Joing The Australian Army!

Snayke

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/careers_explorer/Army514.html

Indeed, the only full-time commando unit is in Holsworthy.

The Australian Army only has one full-time Commando unit. On successful completion of your Special Forces Entry Test you will be moved to 4th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment which is located at Holsworthy, NSW. It is here that you will commence your Commando initial employment and reinforcement training and if successful, it is here that you will be posted.

Holsworthy is located approximately 50 km west of the Sydney central business district. Holsworthy provides easy access to Canberra, the Blue Mountains and the South Coast of NSW, with convenient freeway and rail links to central Sydney and Sydney Airport.

FLO

Cheers Lads,

Ive googled 4RAR but its mostly about history etc, like i said im bringing out three kids (15,9 and 4) so im trying to find out as much info on the location, schools etc. Ive tried googling holsworthy but all i get is info on the bush fires. So at least i know to get fire insurance:) . My eldest want to join the services as well but is interested in regular army, not commando to his dads disgust. But we always have conflab in our household with myself being Royal Navy and hubby being Royal Marine, so who knows he may even join the air force just to see us off:gun

Ive found the Defence housing site and its given some info on Married quarters etc, from what i can make out they are all private hirings and in with the general community, unlikee over here in Britain/ Germany where everyone is in the same area.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
FLO said:
Hi boys, just thought i would jump on the bandwagon. Ive just found this forum by pure chance and thought what the hell lets join!! i am a former Wren (Royal Navy) and my hubby is a serving bootneck (Royal Marine Commando) we are in the process of moving to Oz where hubby is transferring to the Oz army. Any info would be much appreciated as we are bringing our three sprogs with us. Anyway glad to be aboard and look forward to the banter.:)

fiona
Hi Fiona, apols for the late welcome! I trust you're fitting in?

FLO said:
Ive found the Defence housing site and its given some info on Married quarters etc, from what i can make out they are all private hirings and in with the general community, unlikee over here in Britain/ Germany where everyone is in the same area.
The majority of housing is now in the suburbs as the ADF didn't want to create a Panda syndrome - it has its pluses and minuses. The beauty of the Def Housing homes is that they are usually not that old, are well looked after and of a decent size. They also tend to be either investment homes leased back to Def Housing, or they're owned outright by Def Housing (not too many like that now as I think they're focussing on selling off most sites)

If you have a suburb in mind, then I'm sure one of us can give you a rundown of what its like.

cheers. gary

FLO

Cheers Gary,

Unfortunately i dont know what area apart from Holsworthy, there seems to be very little on the internet, so i suppose i'll just have to wait until they send us our homefinder pin number. Im not too bothered where we will be relocated just as long as the house is a desent size. Ive heard that the houses in sydney can be quite small as land is at a premium, so im just a bit worried about what they mean by small, (in comparison to british sizes).

cheers for the welcome

fiona

Snayke

Joining The Australian Army!

Holsworthy base is pretty big. On the north side of the base where I think most of the housing and things are (on the map it had streets and fields), that area is close to Lakembla and such. I forgot what the closest suburb was. Sorry. :S

Last edited by a moderator:

Snayke

What about riflemen? ;)

It's either that, or I do a course at ADFA and then become do army intelligence or something like that. I forgot what specific job it was that recruiter told me.

Stryker001

Banned Member
If you wish to be employed in the Intelligence area, its advisable not to inform people of the fact. Simliar to applications for other intelligence agencies, as informing people can affect the application.

mach

A lot of crazy and horrible iraqi terrorists are there waiting for you If you are dispatched to Iraq as a soldier.

Snayke

Australia are in one of the safest provinces in Iraq IIRC. Not too many will be waiting for us. :p Besides, we really don't have too many soldiers in Iraq.

shrub

dday said:
My mate joined, he hated it. He now belongs to the New Zealand army and he loves it. He also moved there and says the same about it, now i am considering it.
for my mate is was the opposite, he hated the kiwi army so he transfered into the aus army and loves it