Queen Elizabeth Class Carriers Amphibious/Royal Marine Capability

AUS-man

Bit off topic here but i believe the UK have lost their naval dominance/doctrine that they had during the world wars and the US navy have picked it up

swerve

Super Moderator
Quite a pile of change in fact - RFA Argus is an ex commercial container ship and probably cost buttons compared to a military design, Ocean was what, £200 mill back in the day ? Add 'em both together and I'd be surprised if it all came to £400 million now (the entire MARS program is £450million I believe?
Ocean was underbid, & the yard lost money. She was also under-specced, & IIRC needed some remedial work. Add that cost in & allow for inflation & I think you'd be looking at £500 million or so in ten years time.

But - you can get a comparable ship built for less, if you don't insist she's built in the UK.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, which is why IMO for that cost there's no way she'll get a like-for-like replacement.

Still can't plug the 2 LPDs replaced with 2 LHDs idea in the 2030s enough, the upper limit of a JC1 has an amphibious capacity that a CVF operating with 40 aircraft including a squadron of F35B (side note, can someone explain why people call it a 'Dave B'?) couldn't achieve in terms of dedicated helo aircraft and Royal Marine capacity, far less if - God forbid - 2 squadrons are deployed.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just been reading a bit more of Scram!, VERY interesting paragraph of the sole Chinook to operate during the Falklands War

Back at Goose Green, Brigadier Wilson commanded Bravo November [callsign of the Chinook survivor], cramming the helicopter far above capacity with eighty-one heavily armed Paras, the Chinook set off at low level across the open terrain to land the troops at Fitzroy, following up with a further load of seventy four Paras
Considering Wiki puts capacity at "33 - 55", that's some seriously heavy troop movement going on right there considering a standard UK light infantry company is ~100? Kinda makes you think just how much supplies or troops 4 of those pups on a CVF could do when landing troops ashore.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just been reading a bit more of Scram!, VERY interesting paragraph of the sole Chinook to operate during the Falklands War

Considering Wiki puts capacity at "33 - 55", that's some seriously heavy troop movement going on right there considering a standard UK light infantry company is ~100? Kinda makes you think just how much supplies or troops 4 of those pups on a CVF could do when landing troops ashore.
I'm no expert but I doubt you would have a chook lifting that load in the tropics or at altitude.
I would suggest that the quoted max 55 is NOT so for all conditions.

Last edited:

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously not, the effects of the 'hot and high' we hear about in regards to how it troubled the Harrier + Lynx (I believe the Lynx was one that was pegged as not enjoying the environment anyway) for the UK are very widely told so intuitively you'd expect that same with Chinook in some form or another, although you don't really hear about it - in fact I don't recall any stories off the top of my head - the same as you do for the Harrier.

Most probably, but I can only base my opinions on open source material considering i've not got any connections for that type of thing. It's naturally going to be highly subjective, the US Army for example lists 'troop capacity' as 33, I can only go on what i'm given.

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Russians had some bad experiences in overloading helicopters. When they loaded 127 into a Mi 26. You may not want to load up your heli every time to absolute max, because your inviting accidents and being an extra slow moving target that is less able to handle bad weather/conditions etc. I think after the russians had that problem, most avoid overloading heli's by that much.

Would like to see the RN using JC1. Could be lots of common training between the Spanish, RN and Australia as JC1 operators.

To be honest, the CVF with suitable heli's will offer considerable amphibious capability. Perhaps so much there may not be a seen need to replace the LPD's with anything.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the catch, overloading helos makes any potential disaster that bit worse due to more casualties. IIRC it's not too good for the engines either loading it past max capacity.

That's my issue with it, if we take a sustained TAG of ~40 aircraft, take away 16 (12 JSF + 4 AEW Merlin) and you've got 24 spots, which is loads i'll grant you that. But considering the other types of helo they plan on operating on a CVF (ASW Merlin, Junglie Merlin, Apache, Chinook), you're either gunna operate a relatively small number of each type or not use a particular aircraft.

That's a grand capacity, 24 slots dedicated pretty much towards amphibious operations. More than Ocean can currently provide. But the bit I don't like is that it means there's pretty much zero chance of ever operating 2 squadrons (24 JSF) as that'd leave ~12 slots I wouldn't like to make that call as to which helos I take along. I know 3 squadrons is extremely remote under the best circumstances, but i'd like to think that if the RN felt they needed 2 squadrons they could have them without hobbling their amphibious capacity.

In terms of not replacing an LPD, the Albion class have zero aviation capacity anyway. I think they're cleared for operating 2 x Chinooks simultaneously but that's about it as they don't have a hanger. They provide 4 x LCVP Mk5 - some say this is enough to deploy an infantry company ashore in one wave - and 4 x LCU Mk10, these puppies can carry a CR2. That's a pretty nice capacity to have and when Ocean is gone they're the only RN ships I can think of which will have any sort of landing craft capability. Most likely scenario post 2030 is 1 for 1 LPD replacement but my personal preference is 1 for 1 replacement with LHDs, meaning there's more likelyhood of deploying greater numbers of F35B on CVF whilst keeping that rotary capacity alive.

Pipe dreams and all that, I know. But it's something i'd REALLY like to see happen, but only when the LPDs need replacing and not before.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'm no expert but I doubt you would have a chook lifting that load in the tropics or at altitude.
I would suggest that the quoted max 55 is NOT so for all conditions.
Although not really fully tropic, in the 80,s we loaded a cook with 2 platoons, fully equipe with packs. Seats folded up, seated on the floor, on your pack, there was no room at all. That was close to 60 pax give or take a few, so loaded with 80 paras, I'm guessing, some were sitting on laps!
I DONT think weight of the personel would be the poblem, just the space, IRC there are 30 seats.

Strangelove

The new carriers will be great - both of them I hope. Lusty is already scheduled for scrap, but I hope we may keep Ocean for its full useful lifetime, in order to give us a third flat top (of sorts). It would also make sense to keep the present arrangement of one (Albion/Bulwark) LPD on ops and one at extended readiness.

Considering how valuable a carrier is to any Navy it seems only logical to have some form of Royal Marine minimal defence force and I understand the Type 45 has enough room for around 60 royal marines so I guess that is the case with the carrier.

A carrier has a HUGE deck and they are huge ships. Even taking into consideration all the aircraft and their crews I can imagine there is alot of spare space to fill. Does this mean the Queen Elizabeth class will have a reasonably large amount of soldiers? I have an image in my head of a deck full of troop transport helicopters with marines getting on!

Will they have an amphibious capability? How limited is it? Could it be improved? Should they have it?

Thoughts.