Japan F-18 Super Super Hornet?

Does anyone think the Eurofighter really has a chance given how strong the ties are between Japan and the US? I'd like to think it does as we could do with a cash injection in the UK and the jobs would be nice but I just can't see past a US victory here.

A

Aussie Digger

Does anyone think the Eurofighter really has a chance given how strong the ties are between Japan and the US? I'd like to think it does as we could do with a cash injection in the UK and the jobs would be nice but I just can't see past a US victory here.
About a 1 in 3 chance I'd say...

Honestly no idea. Japan has a strong history of choosing US aircraft and if push ever comes to shove, it won't be Eurofighter equipped nations coming strongly to Japan's defence, but rather the USA.

In all honesty I don't see what Eurofighter offers Japan in this competition. Japan is not looking for an air to air fighter. It is looking for a fighter to replace the F-4, an aircraft that is used to provide a maritime strike capability and a secondary air defence capability.

I doubt even JW Cook would come on here and try and argue that maritime strike is a strength of the Eurofighter aircraft...

Scorpion82

Honestly no idea. Japan has a strong history of choosing US aircraft and if push ever comes to shove, it won't be Eurofighter equipped nations coming strongly to Japan's defence, but rather the USA.
Well if the US would say "either buy our stuff or we won't help you anymore" one wonders what kind of Ally the US is.

In all honesty I don't see what Eurofighter offers Japan in this competition. Japan is not looking for an air to air fighter. It is looking for a fighter to replace the F-4, an aircraft that is used to provide a maritime strike capability and a secondary air defence capability.

I doubt even JW Cook would come on here and try and argue that maritime strike is a strength of the Eurofighter aircraft...
Maritime strike is the primary mission of the F-2. It's true that F-4's don't perform AA missions only, but they did back when they were introduced and to my understanding airdefence is still an important mission. The F-4 merely complements the F-15 and F-2 in their respective roles. Either of the three candidates (Eurofighter, Super Hornet and Lightning II) could perform these roles.

rip

The real advantage to the Japanese to use America air craft presuming that they meet their requirements, has far more to do with mutual support. Like in battle damage, co-use of facilities and replacement parts during combat than it is to any political considerations. Think of a Japanese plane landing for some good reason on an American base in Japan while fighting is going on or an American plane on a Japanese base within Japan. Same fuel, same parts, same ammunition with ground crew with similar skills and expertise. Some people they call it a force multiplier.

A

Aussie Digger

Well if the US would say "either buy our stuff or we won't help you anymore" one wonders what kind of Ally the US is.
That has got absolutely nothing to do with it. US can't support or supply a Typhoon jet. It CAN support and supply F/A-18E/F and JSF...

Maritime strike is the primary mission of the F-2. It's true that F-4's don't perform AA missions only, but they did back when they were introduced and to my understanding airdefence is still an important mission. The F-4 merely complements the F-15 and F-2 in their respective roles. Either of the three candidates (Eurofighter, Super Hornet and Lightning II) could perform these roles.
AA Yes. Eurofighter and JSF will both need significant development before they are capable of undertaking maritime strike roles.

Super Hornet can do all these roles today, so I guess the relative urgency of such things will be a fair indicator of which airframe might get up. Personally I see the Super Hornet as the better aircraft for this particular role with local development work mirroring the Super Hornet International path to meet local industrial requirements, with the JSF being a better fit for an eventual F-2 replacement and the F-15SE being a candidate for the sort of upgrade Japan should be looking at to keep it's F-15 relevant and capable in the immediate future with the AT-X to be the long term F-15 replacement.

Regards,

AD

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
they don't, but what they do is also provide australia with access and entry to a whole pile of other warfighting platforms and force integration opportunities that the UK could not and cannot possibly even attempt to provide.

in procurement you just don't buy a platform - you get a whole pile of other things as well depending on your relationship

the reality is that the UK cannot compete with the US when it comes to the provision of systems, and sympathetic solutions that work within our force development and vision.

nobody wants an orphan, and for aust, aircraft that are capable such as Rafale, Eurofighter are not as integration friendly as a US solution. and the integration is at a CSS/Theatre level, not a platform level.

