New Cold War Arm's Race??

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-15 Eagle

Year 2007 - Russia spend about 2.9% of its GDP for defence purposes. USA - formally about 3.7%, but real % is much higher (about 6.5%) as it doesnt include Iraq, Afganistan and foreign special forces (CIA, etc) funding. France - about 2.6%, but here i cant comment as i dont know exact funding allocation.

P.S. China spend less than 2%.
I thought the U.S. spends 4.4% of GDP of defense from what I saw from the 2008 defense budget. But it could be 3.7%, but in my opinion I think the U.S. should spend at least 6% on defense and the same goes for Russia. Germany should spend 5% up from 1.5-1.6% they do now.

swerve

Super Moderator
Year 2007 - Russia spend about 2.9% of its GDP for defence purposes. USA - formally about 3.7%, but real % is much higher (about 6.5%) as it doesnt include Iraq, Afganistan and foreign special forces (CIA, etc) funding. France - about 2.6%, but here i cant comment as i dont know exact funding allocation.

Interesting accounting methods you use. You take the official published budgets for Russia & China, ignoring the fact that (as with some other countries, e.g. Italy) the defence budgets don't include anywhere near all the military spending, & compare that with an estimate of US military spending, including the highest possible (& I reckon, in some cases impossible) figures for off-budget & supplementary spending. Why not use the same methodology for everyone?

Allowing for the highest credible estimate of CIA & other covert spending, adding all the supplementary expenditure for Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, you can't push US spending over about 4.5% of GDP, & it's probably less. The lowest estimates of Chinese off-budget spending are about 30-40% on top of the official budget, & most are much higher. Estimates of share of GDP including off-budget spending range from 2% up to 4.5%, with 2.5-3% seeming to be the most widely accepted.

French spending was 2.6% a few years ago, but is now about 2.1% (about the same as British) & dropping.

swerve

Super Moderator
I thought the U.S. spends 4.4% of GDP of defense from what I saw from the 2008 defense budget. But it could be 3.7%, but in my opinion I think the U.S. should spend at least 6% on defense and the same goes for Russia. Germany should spend 5% up from 1.5-1.6% they do now.
Why? What would all that be spent on? And BTW, Germany is spending less than 1.5% now. Maybe 1.3%.

F-15 Eagle

F-15 Eagle - Do you see the Russians as a force of stability?

Can the EU deal with the Russians? In your opion?
I don't know what you mean by a force of stability, but on the EU topic they do have powerful military's but they will need the help of the U.S. if the worst should happen.

F-15 Eagle

Why? What would all that be spent on? And BTW, Germany is spending less than 1.5% now. Maybe 1.3%.
Well I think it should be spent on weapons to replace the ones being worn out in Iraq and Afganistain. Such as planes, ships, guns, tanks and APC's, aircraft and other military equipment.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Chrom please.

This is Defence Talk, the Premier defence forum on the web. Everyone here is more than intelligent enough to know that percentile is rubbish.

Come on, get a grip.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting opinion from somebody who lives in a country without armed forces... ;)

I am for sure not willing to throw away billions of € for our armed forces while our social system goes down the toilet and our public buildings, schools and streets fall apart. And all this just for the feeling of having some shiny toys standing around in the backyard.

Do you know how much 5% of GDP would mean for Germany?
We would spent roughly 143.000.000.000 € on defense.

You should think about how many important things could be bought and paid for with this amount of money... :rolleyes:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Do you know how much 5% of GDP would mean for Germany?
We would spent roughly 143.000.000.000 € on defense.
More like €120 billion. Not that it matters much, considering we're talking around half the German government budget either way.

Overall German "Security" expenses (BM Vg, BM I, BM J) currently account for €33.3 billion if you're wondering. "Social" expenses (BM AS, BM ELW, BM FSJ, BM G) account for €135.5 billion, in case you're wondering.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
More like €120 billion. Not that it matters much, considering we're talking around half the German government budget either way.
I just took our GDP (oer) from CIA World Factbook and calculated 5% of it.

And than I forgot that this GDP is $ and not €... :eek:
I'm more carefull next time.

Overall German "Security" expenses (BM Vg, BM I, BM J) currently account for €33.3 billion if you're wondering. "Social" expenses (BM AS, BM ELW, BM FSJ, BM G) account for €135.5 billion, in case you're wondering.
And exactly because of these figures, I am roughly aware, I cannot imagine what benefits we would get from a defense budget of 5% of GDP or something that comes even close to this.

Growing to nearly 2% would be IMHO ok if Germany really wants to take internation responsibility but this should also come with solving the homemade problems of the Bundeswehr which are already sucking up enough much needed money.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
For example, read what western media write about russian oil/gas plans. Read what West do to limit Russian or Chinese influence in the world. Read how worried USA about Chinies military and economical growth. How they use any possible excuse about humans rights to impose economical and politcal sanctions agains China - of course, only if it benefits USA economic/politic and only if they feel what China/Russia cant answer.
Look at new ABM.

