NATO in Afghanistan

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Once you have tracked the path of the projectile (which MANTIS does), all you need is a computer to calculate the source.

You'd presumably then send a KZO that way, which provides live targeting information and video for a possible PzH engagement.

Onkel

Once you have tracked the path of the projectile (which MANTIS does), all you need is a computer to calculate the source.

You'd presumably then send a KZO that way, which provides live targeting information and video for a possible PzH engagement.
:D Well, every modern AA System calculates the path of the incoming threat, but from where to where? To make it clear, good old Gepard calculates the place the plane will go (to shoot it down) but doesn´t care from where it startet. Mantis needs to know where the projectile goes from where it is tracked first, but not from where it was fired. Shure, it could be done, but I don´t know if it will be done. It takes more than a calculator, it takes also a routine for calculation. And it takes Mantis to output the calculated numbers. Will it put them out? I doubt it.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I would have thought that such a capability is a no brainer for a system which is intended to defend our bases against enemy mortar and rocket attacks.

Nevertheless I fully expect that the MoD didn't pay for it so it won't be included...

Onkel

I would have thought that such a capability is a no brainer for a system which is intended to defend our bases against enemy mortar and rocket attacks.

Nevertheless I fully expect that the MoD didn't pay for it so it won't be included...
It is absolutely no brainer, to culculate the ballistic curve is no wizadry (if you don´t include wind), but the guys working with Mantis will be part of the AA forces, not of the artillery. The System will work outonomously and fire automatically. But to send HaFlaFüSys Data to ADLER is to much Jointness for the coming years, though it would be the logical next step. Just keep in mind, the additional costs for the implementaion would have to be payed out of the AA budget.... :rolleyes:

Firn

@Waylander: Of course I expect that the Taliban react to the potential deployment of heavy arty - in war the other side votes too.

MANTIS could easily spew the calculated position fo the launcher on a digital map. Now we would just have to use a WWI baloon over any base with an experienced observer in the wicker basket to get a immediate report on the activities in the area indicated on his flatscreen. ;)

From his basket he can communicate instantly
with the infantryman in his advanced trench or to the general in
his office towards the rear. As soon as ever a German battery
opens fire he can get our batteries to answer back so rapidly
that in many cases the German soldiers have the impression
that they are continually being watched and as soon as they
become in the least aggressive they are sure to get a bad time.
We have learned from prisoners that the mere fact of the
balloon being in the air has often prevented batteries from
firing.

Observation Balloons
, LIEUTENANT CRIVELLI, FRENCH AIR SERVICE, 1918
Or in other words we could mount a light stabilized sight with high quality spotting optics and thermals under a compact lighter-then-aircraft connected to the base camp and get a rather interesting device. Note that it will displace UAV.
Of course, these figures must on no account be taken as an
unfavorable criticism of aviation work. On other occasions when
weather conditions were unfavorable for balloons most of the
work fell to the aeroplanes, but they will serve to show what
balloons can do, given fair conditions, and it is interesting to note
how much cheaper one balloon company with one balloon and
four observers is than one squadron with twelve planes and as
many observers.

Observation Balloons, LIEUTENANT CRIVELLI, FRENCH AIR SERVICE, 1918

Firn

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just keep in mind, the additional costs for the implementaion would have to be payed out of the AA budget.... :rolleyes:
Both MANTIS and such a possible software implementation routine would be paid out of the "Einsatzbedingter Sofortbedarf" budget, not the regular Bundeswehr budget. Just like about everything else for ISAF.

But to send HaFlaFüSys Data to ADLER is to much Jointness for the coming years, though it would be the logical next step.
Except both are already tied together via FüInfoSysH, which will be deployed with ISAF starting with the next rotation.

Palnatoke

Banned Member
Another problem is that one needs another verification that there are no civilians in the target area.

A counterfire radar alone only tells you the location of the firing position not if they may have launched the mortar right next to a wedding party.
That would be an legal engagement and I don't see the problem.

If you care about hearts and minds; Any damage done to the lurkewarm feelings of the locals, at least those that have a say, can be mended by paying the traditional "bloodmoney" . And if you don't believe in hearts and minds (I don't, for one) pay the bloodmoney anyway; out of respect of the local customs (and the pockets of those that have a say).

And if we don't like war, we should stop waging war, go home and leave Mr. Karzai alone with his heroine, that I hear he has developed a taste for.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I am the first one who puts his signature under the points you raised.