Scorpion82

The Typhoon is fully NATO compliant and I don't think that interoperability would be such a great issue here. The JASDF operates its own types with its own weapons like the F-2 for example. I don't see why a Typhoon should be any more difficult to be integrated into the force structure in general and the ties wouldn't break just because Japan would by a non US fighter. Close collaboration with the US would still be possible, except the US changes its position and states that it won't collaborate any more if a non US type would be selected.
It's true that the Typhoon would need some "development" to perform naval strikes, but it's merely about selecting and integrating a suited weapon. The weapons system should support such operations. While I don't think that the Japanese will opt for a non US solution such an approach could have its own merits, but there are ever pros and cons which have to be considered. I think the F-35 is a more viable candidate to replace the F-15 in the mid term. Whereas an existing more mature type like the Typhoon or Super Hornet are better suited as near term replacements for the F-4.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Typhoon is fully NATO compliant .
It's not its NATO compliance that is the issue here.

eg the US provides aust with access to a broad range of capability way beyond the issue of just a single platform procurement decision

we don't just look at what a platform brings to the table, we look at overall force issues, we look at systems issues.

apart from the fact that the typhoon does not provide us with a capability path within our future force and systems constructs, the UK is in not in any position to have an influence at the broader systems and force planning requirements. ie its a systems issue more than its a platform decision

procurement, planning and force development for procurement is a systems decision just as warfighting is.

Its why countries with UK based CSS are more than likely to buy UK developed weapons systems and solutions - irrespective of whether other countries may off integration friendly or compliant capabilities.

Scorpion82

@gf,
we are talking about Japan here aren't we...? As mentioned before, purchasing a platform doesn't mean that the country has to abandon everything else. At the end of the day it's up to the country in question to elaborate on whether a new platform fits the existing and/or possibly planned system or not. I just don't see why a Typhoon shouldn't fit the JASDF's force structure, it's not like they are going to buy a Russian plane which would be entirely incompatible on all fronts. There would be no need for the UK or the rest of the partner nations for that matter to supply Japan with a whole warfighting system. The Japanese need to integrate the platform of choice into their existing structure.

Musashi_kenshin

I agree with Scorpion in as far that the Typhoon can serve Japan's immediate needs for a new fighter. Japan shouldn't forever be tied to US equipment. If Typhoon can operate with other NATO members efficiently, I don't see why it would be such a problem for Japan to go for it as well.

Sure, the easy option is to go with the Super Hornet for now and get F-35s later. But that doesn't mean it's best thing to do. Unless of course some people could be more specific and spell out exactly what's on the cards from the US if Japan buys the Super Hornet, which it can't get if it chooses the Typhoon.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
@gf,
we are talking about Japan here aren't we...? As mentioned before, purchasing a platform doesn't mean that the country has to abandon everything else. At the end of the day it's up to the country in question to elaborate on whether a new platform fits the existing and/or possibly planned system or not. I just don't see why a Typhoon shouldn't fit the JASDF's force structure, it's not like they are going to buy a Russian plane which would be entirely incompatible on all fronts. There would be no need for the UK or the rest of the partner nations for that matter to supply Japan with a whole warfighting system. The Japanese need to integrate the platform of choice into their existing structure.
Yes, the discussion is about Japan, what GF was attempting to point out is that in discussing the merits for Platform A vs. Platform B for various roles, it (still) is not just about which particular platform is cheaper/faster/longer-ranged/whichever particular platform metric people attempt to compare...

