Navy Sets World Record With Incredible, Sci-Fi Weapon

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
In a conventional gun there are 2 components to the total recoil energy – the recoil generated by the projectile and the recoil generated by the propellant gasses. The recoil generated by the propellant gases if 60% to 80% of the total. Peak recoil is a function of the design of the guns recoil system, but is proportional to the recoil energy divided by the recoil distance.

So for a conventional gun with a muzzle energy for the projectile of 33MJ the total recoil energy that must be dissipated will be between 80MJ and 150MJ.
OK, say we accept that figure, why wouldn't the overall recoil of a rail gun with a similar muzzle energy be the same? According to newton's third law (wasn't it?) for every force there is an equal and opposite force (or something close to that), so if you send a projectile with a muzzle energy of 33MJ, using a railgun, a conventional gun and even a slingshot, the recoil energy would be the same wouldn't it (assuming no muzzle brakes etc)? The differences would be in the peak loadings or lack thereof.

My2Cents

OK, say we accept that figure, why wouldn't the overall recoil of a rail gun with a similar muzzle energy be the same? According to newton's third law (wasn't it?) for every force there is an equal and opposite force (or something close to that), so if you send a projectile with a muzzle energy of 33MJ, using a railgun, a conventional gun and even a slingshot, the recoil energy would be the same wouldn't it (assuming no muzzle brakes etc)?
Because a rail gun does not use a chemical propellant so there is no contribution to the recoil energy from the propellant mass being ejected from the gun barrel.

The slingshot is a little tricky, because you do get some recoil from the elastics when they snap forward, then a reverse recoil when they snap back a fraction of a second later. So the total recoil is technically only the projectile.

The differences would be in the peak loadings or lack thereof.
The peak loading is primarily a function of the recoil energy and the recoil distance. Double the recoil distance and you half the peak recoil (assuming that you are not using FOOB [Fire Out Of Battery] technology, etc.)

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They say they gonna mount it on a Destroyer platform. But honestly, i don't see how they're going to fit this into a turret of a destroyer. The power plant, the massive recoil and the cooling system will be very bulky. Instead of fitting this weapon on a ship, they might end up building a whole ship around this weapon.
Why does it need to be turret mounted? Before the AGS was selected for DDG-1000 one of the main competitors was a vertical launched gun system that did away with the turret all together.

My2Cents

Why does it need to be turret mounted? Before the AGS was selected for DDG-1000 one of the main competitors was a vertical launched gun system that did away with the turret all together.
The VGS [Vertical Gun System] can only function with smart rounds, because the guns cannot be aimed, you point the ship bow on to the target and shell does the rest. Because the elevation cannot be adjusted it has a minimum range of around 40km, and is therefore worthless for surface warfare or AAA.

As a dedicated fire support weapon it would have been superb. The arrangement (2 side-by-side barrels mounted with the breaches just above the keel) and long recoil combined a fire-out-of-battery design allows it to be mounted in smaller hulls than a turreted weapon. The automatic loader, while mechanically extremely simple (and therefore reliable), can maintain a high rate of fire from a ready magazine that could exceed 200 rounds before need for human intervention to transfer additional shells from the auxiliary magazines.

Most likely reason for abandoning the concept was because it could have eliminated the justification for the large hull DDX program.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Because a rail gun does not use a chemical propellant so there is no contribution to the recoil energy from the propellant mass being ejected from the gun barrel.

The slingshot is a little tricky, because you do get some recoil from the elastics when they snap forward, then a reverse recoil when they snap back a fraction of a second later. So the total recoil is technically only the projectile.

The peak loading is primarily a function of the recoil energy and the recoil distance. Double the recoil distance and you half the peak recoil (assuming that you are not using FOOB [Fire Out Of Battery] technology, etc.)
OK, thanks for that clarification - makes sense. Secondary recoil (of the burning propellant) is the additional component.

For those wishing to read more (I did) - this helped: The Physics of Everyday Stuff - Gun Recoil

Sampanviking

Banned Member
It sounds an incredible system and one which I am sure will not come cheap, either to build, use or maintain.

What would the USN be prepared to lose in order to have it?

rip

I forgot to mention add that they only have to store the projectiles for a rail gun, there is no propellant cartridges. This allows them to pack 3x as many in the same space.

AAA capability for rail guns will depend on the accuracy and slew rate of the rail gun and rate of fire, but they due to their higher velocity they will probably have several times the effective range with equal ammunition types as conventional cannon. The caviats are:

• It may not be easy to develop guided munitions like the Oto Melara DART round for a rail gun. This would favor conventional weapon is mid and large calibers where long range fire is important.

• A multi-barrel small bore rail gun combining a high rate of fire and extended range could revolutionize point defense.

How small can you make the projectiles and still withstand the forces they would encounter at launch and during flight. The question is important if these kinds of gun can be effectively used in the AA role. The second question for such a gun would be what would be the firing rate for the smallest caliber round that is practical.

elgatoso

I agree with you that the rail gun will be a great advance is weaponry and has many advantages that traditional guns do not have and we should pursue it. I guess I am just obsessing about in shore fire support for our ground troops. I keep remembering the Marines retreat from the Chosin Reservoir in Korea where they were surrounded and outnumbered at least five to one, they were only safe and could only be safely and orderly re-embark after the Marines came back within range of Naval big guns, something the US has much less of now than ever before. I know that air power can be effective in ground support missions but guns don’t care about bad weather.

do you think that this gun will have any AA capasity?
'Blitzer' railgun already 'tactically relevant', boasts maker • The Register
Kaboom! Blitzer Railgun Completes First Successful Test Firing | Popular Science
Google blitzer railgun

My2Cents

I do not know where you got "'Blitzer' railgun already 'tactically relevant', boasts maker" from that article. The closest I could find was “General Atomics conducted the test in association with the Office of Naval Research, and plans on continuing testing through next year, when they will finally start launching "tactically relevant aerodynamic rounds".