But we have to take our political reality into account. And every commander who calls in a strike by a platoon of PzHs with the only recon source being the fire finder Radar and then accidently hits a bunch of civvies is going to take a severe punishment.

Nevertheless there are already some impressing other surveillance capabilities present in our camps.

As so often it is a lack of political will that keeps us from winning this struggle. A lack of will by some countries to do what is militarily needed and a lack of will in all countries to invest an even bigger amount of other ressources into Afghanistan.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ok, our secretary of defense, Karl Theodor zu Guttenberg, just visited our troops in Afghanistan and announced that 2 PzH2000s as well as additional Marder A5 IFVs and additional missiles of some kind are going to get deployed the Kunduz area.

Probably they mean additional MILAN systems but as usual the media has no clue so one couldn't really understand about what kind of missile they were talking about.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I haven't read any other news so I just speculated about it being Milan as it is already in use on the Marder and Fuchs.

On which platform do they want to deploy TOWs?
Bring back the Wiesel? Or maybe just on Wolf and tripod?

Either way it is a little bit mysterious. I would have thought that Milan is sufficient. I wonder if they want it because of the range or because of the warhead.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, may be a possibility.

The TI and range may come in handy not only to dug out well hidden enemies but also for general surveillance.

Edit: A f*** we lost 4 more men from our PRT in Faizabad in the last hour. Several others are wounded. They were on a joint mission with Belgian and ANA units.

Looks like an Eagle IV got hit either by RPG fire or by the IED which also blew up.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe because the combination of range, hitting power and surveillance capabilities is the reason.

In the end the Milan proofed valuable in Afghanistan and the TOW is the bigger brother.

Firn

Yeah, may be a possibility.

The TI and range may come in handy not only to dug out well hidden enemies but also for general surveillance.

Edit: A f*** we lost 4 more men from our PRT in Faizabad in the last hour. Several others are wounded. They were on a joint mission with Belgian and ANA units.

Looks like an Eagle IV got hit either by RPG fire or by the IED which also blew up.
Terrible weeks, indeed. It seemed to have happened in the context of larger engagement or operation. The days of the relative calm north are long gone.

TOW and TI seem help in quite some situation. A good sight with an accurate missile with a heavy warhead at their fingertips is good news, especially considering the (understandable) limitations placed on the use of heavy indirect fire.

A rack with 2-4 Bunkerfausts attached to the machineguns or some other weapon stations of vehicles might be good a idea, especially for the lighter ones. It would allow them to get quickly relatively accurate and devastating HE on target.

Firn

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
99% of these rockets don't hit their intended target.
Sadly the remaining 1% is what causes these losses.

As for a rack of Bunkerfaust rounds on a weapons station.
IMO this is not a viable solution. Such a rack would mean additional weight which has to be moved by the weapons station.

I also think that several normal Bunkerfausts employed by the dismounts offer a higher degree of flexibility.

Often enough the troops in Afghanistan also carry Milan ATGMs on their Fuchs APCs for use against high value targets at long and middle distances directly from the vehicles.

Firn

99% of these rockets don't hit their intended target.
Sadly the remaining 1% is what causes these losses.
In the usual modus operandi even the 1% seems to be overestimated. My guess is that the rocket/rockets were positioned not that far away, camouflaged and rigged to a triggering mechanism and/or were sighted and corrected in. Still it was a long shot and sadly an effective one. I really hope that we will see a working ADS like AMAP-ADS. It could be a [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9rYssjE-Q"]YouTube- AMAP ADS.mp4[/nomedia], especially it should be also suitable for light vehicles like the Eagle. Of course due to the relative light passive armor and the heavy warhead it will remain a threat.

As for a rack of Bunkerfaust rounds on a weapons station.
IMO this is not a viable solution. Such a rack would mean additional weight which has to be moved by the weapons station.

I also think that several normal Bunkerfausts employed by the dismounts offer a higher degree of flexibility.

Often enough the troops in Afghanistan also carry Milan ATGMs on their Fuchs APCs for use against high value targets at long and middle distances directly from the vehicles.
The intent is to give light vehicles with light weapon stations a light and readily available and mulitfunctional rapid HE-projection capability, especially useful in breaking ambushes. One or two with a 20-40kg rack should suffice, but more on heavier remote stations could make sense. The Panzerfaust is readily available and the load can also be used by the infantry, with all the advantages.

Milan and TOW bring different capabilities to the table and make perfectly sense considering the METT-TC.

Firn

Last edited: