PAF to get ERIEYE/AEW/AWACS from Sweden

P.A.F

the first paragraph was nicely said adsh. indias phalcos are more likely to go down to the PAF before pakistans saabs go down, but i dought that all 7 will be shot down. so we have a good advantage.

srirangan

Banned Member
indias phalcos are more likely to go down to the PAF before pakistans saabs go down, but i dought that all 7 will be shot down.
Crap. PHALCON's can jam the ERIEYE's much before the later even knows what hit'em. This was one of he reasons why IAF didn't want the ERIEYE's.

Another reason was that ERIEYE's are AEW's and not AWAC's. They don't got a Control system on board. So how it works is the planes gather data, send data to a ground base and ground base does the processing. In PHALCON's the processing is done on-board. Which mean's no ground bases for control is necessary.

Ground bases aren't mobile so they're easier to target. Yet another reason why the IAF picked the PHALCON's. In short no advantage with the 7 planes hovering cuz if the 1 ground base is taken out then you're left with nothing.

I'm not trying to be patriotic here, hi-tech is my specialization and all I stated are engineering facts which anyone with credible knowledge can confirm. Ask Gf-Aust, he knows the most around here ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm staying out of the India-Pakistan argument here.

At a technical level, the Phalcon is the far superior platform at the autonomous level.

Does India have the 400km KS-172 Anti-AWACS missile in service?? If so, then the Eyrieye would be hit before it could identify the shooter.

srirangan

Banned Member
Just to clarify, my post was a technical post, not an anti-Pakistan motivated post.

Admin: Yes I know that, but I just wanted everyone to know my stance as well. ;) gf

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
I dont think wehave a single chance to shoot dow the Phalcon. And eve if we do it wont hammer the indian radar network as badly as we hope. the other AWACs would be perfectly capable of plugging the hole. I think india should have 5-7 Phaclons by 2010 if there going to get three now with further batches later.

PS the only possible scenarios ive read abt of a phalcon etting shot down is either on a surveillance mission close to the border by an FT-2000 or by a lucky hit from a pakistani fighter. Doesnt really sound credible to me. ;)

darklegent

I guess the best that the erieye wud do in a Pak - India senario wud be more of denial to the Phalcons. I do agree to the Isreali platform being more capapble but the Swedish system was built as a underdog and was designed to deny the advantage the then soviet Awacs wud have had.
The Pakistanis may be tryin to get something of the same advantage as the Sweds were tryin. But then again the land mass depth of Pakistan wud actually hinder the check-mate this system was built for. Man this is really confusing.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
This reminds me of the chess game arms race in the middle east back in the days of the soviet union. The israelis get the F-16 and F-15, the arabs get the Mig-23 and Mig-25. The israelis get the E-2c the arabs get the Sa-5, the israelis get precison munitions and anti radiation missiles, the arabs get their own. Its the same here in the sub continent too.

umair

Peace Enforcer
Ahem if you look at the specs of the ERIEYE, u'll notice that with each new customer, the version provided has become better and better than the original Swedish ERIEYE.
BTW Siri AEW and AEW&C is the same basic thing.Give an AEW aircraft a sufficient number of operators and it becoms an AEW&C.
Take a look at the size of the Saab200.It has aproximately as much capacity as the Orion AEW&C variant.A larger number of operators can be accomodated and therefore the PAF's ERIEYE will be a bonafide AEW&C platform with no real need to downlink it's data to GCI stations.

adsH

srirangan said:
indias phalcos are more likely to go down to the PAF before pakistans saabs go down, but i dought that all 7 will be shot down.
Crap. PHALCON's can jam the ERIEYE's much before the later even knows what hit'em. This was one of he reasons why IAF didn't want the ERIEYE's.

Another reason was that ERIEYE's are AEW's and not AWAC's. They don't got a Control system on board. So how it works is the planes gather data, send data to a ground base and ground base does the processing. In PHALCON's the processing is done on-board. Which mean's no ground bases for control is necessary.

Ground bases aren't mobile so they're easier to target. Yet another reason why the IAF picked the PHALCON's. In short no advantage with the 7 planes hovering cuz if the 1 ground base is taken out then you're left with nothing.