Presumably this means that they will be moving from firing simple aluminum slugs to a design with an aluminum discarding sabot, probably an APDS round. I do not think that they have a design for HE yet, there are a big problems having high explosives around mega-joule electric arcs.

elgatoso

I do not know where you got "'Blitzer' railgun already 'tactically relevant', boasts maker" from that article. The closest I could find was “General Atomics conducted the test in association with the Office of Naval Research, and plans on continuing testing through next year, when they will finally start launching "tactically relevant aerodynamic rounds".

Presumably this means that they will be moving from firing simple aluminum slugs to a design with an aluminum discarding sabot, probably an APDS round. I do not think that they have a design for HE yet, there are a big problems having high explosives around mega-joule electric arcs.
Thats is the link.Not my words

Last edited:
Rail guns are nice if you want to impress your local fan boys and deal with asymmetrical threats. But nothing as of today competes with the effectiveness of a long range precision guided missile.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rail guns are nice if you want to impress your local fan boys and deal with asymmetrical threats. But nothing as of today competes with the effectiveness of a long range precision guided missile.
Missile can be shot down. a tiny metal slug travelling at 7 times the speed of sound are a lot more difficult to intercept. also, missile are expensive. How can you justify using a million dolar missile to destroy a target that may worth 1/10 of the missile, or even far less. a metal slug on the other hand, are cheap. all the cost and complexities are on the launcher. hell, the round doesn't even need an explosive.

They talked about Expense, but we're the U.S., we can afford it!

There are also, LO and VLO cruise missiles in service/development. Some examples I can come up at the top of my head is the JASSM and the Kh-101.

Then there's the question of range. Is it justify to bombard a target from 400 km away when that just happens to be the range for many Anti-ship missle systems?

Finally, a large metal slug actually has a relatively large RCS.

skhan

what purpose is this rail gun going to serve exactly?

They say they gonna mount it on a Destroyer platform. But honestly, i don't see how they're going to fit this into a turret of a destroyer. The power plant, the massive recoil and the cooling system will be very bulky. Instead of fitting this weapon on a ship, they might end up building a whole ship around this weapon.
ok guys bare with me here...i tried to read a lot about this rail gun....i'm simply trying to figure out its main purpose....i understand the bullets fly real freakin fast to hit its target so its going to be better than a subsonic missile but then....its only a bullet ain't it....what is it going to shoot down little sea birds at the speed of mach 7 or some funny chinese frigate or fast moving coastal patrol boat.

Any other likely targets i feel could be some dumb iranian torpedo....please share your thoughts on this

My2Cents

ok guys bare with me here...i tried to read a lot about this rail gun....i'm simply trying to figure out its main purpose....i understand the bullets fly real freakin fast to hit its target so its going to be better than a subsonic missile but then....its only a bullet ain't it....what is it going to shoot down little sea birds at the speed of mach 7 or some funny chinese frigate or fast moving coastal patrol boat.
The proposals seem to center around coastal bombardment using GPS guided projectiles. The idea is that the rail gun will out range the opposing guns so the ship will be safe (Yes, we all know that the rail gun will be out ranged by anti-ship missiles, don’t belabor the point.) while having a faster response than missiles and not requiring aircraft or drones to penetrate air defenses.

Armoredpriapism

What are the implications for anti-submarine or counter-torpedo situations? Instead of using 33 MJ to send a rod 100 miles, could a heavier, thinner projectile be aimed directly into the sea and go 100 meters before it disintegrated? If we can mount a laser on a 747 why not put a rail gun on a 747 and point the plane down? Or would that blow up the plane? I could also envision a ship with a rail gun simply pointed down, though the design would look exotic.

My2Cents

What are the implications for anti-submarine or counter-torpedo situations? Instead of using 33 MJ to send a rod 100 miles, could a heavier, thinner projectile be aimed directly into the sea and go 100 meters before it disintegrated? If we can mount a laser on a 747 why not put a rail gun on a 747 and point the plane down? Or would that blow up the plane? I could also envision a ship with a rail gun simply pointed down, though the design would look exotic.
Well:
  1. At velocities a railgun uses there is little difference between water and an equal weight of steel armor. So if a long rod penetrator could, for example, go through 2 feet of steel armor it could penetrate only about 20 feet of water before being completely ablated away.
  2. Railguns have recoil, lasers don’t. The Navy design looks to have about as much recoil as an 8” gun and uses fire-out-of-battery and a long recoil stroke, so there is not much more you can do to decrease the peak forces. You might be able to build a custom aircraft around the gun that could survive more than a couple shots without falling apart, but you probably wouldn’t want to be on board when it was fired.
  3. You do not want to put a 747 (or any other commercial aircraft) in a vertical dive, you will probably rip the wings off. And it is very likely that it does not have the structural strength to mount dive brakes.
  4. How would you aim a downward pointed railgun on a ship? Firing a railgun with the muzzle underwater would be like firing a gun when the muzzle is packed with cement.
:lam