MIG 31 perfect replacement for Iranina F14s?

shaun

Can they support these aircraft? I know the petro dollar's have been pouring in from China Iran's number One customer I think but they seem to be buying precious little with them for their airforce could one day we see an arms for oil deal between the two maybe not so much hardware but possibly technical support?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using the MIG 31 as a super sonic awacs, capable of supporting other assets offensively would provided any user of the MIG 31 immense situational awareness and flexibilty. I imagine that MIG 31s could be used to support flights of JF17s providing long range radar info, co-ordination and also fire support.
Combining JF17s with small numbers of MIGs would make the whole package cost effective.
Well lets start with the fact that they don't have compatible comm gear. Lets continue with the fact that the MiG-31's radar isn't all that impressive by modern standards. Lets finish with the fact that the MiG-31 would be quite expensive. For that money it would make more sense to just acquire actual AEW aircraft.

MagnumGTO

even strange to think for what Iranian could wish to have that clearly specific aircraft wich was made for clearly specific targets with clearly specific tactic of its use. In Russia it made it's job perfect of course. course it's made to make to do it.
1. To work like AWAKS it have to send it's data for somthing fighter that so advanced that could succesfuly intercept that what Mig-31 would find.So question one isnt to buy fighter ll be first question.
2.Mig-31M with incredably Zaslon M radar is not produced, and not planned to produced, R-37 missile was made in Ukrania and are not produced(or its head, ...forget).This fact was iluminated by one Big gue from af(he's planing purchasing in 200*) .
3.It ll be not impress if similar flight of mig-31 twise more expensive than Su fighter
4.Zaslon M radar was extraordinary thing. But Irbis radar have more impressive range.
now, Irbis radar could be set on su-35 and Mig-31 (modernisation of mig-31 by irbis had planed from ~2009)and here is question -Irbis of Su-35 equiped by mechanic of radar mirror.irbis of Mig-31 are not.And Su-35 get incredably scanning sector of it's radar(isn't it the only one 2d electronic scaning radar with mechanic homing on fighter), there is one trouble that on export version this angles are deeply cuted, but whatever it's wider than the same on mig-31.Su-35 Irst is nowday dettector, Mig-31 equipped by old heatseeker (in different with Mig-31M).So su-35 better in Awacs role nowday(compare with all other other fightters). Russian version incredably, I bet .

here we go Russian long range missile are researching now .range would be 200km, could be sat the same on su-35 and Mig-31. then What reason to choise specific high altitude interceptor inded maneuvrable fighter.

to the end
Feanor what did you mean when said that Zaslon M is nothing special .And which Fighter Radar until now have came in to that range, that Had Zaslon M ?