Systems constructs involve more than just whether or not a particular sensor, comm system, or weapon is NATO compliant or not. Part of the systems construct is going to involve methodologies, operating practices, and non-standardized systems. Take helicopters for instance. Most helicopters have tail rotors for flight stabilization, to keep the helicopter from essentially spinning around. US and Euro 'copters have their respective tail rotors (generally) designed to spin in opposite directions from one another, and this is a result of design and (helicopter) system elements like the turboshaft and engine. While not necessarily a major issue, if Japan where to consider purchasing a new military helicopter, some consideration would need to be given before Japan would proceed to purchase a 'left' spinning helicopter if the current helicopter fleet were all 'right' spinning, or vice versa.

With that above, whatever Japan (or any other country looking to purchase kit) chooses to purchase, needs to be able to fit into the current and projected future system constructs, during the service life of the piece of equipment. While being NATO compliant is a start, there is more to system construct integration than just that. Given the extensive amount of R&D the US does, as well as the formidable logistical footprint the US maintains, those both could give a US-based product an advantage in a competition, especially with a country like Japan which already utilizes a significant amount of US kit, or US-based kit designs.

-Cheers

swerve

Super Moderator
... Take helicopters for instance. Most helicopters have tail rotors for flight stabilization, to keep the helicopter from essentially spinning around. US and Euro 'copters have their respective tail rotors (generally) designed to spin in opposite directions from one another, and this is a result of design and (helicopter) system elements like the turboshaft and engine. While not necessarily a major issue, if Japan where to consider purchasing a new military helicopter, some consideration would need to be given before Japan would proceed to purchase a 'left' spinning helicopter if the current helicopter fleet were all 'right' spinning, or vice versa.
-Cheers
Guess what? Japan has bought European helicopters for both its navy (oops! maritime self-defence force) & coast guard. Assembled by Kawasaki, two types purchased & currently being delivered, further orders thought likely.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Guess what? Japan has bought European helicopters for both its navy (oops! maritime self-defence force) & coast guard. Assembled by Kawasaki, two types purchased & currently being delivered, further orders thought likely.
I was just using the helicopter turboshaft & tailfin rotor as an example of different 'system' elements within a platform. Originally I was considering using left or right-side driver's seats. Other very good examples of standardized format which can impact purchases would involve multimedia formatting (PAL vs. NTSC) as well as Region Coding. Other examples cover things like electrical appliances. A 100v, 60 Hz HDTV purchased in Osaka could be used in Mainz, but a series of adapters and converters would likely be required, not only to allow the different plugs to physically fit, but also to allow for the change in voltage given that Germany uses 230v at 50 Hz...

While these are defence related items, they do illustrate that different areas have different approaches to things, and such differences can be important.

-Cheers

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@gf,
yes we are

my reference to australia is to show context for the requirements of any country procuring an asset

you do realise that one of the significant issues for Japan is force comms integration - and that a significant part of that issue is already handled when the japanese train with the US and other partners.

they comms through a common US link - not through euro systems

my oblique reference might have been a bit too subtle - but the intent was that RIMPAC gives an example of the integration issues.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I agree with Scorpion in as far that the Typhoon can serve Japan's immediate needs for a new fighter. Japan shouldn't forever be tied to US equipment. If Typhoon can operate with other NATO members efficiently, I don't see why it would be such a problem for Japan to go for it as well.
the reality is that the japanese (like australia in my prev attempted example) will make a choice that is not platform centric, but systems centric and based on force, training, development familiarity. Or for both Aust and Japan, what other things that the US can provide us that makes force construction far more attractive with a US selected asset

Sure, the easy option is to go with the Super Hornet for now and get F-35s later. But that doesn't mean it's best thing to do. Unless of course some people could be more specific and spell out exactly what's on the cards from the US if Japan buys the Super Hornet, which it can't get if it chooses the Typhoon.
again, using an australian example, the US provides us with access to systems, technology development, planning participation, ease of access into USN training processes, ease of access into USMC force development, access to NAVSEA and DARPA for parallel projects such as acoustics and hypersonics (much like we provide japan with some access to aust hypersonic progs) etc......

japan gets access into US intel for the PACRIM that the UK cannot even begin to match etc.... these are all considerations when countries look at major procurement.

