PAK-FA Cancelled???

Scorpion82

A few things. F-15 Eagle just to let you know the Russian Army has said it will not procure the Su-35M. Instead there is a chance that technology from it will go into an SM2 upgrade for the Flanker fleet.
There is no Su-35M, only Su-35 sometimes also refered to as Su-35BM but this is no real official designation. And BTW Su-35 = Su-27SM2. The SM2 is a customized version for the RuAF however, while the 35 is the export version.

Finally the currently existing MiG-35 and Tu-160 incorporate LO technology. While they're not fully stealth, they certainly do give some experience in the area (not to mention the dozens of prototype 5th gen. projects).
This "dozens" 5th gen prototypes I want to see! :rolleyes:

f-22fan12

Well underestimate as long as you want but I will say this.

F-22 is designed as airsuperiority fighter... F-35 is designed as strike fighter and thats two different conceptions. F-35 must unite A-10/F-16/18 etc under one platform and is heavily optimized for such cause and build in three different variants ...

You claim same manufacture produces them is as same as I said Mig-29 and Mig-25 are same because because of same Mig corporation while one being interceptor and another air-superiority .. bla bla

Sure Russian budget is 1/10 of the US but at the same time Russians spendmutch less money to deploy same stuff so .... money is of no object of them cozz specially R&D are having enough money to developt what they want ..
The R&D for Russia's current fighters was paid for back in the Soviet Union. The entire Su-27 family wan't developed by Russia. I need to see Russia develop a NEW fighter jet, like PAK-FA to believe the can spend their money and get big results

Viktor

The R&D for Russia's current fighters was paid for back in the Soviet Union. The entire Su-27 family wan't developed by Russia. I need to see Russia develop a NEW fighter jet, like PAK-FA to believe the can spend their money and get big results

Well they developt lots of new and deadly systems so far with their small defence budget (witch was about 4Bin in 2000) so I have no reason to doubt... there is no reason for you to compare Russian companies spending with US ..

Viktor

A few things. F-15 Eagle just to let you know the Russian Army has said it will not procure the Su-35M. Instead there is a chance that technology from it will go into an SM2 upgrade for the Flanker fleet.

To others, don't forget Russia has gained access to the F-117 technology when the Serbians shot one down in the 90's.

Finally the currently existing MiG-35 and Tu-160 incorporate LO technology. While they're not fully stealth, they certainly do give some experience in the area (not to mention the dozens of prototype 5th gen. projects).
Su-27SM2 is RUAF version of Su-35BM or Su-35-1 as its now called. Russia will buy Su-27SM2 .. some say even as mutch as 200 but will see.

Su-27SM2 will have at least 10% better perfomances than export Su-35-1.

RUAF Su-27 is now passing modernization to Su-27SM whitch is said to be batter than Indian Su-30MKI by some Russian colonel.

(By 2020 all Russian fighters should pass modernization)

F-15 Eagle

To others, don't forget Russia has gained access to the F-117 technology when the Serbians shot one down in the 90's.

I was reading an article that they will buy some SU-35BMs by 2011. Though I don't know how many, probably not much.

They may have some stealth tech from that blown up F-117 but today the U.S. has the F-22 and the F-35 which are far more advanced then the F-117 was.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no Su-35M, only Su-35 sometimes also refered to as Su-35BM but this is no real official designation. And BTW Su-35 = Su-27SM2. The SM2 is a customized version for the RuAF however, while the 35 is the export version.
The original Su-35 is the one produced during the 90's, originally known as the Su-27M. Several of them are in service with the 968 IISAP based in Lipetsk in the Moscow MD. The new Su-35BM is indeed the "BM". I was confused because ARMS-TASS referred to it as the Su-35M.

http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-35/su-35.htm
http://www.scramble.nl/ru.htm

Yes mate, show us all some photographs, no airbrushed concepts please.
Dozens was an exaggeration, but when we count them all up we have: Su-47 Berkut, MiG 1.44, Yak-MFI entry, S-32 (a modification of which became the S-37/Su-47 Berkut), the Yak LFI entry Yak-43, MiG izdeje 33, Yak's LFS entry, S-52 (Sukhoi LFS entry), S-55, S-56, MiG I-2000. Not all of these reached the flight testing stage, but they certainly all offered large amounts of experience in the design area.

I was reading an article that they will buy some SU-35BMs by 2011. Though I don't know how many, probably not much.
Please link to the article. I would appreciate very much to see the source.

Scorpion82

The original Su-35 is the one produced during the 90's, originally known as the Su-27M. Several of them are in service with the 968 IISAP based in Lipetsk in the Moscow MD. The new Su-35BM is indeed the "BM". I was confused because ARMS-TASS referred to it as the Su-35M.

Please link to the article. I would appreciate very much to see the source.
Check this thread:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7424

BTW the Su-27M isn't in service, it was just evaluated by the RuAF. The 5 examples being used for that are now used by the Russian Knights aerobatics team. Su-35 was the export designation for the Su-27M used since 1992. As the type never entered operational service any further development and marketing of the type was rejected and the designation become available for new types hence the T-10BM/Su-27SM2.

Chrom

Check this thread:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7424

BTW the Su-27M isn't in service, it was just evaluated by the RuAF. The 5 examples being used for that are now used by the Russian Knights aerobatics team. Su-35 was the export designation for the Su-27M used since 1992. As the type never entered operational service any further development and marketing of the type was rejected and the designation become available for new types hence the T-10BM/Su-27SM2.
You should just know the very special meaning of russian army "in service". "accepted in service" just means particular hardware successfully completed state trial tests and is clear for army purchase. It doesnt mean what army will indeed buy it or even ever intended to buy it.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Strange. The article claims it will start deliveries of Su-35 (I'm assuming it means new ones). But from what I know (I may be wrong) the SM2 upgrade is meant to be applied to the current fleet of Flankers.

EDIT: Will the Su-35BM be carrying AESA?

Viktor

Strange. The article claims it will start deliveries of Su-35 (I'm assuming it means new ones). But from what I know (I may be wrong) the SM2 upgrade is meant to be applied to the current fleet of Flankers.

EDIT: Will the Su-35BM be carrying AESA?
Nope SM2 is not modernization ... its Su-35BM (but for RuAF) = Su-27SM2.

RuAF will order certain amount of Su-27SM2 witch will have better carateristic than export version Su-35BM.

-> Su-27SM2 will have Irbis N035 radar at first witch will eventualy be replaced with AESA radar that is in development.