RAN RAS vessels

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This is a bit of guesswork but I wonder if Success currently carries such a comparatively large crew. It used to be equipped with up to 3x40mm Bofors guns and at one stage was also fitted with 2 Phalanx CIWS. The last time it visited Hobart no armament was fitted, apart from 0.50 cal MG positions. The fact that it is more than just an oiler and regularly embarks a Sea King helo for vertrep would also account for additional crew being required.
Part of the large crew number is based upon the inventory of spares & supplies that she can carry other than just liquids. You are right about the flight bulking out the number aswell. Success does have a number of spare bunks that are used for trainees for sea-riding.
Cheers

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
But there in itself is a catch-22. Again Alex could confirm, but I was under the distinct impression that some Port Authorities were mumbling about excluding mil-vessels if they didn't comply.

To use a far fetched but remotely possible example. The City of San Francisco is having a turbid and turgid relationship with the USN. You can imagine if it really deteriorated and SF decided to try and decline entry or decline mooring to non compliant military vessels.

At PACNAV 2002 I met US Harbour authorities who were seriously looking at technology that forced vessels to revert to electric motors once they hit harbour waters.
Sorry for the lack of a response but I have been out of the country for a while.

Rule 13G of annex I of MARPOL 73/78 requires tankers to be double hulled. There is also the option of a double side and mid deck hull but that has not be takne up to my knowledge.

MARPOL, like SOLAS, in its application specifically excludes warships. The Westralia, being a commissioned vessel, falls into that category and technically it could have been kept operating. However, warships still have to request permission to enter the port of another state so it is possible that this may have caused some complication although I have some doubts

From my knowledge of the project defence have taken the decision to apply international conventions to the greatest extent possible hence the decision to aquire a new vessel. In addition I understand the Westralia was pretty long in the tooth and not the cheapest beast to operate. The Sirius is a modern handymax tanker with a slow speed two stroke diesel. In addition to reduced consumption both the main engine and auxillaries all run on heavy fuel cutting operating cost compared to Gasoil (MDO) which is about 5 time more expensive per tonne. The more modern engine and auxillaries are common models and as such support is not a hugh issue and tends to be cheaper than older systems.

We actually got a very good deal on the ship we bought as ship building prices have gone through the roof since. I have been relaibly informed the operators who sold the vessle to DMO actaually tried to buy it back later for more money. Given we have essntiually replaced Westralia with a 'tanker' of similar operational capability it is a pretty good deal for the costs.

In so far as crew is concerned as a commercial vessel this ship could be operated with a crew in the order of 20 personnel.