Nobody just looks at just an asset/platform, they look at a number of other vectors, including the above, but by no means an incomplete example.

Scorpion82

you do realise that one of the significant issues for Japan is force comms integration - and that a significant part of that issue is already handled when the japanese train with the US and other partners.

they comms through a common US link - not through euro systems.
The question here is how different are those comm systems? European forces have to be able to communicate with the US forces as well and they do so on a regular base during exercises and real combat ops. Otherwise it would be difficult to work together and it obviously works. That's the reason why there are NATO standards, exactly to deal with such issues. Common standards for all kind of comm equipment from radios, IFF to datalinks, among others.

again, using an australian example, the US provides us with access to systems, technology development, planning participation, ease of access into USN training processes, ease of access into USMC force development, access to NAVSEA and DARPA for parallel projects such as acoustics and hypersonics (much like we provide japan with some access to aust hypersonic progs) etc......
And country X would loose all of this just by selecting a different platform? I see some logic behind the common training with the USN..., but most of the things you state don't appear to be linked to the platform itself. The JASDF F-15s don't share to much similarity these days with those of the USAF, they aren't any more or less well integrated than a F-2, F-4 or any other type in that force. I just don't see why it should be that difficult to select a non-US type, unless the US ties everything to the selection of the platform.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The question here is how different are those comm systems? European forces have to be able to communicate with the US forces as well and they do so on a regular base during exercises and real combat ops. Otherwise it would be difficult to work together and it obviously works. That's the reason why there are NATO standards, exactly to deal with such issues. Common standards for all kind of comm equipment from radios, IFF to datalinks, among others.
having worked on some comms integration programs, I can tell you that just because there is a NATO baseline doesn't mean that the integration is easy. the cost is in the integration. the US does have some significant leverage over other countries as they tend to be the piggy in the middle - they play with blue, red and white systems to a far greater level than anyone else - except possibly israel

And country X would loose all of this just by selecting a different platform? I see some logic behind the common training with the USN..., but most of the things you state don't appear to be linked to the platform itself.
that was the subtle message in my response..... platform procurement is not just a platform centric decision - its also a systems and capability centric choice.

The JASDF F-15s don't share to much similarity these days with those of the USAF, they aren't any more or less well integrated than a F-2, F-4 or any other type in that force. I just don't see why it should be that difficult to select a non-US type, unless the US ties everything to the selection of the platform.
and its a whole lot easier for the japanese to attrit against US warstocks or active units than it is against spare euro gear. eg as the US did with Israeli in her various conflicts, they can war provision their friends with similar gear - or even generationally different gear within that platform class without the japanese disrupting their training etc...

the US doesn't tie things in with the decision. politically who do you think that japanese think is far likely to walk up to the edge of the forest with them if there is a bear in the woods? Europe or the US.

there is a realpolitik issue here. countries don't just buy gear by assessing that gear in isolation

at a force support level, at a force sustainment level, at a partner support level, at a political intent level, at an immediacy of support level, at a willingness to ride out (eg) chinese threats (soft power) level, I cannot see any reason why a tac planner, force planner would look at a euro asset over a US asset when it comes to pointy platform choices.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That makes you wonder why some countries choose equipment from different sources...
well, every country has its own reasons for platforms selection ... it is rarely just about the platform as considerations have to be made about a whole pile of other decision vectors..... in the case of japan, I'd argue that irrespective of their sometimes fractious relationship with the US that they would rather buy pointy gear from a partner who they also think is likely to back them up if and when things get messy with their big moody neighbour to the west....

in japans case, I think its more than a real consideration for them to make a decision based on whether their partner will just be a commercial box flogger, or whether they're likely to be hovering close by if they get into a fight...

not every country has the same issue to consider