Noise levels of fighter jets.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They did that before radar, actually.
Yes, in the UK during WW11, the English built concrete "shells" or dishes facing the English channel to pick up engine noise of approaching bombers. i think it gave them something like 5mins early warning,before the aircraft were sighted. better than nothing!

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Enjoy!

Here is a really cool video of the B-1B doing a Flyby in Afghanistan. The B-1B is considered the loudest aircraft in U.S. Military service.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0-Ate1eohE&feature=related"]YouTube - B1 flyby Afghanistan[/ame]

Here is another with a F-16 and this is really cool as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvcy2LXaYek"]YouTube - F16 fly by[/ame]

And here is one with 4 F-16s taking off with full AB for a training mission.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UXU2jt5nEo"]YouTube - F-16 Take-Off with full afterburner[/ame]

nevidimka

I have an interesting question.

Like some1 said.. in the cockpit surely the pilot can hear the noise of the jet engines although its not as loud as being outside. But once the jetfighter goes past Mach 1 when it leaves the sound behind.. does it go suddenly quiet for the pilots inside?

And this question I read some1 ask b4.. not sure where n not sure what the answer was. Once the jetfighter goes supersonic.. can a pilot hear his co pilot as he is travelling faster than sound? LOL..

F-15 Eagle

Like some1 said.. in the cockpit surely the pilot can hear the noise of the jet engines although its not as loud as being outside. But once the jetfighter goes past Mach 1 when it leaves the sound behind.. does it go suddenly quiet for the pilots inside?

And this question I read some1 ask b4.. not sure where n not sure what the answer was. Once the jetfighter goes supersonic.. can a pilot hear his co pilot as he is travelling faster than sound? LOL..
I honestly don't know. I've never even thought about that before. It is an interesting question though.

Grand Danois

Entertainer

It doesn't leave sound behind in that sense; the jet moves faster than the shockwave/sound from the movement through the air can propagate through the medium (atmosphere/air).

Though air inside the cockpit does travel faster than sound, this is relative to the air outside the jet. Inside, and relative to the pilot, the air doesn't move as it travels with the pilot. So, yes.

That's my 0.02€ with my limited knowledge of physics.

nevidimka

Your 1st explanation , I dont understand. Why I came up with this is because I remember watching a tv miniseries on the Canadian Avro's Arrow. In 1 of its 1st test flight, when the jet makes it supersonic.. it suddenly goes quiet.. n when the co pilot asks, the pilot said that they have just went past the speed of sound.

Thingking about it, the noise of the jet engines shouldnt be heard by the pilot, coz he is traveling faster away from the source b4 the sound form that source can reach his ear.

On the second question.. ok.

But it would be nice if we can get a confirmation from a jetfighter pilot, preferable 1 who flies in a twin seater.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Your 1st explanation , I dont understand. Why I came up with this is because I remember watching a tv miniseries on the Canadian Avro's Arrow. In 1 of its 1st test flight, when the jet makes it supersonic.. it suddenly goes quiet.. n when the co pilot asks, the pilot said that they have just went past the speed of sound.

Thingking about it, the noise of the jet engines shouldnt be heard by the pilot, coz he is traveling faster away from the source b4 the sound form that source can reach his ear.
I was perhaps a bit unclear - yes, it should get quieter as the jet moves faster than most of the noise it generates. Vibrations and such from the airframe could propagate to the cockpit, though.

But as you say, it would be nice if a pilot or like would comment.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I was perhaps a bit unclear - yes, it should get quieter as the jet moves faster than most of the noise it generates. Vibrations and such from the airframe could propagate to the cockpit, though.

But as you say, it would be nice if a pilot or like would comment.
I suppose we could also query the thousands of folks that travelled on the Concorde.

jaffo4011

i take it all back about the tornado being loud....i went to the raf cosford airshow last weekend and the typhoon almost made my ears bleed....absolutely fantastic...love to compare this to the sound of the bae lightening in its day!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JScbO_tMnpw"]YouTube - Typhoon Take-off, RIAT 2007[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vjQe92-w_I[/ame]

Last edited:

F-15 Eagle

Perhaps this could help.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvGSN0qPvQM&feature=related"]YouTube - F16 Take Off[/ame]

nevidimka

Interesting, but I do not think this help in my question as the planes didnt go past Mach 1.

But a good video nonetheless n thanks.

F-15 Eagle

Does anyone know what is louder the F-15 or F-16? Are they the same in noise levels or is one louder than the other?

F-15 Eagle

According to http://www-nehc.med.navy.mil/downloa...Protection.ppt here is the sound levels of the following. Thanks energo this really helps.;)

EA-6B 148 dB
F-14 153 dB
F-16 150 dB
F-18F 150 dB
F-15C 149 dB
F-35 152 dB

So they all make about the same noise but the F-16/F-18 is louder than the F-15, but the F-14 and F-35 are both louder than everything else.

What about the F-22, what dB does it produce?

SlyDog

Two aircraft placed closed to each other should have a sound level at 6 dB more..156 dB.

"dB-scale" are logarithmic scale - not linear.

300 dB is not possible to achieve. A-bomb blast with an est level at 190-200dB.

F-15 Eagle

Two aircraft placed closed to each other should have a sound level at 6 dB more..156 dB.

"dB-scale" are logarithmic scale - not linear.

300 dB is not possible to achieve. A-bomb blast with an est level at 190-200dB.
To the normal human ear 6 dB is not that big of a difference. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between 150 dB and 156 dB or anyone else.

I bet a nuclear bomb could create 300 db.......

Chrom

To the normal human ear 6 dB is not that big of a difference. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between 150 dB and 156 dB or anyone else.

I bet a nuclear bomb could create 300 db.......
No, it is wrong. Normal human ear possible cant hear 6dB, but 6 dB DIFFERENCE is very easy to notice. Remember, 6 dB difference is ~2 times stronger sound. I'll bet everyone can hear that...