Note, i dont say West is wrong here. I dont say USA or EU or whoever else should care about russian or chinese interests. They shouldnt. They never cared. But they also shouldnt expect China, Russia or India to care about USA interests if it hurts them.

West shouldnt declare its own very private interests as universal "greater good". This only lead to misunderstanding and unnessessary tensions.
Yes Chrom - the big bad evil Americans are at fault for causing all of the worlds woes, we are out to get Russia and China and build a big barrier around the both of them.:rolleyes: How many American companies are in Russia and China and helping out your economies, the company that I represent alone has over 9 industrial facilities in both countries and we plan on adding more. Everytime a thread like this opens up I have to read this type of Anti American bashing crap from you and a few others on this forum and most of it is nothing more than pure propaganda BS!

Chrom

Yes Chrom - the big bad evil Americans are at fault for causing all of the worlds woes, we are out to get Russia and China and build a big barrier around the both of them.:rolleyes: How many American companies are in Russia and China and helping out your economies, the company that I represent alone has over 9 industrial facilities in both countries and we plan on adding more. Everytime a thread like this opens up I have to read this type of Anti American bashing crap from you and a few others on this forum and most of it is nothing more than pure propaganda BS!
You must differenciate between official politic and private bussiness interests. THERE ARE , of course, areas where USA and Russia have mutual economical and even political interests. This doesnt meant at all what USA somehow cares about Russia interests - no, of course not.

You just must understand - i'm all for cooperation between EU, US, Russia, China, etc. The more the better. But i dont understand WHY Russia or China should respect USA interests when USA do not answer the same.

P.S. Somehow, you seems to think what having common bussiness with Russia should prove what USA respect russian interests and is a very good thing for Russia overall. Well, i will not dispute that - just one question.
WHY USA and EU strongly LIMIT acquisitions of western firms by russian ones? You know, GASPROM or steel ones? These are only most known examples - but really, such situation is in every field.

Why GASPROM even want such acquisitions ? Becouse it so much love EU and want somehow please EU citizens?

Answer is simple - becouse GASPROM want money. And they think they can get them by aquiring EU firms and penetrating to EU market.

I'm pretty sure you build these industrial facilities not becouse you so much love russians - but rather becouse you want to make money with them. Nothing wrong here - but do not represent it as a big favor to russians please. The benefits are mutual.

Last edited:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You must differenciate between official politic and private bussiness interests. THERE ARE , of course, areas where USA and Russia have mutual economical and even political interests. This doesnt meant at all what USA somehow cares about Russia interests - no, of course not.

You just must understand - i'm all for cooperation between EU, US, Russia, China, etc. The more the better. But i dont understand WHY Russia or China should respect USA interests when USA do not answer the same.

P.S. Somehow, you seems to think what having common bussiness with Russia should prove what USA respect russian interests and is a very good thing for Russia overall. Well, i will not dispute that - just one question.
WHY USA and EU strongly LIMIT acquisitions of western firms by russian ones? You know, GASPROM or steel ones? These are only most known examples - but really, such situation is in every field.

Why GASPROM even want such acquisitions ? Becouse it so much love EU and want somehow please EU citizens?

Answer is simple - becouse GASPROM want money. And they think they can get them by aquiring EU firms and penetrating to EU market.

I'm pretty sure you build these industrial facilities not becouse you so much love russians - but rather becouse you want to make money with them. Nothing wrong here - but do not represent it as a big favor to russians please. The benefits are mutual.
Chrom - my company is one of the biggest manufacturers of aluminum products and smelters, we have our hands in automotive castings and defense products and just about everything else. Russia laid out the red carpet for us to go in and update these facilities with the latest technology and offer jobs in the joining communities. These were metal facilities that were in big financial trouble and we were able to go in and turn things around and offer good paying jobs, everyone gains from Putin to the average worker.

Why do you feel that the U.S doesn`t care for Russian interests?, what does Russia want so badly from us.

Vladimir80

Banned Member
Where?

A one line "answer"?

Where is your source Vladimir?

I'm here all day for it.

Keep jogging!!!!
PROC real GDP = 2.5 trillion (2006) CIA factbook
PROC Defence = 29 billion (2006) globalsecurity

That equals 1.16% of GDP spent on defence.

Keep jogging because you have nothing except cynical attitude with no proof. Moderators are more respectful than you have been to me. Maybe you don't like Russians... too bad.

Izzy1

Banned Member
PROC real GDP = 2.5 trillion (2006) CIA factbook
PROC Defence = 29 billion (2006) globalsecurity

That equals 1.16% of GDP spent on defence.

Keep jogging because you have nothing except cynical attitude with no proof. Moderators are more respectful than you have been to me. Maybe you don't like Russians... too bad.

Yes. Whatever. When are you Russians going to grow up and realise the world isn't against you?

Vladimir80

Banned Member
Yes. Whatever. When are you Russians going to grow up and realise the world isn't against you?
Maybe when you stop being disresepectful. I came to this board because I heard it had high reputation of professionalism and good discussion. I have tried to post sources despite the block of insufficient posts. You demand proof yet have provided nothing to counter my position. I am still waiting sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.