I'm not trying to be patriotic here, hi-tech is my specialization and all I stated are engineering facts which anyone with credible knowledge can confirm. Ask Gf-Aust, he knows the most around here ;)
"Phalcons can jamm another sophisticated AEW&C Asset", there is no factual evidence available for this assumption. that would mean that all other client of this systems Eyrie are idiot's in accepting substandard systems.

Its naive to assume that falcons could be used as a stand alone solution every air asset has to be integrated into ground centralized CC centers. these falcons provide sophisticated surveillance and Communication for a complete battle feild situation awareness in real time. the Ground CC areas are heavily shielded and its stupid to assume that a well established Armed forces would allow its CC ground bases to be taken out that easily and that it would not have a secondary if not several backups inplace.

the Swedish AEW&C has controll capability hence the term control, if it did not have that capability it would be termed a surveillance AC. the 7 swede AEW&C have processing capability but they are designed for an integrated air defense, it's apart of a solution. the Swedish AEW&C is a well respected system for a reason.

srirangan

Banned Member
umair,
I am 100% certain that Erieye's require ground bases for processing and control.

SABRE,
China does have some cloned AWACs; none as good as the PHALCONS, which is why CHina was pursuing buying the PHALCON's from Israel but USA banned the sale of the PHALCONs to China.

umair

Peace Enforcer
If you had read my post correctly, :roll
Sweden's ERIEYE use a platform with only 3 operators.The SAAB2000 can carry upto 9 operators.The AEW&C variant of the Otrion also carries the same number.It's just due to the small number of operarors that Swedens ERIEYEs have to downlink their data to GCI stations.Kapeesh.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
srirangan said:
umair,
I am 100% certain that Erieye's require ground bases for processing and control.

SABRE,
China does have some cloned AWACs; none as good as the PHALCONS, which is why CHina was pursuing buying the PHALCON's from Israel but USA banned the sale of the PHALCONs to China.

Hmmm what do u mean by cloned AWACS.

Some how China is going to make a big break through with this technolgy. Just let SAAB AWACS land on Pakistani soil. (Take it as a Joke...Sweden would have already put it in the contract that PAkistan does not share the technology with any country including China and specially NK)

darklegent

(Take it as a Joke...Sweden would have already put it in the contract that PAkistan does not share the technology with any country including China and specially NK)
The American denial to hardware does partially arise due to the same reason. Pakistan has given China access to American technology in the past. These fears are expected from the Swedes and if the technology were to be transfered then there wud be Swedish personal stationed in Pakistan to garantee safety to the technology. Something of the same kind was followed in India when Western & Soviet hardware was used. I do not have the link to that Url but i guess it was something in the Bharat Rakskah site...... I guess :?

srirangan

Banned Member
China is going to make a big break through with this technolgy. Just let SAAB AWACS land on Pakistani soil.
Exactly why the west is apprehensive about selling stuff to Pakistan. If you want quality equipments in the future, you mustn't breach trust or contracts.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
darklegent said:
(Take it as a Joke...Sweden would have already put it in the contract that PAkistan does not share the technology with any country including China and specially NK)
The American denial to hardware does partially arise due to the same reason. Pakistan has given China access to American technology in the past. These fears are expected from the Swedes and if the technology were to be transfered then there wud be Swedish personal stationed in Pakistan to garantee safety to the technology. Something of the same kind was followed in India when Western & Soviet hardware was used. I do not have the link to that Url but i guess it was something in the Bharat Rakskah site...... I guess :?
There are always personal watching over u. There were USAF Personal in Pakistan in 1960's making sure PAF doesnt land its Sabre and F-104 on Chinese soil.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
srirangan said:
China is going to make a big break through with this technolgy. Just let SAAB AWACS land on Pakistani soil.
Exactly why the west is apprehensive about selling stuff to Pakistan. If you want quality equipments in the future, you mustn't breach trust or contracts.
Funny you should say that. I mean the americans didnt cry unfair when the rgyptians turned over their entire airforce to them. Israel has conducted more profilteration with western technology than pakistan but it still gets the F-16 I. Its all a game of politics. Win it or lose it. Pakistan needs china IN THIS CASE more than it needs america the same way the americans now want india more than pakistan.

srirangan

Banned Member
Well the west have double standards. I agree. But they won't like their own game of double standards been played against them. Sorry, Pak won't get the western fighters.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
:cop

Come on guys, settle down. I go away for 2 days and come back to see you at each other again.

I'm trying not to delete threads to let the topic "breathe", but you're not helping things.