MSNBC writes an article on Pakistan... let me break it down.

darklegent

I would never believe a word that the American Inteligance Agengies say ever. Its more of a selk interest propaganda then the truth.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Yeah man what is Tarmuk?? :? I haven't heard of anything named Tarmuk in Pakistani arsenal and I doubt that an MSNBC reporter would have any inside info on Pakistani missiles. :roll

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
shamayel said:
Yeah man what is Tarmuk?? :? I haven't heard of anything named Tarmuk in Pakistani arsenal and I doubt that an MSNBC reporter would have any inside info on Pakistani missiles. :roll

Pakistan may have Tarmuk but under different name or changed it:

The commission report also said Pakistan’s missile infrastructure
is "more advanced than that of North Korea"and "developed quite
rapidly"with technical help from China and North Korea.

"Pakistan currently possesses nuclear-capable M-11 [short-range
ballistic missiles] acquired from China, and it may produce its own
missile, the Tarmuk, based on the M-11."

US officials said a test firing of the new Tarmuk missile is
expected in the next several weeks. State Department has already
announced sanctions on KRL and a North Korean missile manufacturer
for violating US export laws related to the Missile Technology
Control Regime.
This quote is from DAWN. It maybe true it may not be but atleast Msnbc isn't the only one talking about it. :alian

Another interesting quote from Atomic Scientists:

Beginning in 1992, Pakistan received 30 or more complete M-11 missiles from China. Subsequently, it has had Chinese assistance in constructing maintenance and storage facilities. Pakistan may produce its own missile, the Tarmuk, based on the M-11.

Pakistan's reverse-engineered Chinese M-9 missile, the Shaheen-1 (Eagle), has a range of 700 kilometers and can carry a payload of 1,000 kilograms. Pakistan conducted the initial flight test of the Shaheen from the coastal town of Sonmiani on April 15, 1999. Islamabad claims its two-stage Shaheen-2 medium-range missile, unveiled at the Pakistan Day parade on March 23, 2000, has a range of 2,500 kilometers and can carry a 1,000-kilogram payload. The missile is carried on a 16-wheel mobile launcher. It is possible that both missiles have a nuclear capability.
This tells us something more about Tarmuk being M-11 variant, again Pakistan may have changed its name to hatf-3 and that is why we were having problem believing what msnbc was saying.

Another thing is Shaheen-2 has range of 2500 KM which is 500KM more than what is reported today. Smell something fishy? :D Pak govn. telling less range than it first announced, I smell caution on Musharraf's part. :D

Q: This 1,300 kilometer missile, is that a new missile or just...

A: No. They tested it back in April. They've been working on it for some time. We described it extensively in the report, Proliferation Threat and Response, which we issued last November. If you've lost your copy we'd be glad to get you a new copy.

They also have been working on a shorter range missile called the Tarmuk. I believe that has a range of 500-600 kilometers, but I'd have to double check that. That's also discussed in the Proliferation Threat and Response report.
This quote from
DoD News Briefing
Tuesday, June 2, 1998 - 1:45 p.m. (EDT)
Mr. Kenneth H. Bacon, ASD (PA)

:idea2 So maybe MSNBC is correct and we are also correct the difference is only in the name given to that missile. :D2

AK_PAK

Another thing is Shaheen-2 has range of 2500 KM which is 500KM more than what is reported today. Smell something fishy? Pak govn. telling less range than it first announced, I smell caution on Musharraf's part.
Now that's smart. :smokingc:

Sayem55

To be honest, even Karachi evening news papers do better than this MSNBC report. It's an ultimate BS ... condemning what they wrote earlier in the report.