offer of the so-called superiority of these systems is marketing hype.

Sorry but I'll take reports on real world combat performance over a salesman brief any day of the week.

So it would seem, would the Saudi's who have successfully operated the F-15 for 20 plus years and have enjoyed the protection that Patriot SAM systems can provide.

Do you know the full performance of the American F-16 Block 60 fighters or do you read global-security.org or other sites like it and seriously think you can make a better judgement of an aircraft's capability than a professional military force who undoubtedly conducted a thorough evaluation of said aircraft prior to acquiring it?

eaf-f16

The F-15 has proven itself THE premier fighter over the past 30 years.

It has an OPERATIONAL kill ratio of over 100 to nil in ACTUAL air combat with multiple users (including yes, the Saudi's who've obtained multiple A2A kills with the F-15).

Would you care to name a post WW2 Soviet fighter that has a better operational record than an F-15 in combat?

The PAC-3 is a copy? PAC-3 stands for Patriot Advanced capability -3 (version 3). It has NOTHING to do with either the S-300 or the S-400. I'm sure Patriot does cost more.

However the only proof you can offer of the so-called superiority of these systems is marketing hype.

Sorry but I'll take reports on real world combat performance over a salesman brief any day of the week.

So it would seem, would the Saudi's who have successfully operated the F-15 for 20 plus years and have enjoyed the protection that Patriot SAM systems can provide.

Do you know the full performance of the American F-16 Block 60 fighters or do you read global-security.org or other sites like it and seriously think you can make a better judgement of an aircraft's capability than a professional military force who undoubtedly conducted a thorough evaluation of said aircraft prior to acquiring it?
Calm down there. Marketing hype ,huh? So why wasn't India (or Malaysia [has American planes], Algeria and Indonesia [has American planes]) rushing to get the F-15E? Was it becuase the Su-30MKI made the F-15E look like trash? And the US said they bought an S-300 "to fit superior technology to the Patriot" translation: they probably took design concepts of the S-300 to make your beloved "Patriot Advanced Capability-3". And as the for the protection Saudi "enjoyed" (IIRC) the Patriot had a success percentage of less than 50% in the Gulf War and that was against "Hussien" missiles and we all know how sophisticated those were. There is no doubt in my mind that the S-300's and S-400's capabilities are far superior to those of the PAC-3 system and they're probably cheaper. And you're so called "real world combat performance". Yes, very real world. I think when the world's most powerful military goes against a third world military that was choked by sanctions the world's most powerful military is expected to have dazzling results. Not only was the Iraqi Air Force suffering from sanctions and bad pilot training, they were lacking AWACS. Are you telling me that when an F-15 flown by a 1st rate pilot and has AWACS support flies against 5th rate pilot in a poorly maintained plane and shoots it down, it's a show of how good it is? I said when used professionally Russian equipment would have the upper hand. But of course if you're lacking support systems, training and maintenance you're not going to have the desired results. As for the Saudi kills with F-15 they were going against the same obsolete planes the US was going against. When I see the F-15S score a kill against an Su-30MKI when both platforms have AWACS support, well trained pilots and were well maintained that's when I'll say the F-15 is better otherwise give real evidence that any of the very expensive (and AFAIK downgraded) F-15's Saudi has is better than an Su-30 tailored to Saudi specs.

Last edited:

SaudiArabian

eaf-16

the Patriot is a very successful and excellent air defense system. it was designed to intercept aircrafts NOT ballistic missiles and therefore it is completely prejudice to compare it with S-300 and S-400

it took 5 PAC-2 missiles to shot down a SCUD in the Gulf war and thats because the warhead of the PAC-2 was to specifically shot down aircraft

these problems were solved in the PAC-3 as i heard

secondly i remind you again , the Saudi F-15S is no longer downgraded (unless if you base your info on 1992). many things were upgraded and installed in it.

eaf-f16

eaf-16

the Patriot is a very successful and excellent air defense system. it was designed to intercept aircrafts NOT ballistic missiles and therefore it is completely prejudice to compare it with S-300 and S-400

it took 5 PAC-2 missiles to shot down a SCUD in the Gulf war and thats because the warhead of the PAC-2 was to specifically shot down aircraft

these problems were solved in the PAC-3 as i heard

secondly i remind you again , the Saudi F-15S is no longer downgraded (unless if you base your info on 1992). many things were upgraded and installed in it.
I was just responding to Aussie Diggers claims that the PAC-3 is better than the S-300/S-400.

But can you still honestly say you're money wouldn't have been better spent on a Russian system? If so then I retract all of what I've said about the PAC-3. As for the F-15's being upgraded I stand corrected but would you mind giving me a link? And just like what I have said above with the PAC-3, can you say the money spent on you're F-15's wouldn't have been better spent on Su-30's tailored to you're needs? If so then I take back what I said about the F-15.

Last edited:

SaudiArabian

But can you still honestly say you're money wouldn't have been better spent on a Russian system? If so then I retract all of what I've said about the PAC-3.
no because we have many of experience with US and French air defense systems while we have Zero experience on any Russian Air Defense system other than man-portable ones

if we aquire Russian air defense systems then it means we are starting from Zero again !!

As for the F-15's being upgraded I stand corrected but would you mind giving me a link?
as i mentioned earlier , its on Janes but for subscribers only and written by Henry Marter (or Martr , unsure of the name) as an English source

the Arab sources are Khaleeji military magazines and mostly unavailable to the internet. the UAE airforce magazine (i think edition #180) has mentioned before that the Kingdom has replaced all the F-15S radars

And just like what I have said above with the PAC-3, can you say the money spent on you're F-15's wouldn't have been better spent on Su-30's tailored to you're needs? If so then I take back what I said about the F-15.
no because there are differences , a guy in the RSAF told me the Russian jet fighters are different and gave a one simple example that it measures the altitude by meters instead of feet (which Saudi pilots are used to is feet and not meters)

secondly , adding US and Russian jet fighters in one Airforce will make it extremely expensive to operate , hard to act together , hard to maintain , hard to train and hard to gain experience

thirdly , during the time the F-15C/D's were delivered (1982) , there was no Saudi-Soviet relations , infact it was terrible (Afghanistan war)

fourthly , the Russian fighter planes have very terrible record in past wars and therefore i can not trust it

by the way what does the terms (AFAIK) and (IMO or IMHO) mean ? :confused:

eaf-f16

no because we have many of experience with US and French air defense systems while we have Zero experience on any Russian Air Defense system other than man-portable ones

if we aquire Russian air defense systems then it means we are starting from Zero again !!

as i mentioned earlier , its on Janes but for subscribers only and written by Henry Marter (or Martr , unsure of the name) as an English source

the Arab sources are Khaleeji military magazines and mostly unavailable to the internet. the UAE airforce magazine (i think edition #180) has mentioned before that the Kingdom has replaced all the F-15S radars

no because there are differences , a guy in the RSAF told me the Russian jet fighters are different and gave a one simple example that it measures the altitude by meters instead of feet (which Saudi pilots are used to is feet and not meters)

secondly , adding US and Russian jet fighters in one Airforce will make it extremely expensive to operate , hard to act together , hard to maintain , hard to train and hard to gain experience

thirdly , during the time the F-15C/D's were delivered (1982) , there was no Saudi-Soviet relations , infact it was terrible (Afghanistan war)

fourthly , the Russian fighter planes have very terrible record in past wars and therefore i can not trust it

by the way what does the terms (AFAIK) and (IMO or IMHO) mean ? :confused:
I wasn't proposing that you use Russian jets in conjunction with American ones I was saying not to buy the American ones in the first place and you bring up some good points but I have to say it's not like Saudi has one single type of plane from one single country in fact your two frontline planes are from two diffrent countries and are two very diffrent planes. As for their terrible record I already explained in the previous post read it again if you'd like.

AFAIK means As Far As I Know

IMO means In My Opinion

IMHO means In My Humble Opinion

Izzy1

Banned Member
Personally anticipating movement on the RSAF's Tornado Sustainment and Typhoon deals what with the Saudi King's state visit to the UK now scheduled for late October.

nyrhex

That's asymmetric warfare where cowards use women and children as well as civilian infrastructure to hide. I'm pretty sure the Iranians aren't about to launch rockets out of apartment buildings. I also believe that IAF was also going on "revenge killing" rampage in Lebanon to deter future rocket attacks (and it worked) so it may have shifted their focus for a while. It's hard to believe that 7,000 air strikes using JDAM equipped F-16I's that were supposed to disarm Hizbollah didn't do so unless most of the air strikes were intended for Lebanese civilian infrastructure to bring down support for Hizbollah and make the militia group think twice before doing what it did again.
no, there was no "revenge killing", it was not a war(at the time) so there were alot of limitations on ammo and rules of engagement, to kill 1100 civils is a job for a few hours, not a month, most of the civils killed died in the last week of the war, when the IAF was running out of "smart bombs"(it was an "extended operation", meaning that there were limitations on ammo, most of the smart bombs were saved for incase Syria decided to join the conflict), all the long range and medium range rockets Hezbullah had were destroyed in the first day, thanks to inteligence, the problem was that there were 10-20k short range rockets left, and an unknown number of launchers to destroy, and as i said, rules of engagement prevented from the IAF to bomb civilian buildings with rocket launchers in them, if it was a war, the houses would have been bombed regardless of the civils inside.

eaf-f16

hang on,is what that happened?
Yeah, that's what I though happened. Isn't it just a little hard to believe that Hezbollah was still able to operate and launch huge amounts of rockets even after a month of bombardment (and maintains the same capability today) but that the civilian infrastructure was completely destroyed in South Lebanon within the first few days of war. You bombed apartment buildings for goodness sake. I really think Israel meant everything that it did. I saw footage of them dropping bombs (I think GBU-12's) in the middle of streets on individual cars. And it's really nice hearing from an Israeli first-hand that "if it was truly war that you would've killed even more civilians". You're just for reinforcing the stereo-type in the Arab world that all Israelis are ruthless war lovers (which I don't think/hope is true).

nyrhex

Yeah, that's what I though happened. Isn't it just a little hard to believe that Hezbollah was still able to operate and launch huge amounts of rockets even after a month of bombardment (and maintains the same capability today) but that the civilian infrastructure was completely destroyed in South Lebanon within the first few days of war. You bombed apartment buildings for goodness sake. I really think Israel meant everything that it did. I saw footage of them dropping bombs (I think GBU-12's) in the middle of streets on individual cars. And it's really nice hearing from an Israeli first-hand that "if it was truly war that you would've killed even more civilians". You're just for reinforcing the stereo-type in the Arab world that all Israelis are ruthless war lovers (which I don't think/hope is true).
no you got me all wrong, the apartment buildings that you saw were in the Hezbullah section, if youll see from a satelite picture, most of Beirut is ok, the section that was under Hezbullah controll got the hits, i didnt mean that in war time Israel would have killed civils, i meant that Israeli pilots would have bombed thier targets even if they were close to civilians, without the early warning of droping leaflets, and there would not have been "dumb bombs" because the army could hvae used its war time supplys, in war time the civilians would still not be targets, but they would have been in much more dangre then in the last conflict, cheack out youtube for clips of the IAF in Lebanon, you would see UAV vids that show you that when the UAV sees some kids playing next to the launchers or when the launchers are next to an apartment building(not in the Hezbullah controlled sector) the UAV operator does not give the pilot the green light. in the war there was a spec ops raid in Tyre, the only reason the special forces were used instead of using land or sea arty or the IAF was that the building was mosly a civilian building.

swerve

Super Moderator
[Moderation mode]

Interesting as this discussion on the conduct of Israeli & Hizbollah operations in Lebanon is, does it really belong in a thread on the Saudi Air Force?

Perhaps it might be better in its own thread, probably in another part of the forum.

[/Moderation mode]

nyrhex

[Moderation mode]

Interesting as this discussion on the conduct of Israeli & Hizbollah operations in Lebanon is, does it really belong in a thread on the Saudi Air Force?

Perhaps it might be better in its own thread, probably in another part of the forum.

[/Moderation mode]
i agree that this should be in some other thread but i just wanted to explain that the last Israel-Lebanon conflict is not a good example for how an air force will operate against ground forces, as i said, it was not a war so its not a good example of how a scenario between KSA and Iran will look like.

shimmy

Saudis and Israelis

Despite all the rhetoric, Saudi Arabia has nothing to do with Israel. It has internal (possible power of fundamentalists) and external(a war-like Shiite Iran and Shiite forces in Iraq) problems of their own to deal with.
Many Saudi bigwigs get their medical care at that hospital with the Chagal windows. The Saudis really don't care about the borders of Israel. They ultimately don't care about the people of the West Bank or of Gaza.
Luckily, the engineers sabotaged the F-14's that were left in Iran after the Shah was deposed.Even if Iran could afford good fighter aircraft from Putin would they be able to get a supply of good pilots?Not just anyone can fly a Su-27.
I don't think that the USA would allow an Iran to fight against Saudi Arabia long term and Iran knows it.